Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 540

Thread: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Court?

  1. #471
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Why are these remarks 'unprecedented' only when a black democratic President says them?? -- The right has been screaming 'judicial activism' for years....

    Come on, righties, try to be a little self-aware of your own hypocrisy...


    What the **** does race have to do with it? my ****ing god, give it a ****ing rest already.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #472
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    That they are appointed for life is all the more reason that Congress would want to pull a few in from time to time.
    The purpose of the lifetime appointment is to ensure independence. It would be completely anathema to the separation of powers doctrine for Congress to grill any federal judge just because they don't like the judge's decision.

    Of course it's perfectly proper if the the judge in question is mentally unfit or has broken the law. Lower court judges have been impeached from time to time.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  3. #473
    Advisor Rapunzel52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    525

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The purpose of the lifetime appointment is to ensure independence. It would be completely anathema to the separation of powers doctrine for Congress to grill any federal judge just because they don't like the judge's decision.

    Of course it's perfectly proper if the the judge in question is mentally unfit or has broken the law. Lower court judges have been impeached from time to time.
    There is nothing wrong with questioning a SC justice or justices if congress feels they have overstepped their bounds.
    If it sounds like Marx and acts like Stalin...it must be Obama

  4. #474
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel52 View Post
    Boy, glad I asked for a link instead of just accepting your lies. Arresting for disagreeing with and refusing to explain rulings is quite a bit different.
    So the executive branch arresting judicial branch for the decisions they made. That's different how? lol

    If the case is because they didn't explain their decision, as if the executive branch has any say on how the judicial branch does their business, Clarence Thomas would never see daylight again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #475
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel52 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with questioning a SC justice or justices if congress feels they have overstepped their bounds.
    What does that have to do with an executive arresting judicial members?

    Man the hypocritical lengths you're going to by defending Gingrich's idiotic comments just so you feel you can strengthen your stance to take a jab at Obama is incredible.
    Last edited by poweRob; 04-10-12 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #476
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Essentially, President Obama is saying it should be upheld because it is popular, not because it is legally/Constitutionally correct.

    Wow. Just... wow!
    It's not unprecendented. Almost everytime I hear the rightwing talk about something else Obama did that's "Unprecendented" all it takes is second on Google to find instances of where...well it's not unprecendented and in fact pretty normal.

    In words echoed by Obama this week, Reagan reminded Americans that “in our democracy, it is the elected representatives of the people, not unelected judges, who make laws.” And Reagan warned what would happen if justices ignored that civics lesson: “If that happens,” he said, “the words of the documents that we think govern us will be just masks for the personal and capricious rule of a small elite.”
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #477
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So the executive branch arresting judicial branch for the decisions they made. That's different how? lol

    If the case is because they didn't explain their decision, as if the executive branch has any say on how the judicial branch does their business, Clarence Thomas would never see daylight again.
    Did not the 5th Circuit last week order to DoJ to explain statements made by Obama. 3 pages ? Single spaced ?

    Sorry, but the issue is not, and never has been, as you misstate it "arresting judges for decisions". Its that Congress has the write to interview judges about decisions. If a judge ignores a Congressional subpoena, lawfully prepared, then the Judge is in contempt of Congress. Works both ways

  8. #478
    Advisor Rapunzel52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    525

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Did not the 5th Circuit last week order to DoJ to explain statements made by Obama. 3 pages ? Single spaced ?

    Sorry, but the issue is not, and never has been, as you misstate it "arresting judges for decisions". Its that Congress has the write to interview judges about decisions. If a judge ignores a Congressional subpoena, lawfully prepared, then the Judge is in contempt of Congress. Works both ways

    The closest case to Ubama’s situation is probably when FDR tried to pack the Supreme Court with liberal justices.
    If it sounds like Marx and acts like Stalin...it must be Obama

  9. #479
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Don't forget that he also suggested that the whole Federal 9th Circuit should be dissolved because he doesn't agree with their liberal tendencies. Somehow the "genius" doesn't quite get the whole separation of powers dealie.
    Who cares? That's like saying what the guy next door says matters. He is not in a position of power nor will he ever be again.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  10. #480
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel52 View Post
    The closest case to Ubama’s situation is probably when FDR tried to pack the Supreme Court with liberal justices.
    Or....when Reagan said virtually the same exact thing Obama did.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •