Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: High court upholds jailhouse strip searches(edited)

  1. #11
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,077

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How did you tie SCOTUS to Republicans again? I missed that part.
    Sorry. Not going to educate you on who appointed the SCOTUS' and how their rulings have been rather consistently partisan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #12
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,077

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It's not "the people." It's inside a prison. You do know that inmates have severely-restricted rights, yes?
    I acknowledge that. And I think its a jail not a prison and when you are arrested and jailed, you are detained, not guilty because your day in court hasn't happened yet.
    Last edited by poweRob; 04-02-12 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #13
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,570

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I acknowledge that. And I think its a jail not a prison and when you are arrested and jailed, you are detained, not guilty because your day in court hasn't happened yet.
    Either way, it's inside a prison; the same rules apply.

    Look, I may even disagree with the decision, but you're making it out to be something other than what it is.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Ya know after spending a couple of days in the hotel Lew Sterwart (Dallas County Jail) I'm glad many of the characters in there were stripped search.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,167

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So much for conservative values from our uber right wing 5 in the SCOTUS.


    High court upholds jailhouse strip searches

    In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled against a New Jersey man who was strip searched in two county jails following his arrest on a warrant for an unpaid fine that he had, in reality, paid.

    The decision resolved a conflict among lower courts about how to balance security and privacy. Prior to the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, lower courts generally prohibited routine strip searches for minor offenses. In recent years, however, courts have allowed jailers more discretion to maintain security, and the high court ruling ratified those decisions.

    In this case, Albert Florence's nightmare began when the sport utility vehicle driven by his pregnant wife was pulled over for speeding. He was a passenger; his 4-year-old son was in the backseat.

    Justice Anthony Kennedy said the circumstances of the arrest were of little importance. Instead, Kennedy said, Florence's entry into the general jail population gave guards the authorization to force him to strip naked and expose his mouth, nose, ears and genitals to a visual search in case he was hiding anything.


    This is where libertarians and I get along just fine in agreeing that the GOP believes that privacy is not a value of any kind for Americans because Republicans are too scared and IMO, this makes them too scared to run the country.

    Ben Franklin was right. We gotta get these activist cowards out of the Judicial system. They always side with authority over the people.


    I'm going to assume you don't know much of anything about law enforcement, jails and suchlike, because it certainly seems to be the case. I'm not belittling you, most people don't.

    The fact is that once you're in the jail, in custody, for whatever reason, the jail authorities are responsible for you. They're also responsible for the safety of other inmates, of staff and guards, and potentially of courtroom staff and lawyers and judges when you're transported to court, and so forth and so on.... also for maintaining order within the jail.

    Have you ever patted someone down or been patted down? Most people, even most cops, totally suck at pat-down searches. I could sneak a 12 gauge past an average pat-down. Even a technically-perfect pat-down search can easily miss well-hidden items.

    Whenever I took custody of someone I patted them down again, even with some other officer telling me "oh it is fine I just patted him down and he's clean." Do you know what I've found that way? Bags of drugs. Knives. Brass knuckles. Cigarette lighters. Once, a small pistol. Some of these dingbats would have put guys in the back seat of the cruiser behind them in possession of items that could easily be a danger to the cop, the perp, or another person in custody.

    Small contraband items can be hidden so throughly that NO Pat down will ever find them.

    I always hated doing strip searches. One of the reasons I hated doing them was because the subject of the search would almost always get very uncomfortable, and some of them looked like they were going to blow a fuse and do something stupid. So I always talked to them in mild tones and explained carefully what the proceedure was, and that if they cooperated that at no time would I be putting my hands on them at all.

    What I have a found in strip searches that pat-downs missed? Bags of weed, bags of coke, small containers of pills, small knives, razor blades, other things.

    Most cops do not like doing strip searches any more than I did, but we recognize the necessity in a custodial situation for everyone's safety.


    If your brother/sister/etc spent the night in jail for some minor public disorderly thing, and got shanked because staff didn't strip-search the drug dealer they brought in right after him/her, you'd probably be suing somebody right?

    Just some things to bear in mind.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #16
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Age, young or old, should not affect, the decisions to subdue and cuff depending on their actions

    Taking one into custody, they get cuffed and searched. Period.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    with our current prison / jail overcrowding issues, no one should be going to jail for an unpaid fine.

    if we want to throw people in jail for unpaid fines, we're going to have to build more jails. the jails right now have offenders packed in like sardines. it's no surprise that they have to strip search everyone.

    we truly need to re-examine the entire system and make some serious changes.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Which is exactly what this ruling is about.



    I see, all "accused" right or wrong are subject to whatever perversions the authority throws at them. You keep putting your faith in authority. I'll keep my faith with the people.
    So you think that people entering prisons should be allowed to bring weapons and drugs and other contraband in with them? Or do you think that people who have violated the law should be left to the honor system regarding weapons and drugs?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #19
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,077

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    So you think that people entering prisons should be allowed to bring weapons and drugs and other contraband in with them?

    Or do you think that people who have violated the law should be left to the honor system regarding weapons and drugs?
    Extremely stupid straw man there. I never said anything like that at all. Jail =/= prison. One is for guilty people and one is for detaining people who were recently arrested. This person was wrongfully detained for not paying parking tickets, when he had paid them, and stripped searched. Ridiculous.

    Let's see how supportive people are of this when some punk-assed 20 year old starts pulling pretty mothers and daughters over and books them for a peak. You have far too much trust in authority. But you are a modern conservative so always siding with authority is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #20
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Fear rules the right wing SCOTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Extremely stupid straw man there. I never said anything like that at all. Jail =/= prison. One is for guilty people and one is for detaining people who were recently arrested. This person was wrongfully detained for not paying parking tickets, when he had paid them, and stripped searched. Ridiculous.

    Let's see how supportive people are of this when some punk-assed 20 year old starts pulling pretty mothers and daughters over and books them for a peak. You have far too much trust in authority. But you are a modern conservative so always siding with authority is to be expected.
    Do you think police are capable of pulling people off the streets, bringing them to jail, and strip searching them without having to actually tell someone about and for what reason they're doing it?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •