Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 540

Thread: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Court?

  1. #181
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,526

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Well, that's not exactly magna from Harvard Law, is it?

    Me -- BA, Vanderbilt University, Tulane Law School, J.D., cum laude. Don't recall the exact GPA but around 3.5, top 15%.



    Well if you are as educated as you claim, You wouldn't put such blind faith in the certificates eh?



    So tell me, when this gets struck down, is that a mark on Obama's understanding of the Constitution or SCOTUS's?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #182
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Well if you are as educated as you claim, You wouldn't put such blind faith in the certificates eh?



    So tell me, when this gets struck down, is that a mark on Obama's understanding of the Constitution or SCOTUS's?
    IF it gets struck down I would say that it would be the mark of an irresponsible Supreme Court.

    Further explication by President Obama:

    We have not seen a court overturn a law that was passed by Congress on an economic issue like health care, that I think most people would clearly consider commerce. A law like that has not been overturned, at least since Lochner. Right? So we’re going to back to the ‘30s, pre-New Deal. And the point I was making is that the Supreme Court is the final say on our Constitution and our laws, and all of us have to respect it. But it’s precisely because of that extraordinary power that the court has traditionally exercised significant restraint and deference to our duly-elected legislature, our Congress. And so the burden is on those who would overturn a law like this.

    Now, as I said, I expect -- I expect the Supreme Court actually to -- to recognize that and to abide by well-established precedents out there. I have enormous confidence that, in looking at this law, not only is it constitutional, but that the court is going to exercise its jurisprudence carefully because of the profound power that our Supreme Court has.

    As a consequence, we’re not spending a whole bunch of time planning for contingencies. What I did emphasize yesterday is, there is a human element to this that everybody has to remember. This is not an abstract exercise.

    Full Transcript: Barack Obama speech before newspaper editors - The Washington Post
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    [QUOTE=AdamT;1060361158]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    WorldNetDaily?

    And it contains no facts that suggest that Obama was elected as president of the HLR because of his race.

    Did you even read your own link?

    In other words, he could not have been selected for Law Review based on his race, because the people grading the submissions have no idea what the race is of the applicants. Epic fail.
    It's you who have apparently nit been reading the links because they all pointed to race as a factor.

    And unless you provide which sources are not acceptable to you I'll just keep submitting those which relate to the facts. I sent that one because it referred to this sentence.

    I must say, however, that as someone who has undoubtedly benefited from affirmative action programs during my academic career, and as someone who may have benefited from the Law Review’s affirmative action policy when I was selected to join the Review last year, I have not personally felt stigmatized either within the broader law school community or as a staff member of the Review. Indeed, my election last year as President of the Review would seem to indicate that at least among Review staff, and hopefully for the majority of professors at Harvard, affirmative action in no way tarnishes the accomplishments of those who are members of historically underrepresented groups.
    Are you claiming that the author of that sentence is a liar?

    In fact this is one of those times he's telling telling the truth.

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    IF it gets struck down I would say that it would be the mark of an irresponsible Supreme Court.

    Further explication by President Obama:
    Here's response to the dimwittedness of that speech, where the facts of the matter were laid out quite clearly.

    Do NOT refer to BHO when it comes to points of law, or the Constitution.

    The Man Who Knew Too Little - WSJ.com

  5. #185
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,526

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    IF it gets struck down I would say that it would be the mark of an irresponsible Supreme Court.

    So you believe that the FEDGOV has the right to force you to pay for health insurance or pay a fine?

    Further explication by President Obama:



    " And the point I was making is that the Supreme Court is the final say on our Constitution and our laws, and all of us have to respect it. "


    and we call that backtracking. He was NOT making that point....



    Face it, this law oversteps the constitutional authority of the federal government. Obama knows this, which is why he is posturing the way he is. You put a blind faith in the man's education, as if educated people can never be wrong.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #186
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    [QUOTE=Grant;1060361214]
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post

    It's you who have apparently nit been reading the links because they all pointed to race as a factor.

    And unless you provide which sources are not acceptable to you I'll just keep submitting those which relate to the facts. I sent that one because it referred to this sentence.



    Are you claiming that the author of that sentence is a liar?

    In fact this is one of those times he's telling telling the truth.
    I've never denied that affirmative action may have played a role in his admission to Columbia and Harvard. But it had nothing to do with his success AT Harvard.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #187
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    So you believe that the FEDGOV has the right to force you to pay for health insurance or pay a fine?






    " And the point I was making is that the Supreme Court is the final say on our Constitution and our laws, and all of us have to respect it. "


    and we call that backtracking. He was NOT making that point....



    Face it, this law oversteps the constitutional authority of the federal government. Obama knows this, which is why he is posturing the way he is. You put a blind faith in the man's education, as if educated people can never be wrong.....
    Obama is correct, as most constitutional law experts have confirmed. But there is obviously no guarantee that this SC will follow precedent.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #188
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,526

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I've never denied that affirmative action may have played a role in his admission to Columbia and Harvard. But it had nothing to do with his success AT Harvard.


    You do realize, harvard is pretty much a scam, once you are in, it's not a hard school, right?


    The Truth About Harvard - Magazine - The Atlantic
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post

    I've never denied that affirmative action may have played a role in his admission to Columbia and Harvard. But it had nothing to do with his success AT Harvard.
    So Barack Obama was lying when he wrote that letter and the NY Times was lying as well?
    Last edited by Grant; 04-04-12 at 09:35 AM.

  10. #190
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,526

    Re: Obama’s ‘Unprecedented’ Remarks: Is the President Running Against the Supreme Cou

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Obama is correct, as most constitutional law experts have confirmed. But there is obviously no guarantee that this SC will follow precedent.


    So SCOTUS aren't "constitutional experts"? and please, by all means, please back up with links and arguments backing up your "most" claim. Furthermore, which specific precedents are you refering to? This argument lacks much substance.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •