Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 308

Thread: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

  1. #241
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This is just a hypothesis of mine and it isn't directed at anyone specific, but I'd be willing to bet good money that if the issue here was that the cashier had an allergy to a specific food, and the employer made their own decision to make an identical accommodation by putting such a request sign up, we'd see far fewer people complaining.

    I think the fact that this is based on religion, and an unpopular religion at that, makes this a more contentious issue than it would be if it was based on some other reason.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that some people might also object to a store owner's policy if, say, the employee in question was Christian and had requested people buying rubbers and other contraceptives use a different register.

    Or, for example, if the employee was an orthodox Jew who requested not to be scheduled on Saturdays?

    I worked in-house (as a freelancer) at a studio for a while where one of the artists was orthodox. He made a deal with the employer where he left every night before sundown he never worked on Saturdays. This was a broadcast studio where you could had frequent short deadlines and many of us had to work late into the night and through weekends. I was surprised that his coworkers didn't seem to have problems with it when they were digging in for a late-night crush and this guy was packing his bags at 5 pm. Why would they? The studio made the deal because the guy was very talented and did great work during his regular hours.

    I've had similar situations working at law firms that hired contract attorneys. Often they're young mothers who want to keep working, but only 9-5 and sometimes just 3-4 days/week. That can be a little irritating to the regular attnys who are working 60-70 hrs./wk, but everyone understands that it's the deal the associate and the firm cut.
    Last edited by AdamT; 04-03-12 at 10:57 AM.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    I understand why the manager did what he did.

    He wants to appear tolerant of other faiths, and understanding of the needs of his workers.

    However, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

  3. #243
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I understand why the manager did what he did.

    He wants to appear tolerant of other faiths, and understanding of the needs of his workers.

    However, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    How do you know that was their reason? Isn't it possible that she was just a very good employee and they didn't want to lose her?

    How would you feel if she was an orthodox Jew and the employer insisted that she work on Saturdays?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    How do you know that was their reason? Isn't it possible that she was just a very good employee and they didn't want to lose her?

    How would you feel if she was an orthodox Jew and the employer insisted that she work on Saturdays?
    isn't she a semi-new employee?

  5. #245
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    isn't she a semi-new employee?
    I don't know. The story doesn't say how long she was working there.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #246
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that some people might also object to a store owner's policy if, say, the employee in question was Christian and had requested people buying rubbers and other contraceptives use a different register.

    Or, for example, if the employee was an orthodox Jew who requested not to be scheduled on Saturdays?
    I'm sure some people would have issues with those things. People often treat religious reasons for doing/not doing certain things differently than would if it was due to some other cause.

    It's up to the employer if they want to accommodate those things, though.


    I worked in-house (as a freelancer) at a studio for a while where one of the artists was orthodox. He made a deal with the employer where he left every night before sundown he never worked on Saturdays. This was a broadcast studio where you could had frequent short deadlines and many of us had to work late into the night and through weekends. I was surprised that his coworkers didn't seem to have problems with it when they were digging in for a late-night crush and this guy was packing his bags at 5 pm. Why would they? The studio made the deal because the guy was very talented and did great work during his regular hours.

    I've had similar situations working at law firms that hired contract attorneys. Often they're young mothers who want to keep working, but only 9-5 and sometimes just 3-4 days/week. That can be a little irritating to the regular attnys who are working 60-70 hrs./wk, but everyone understands that it's the deal the associate and the firm cut.
    When I was running my construction company I had one guy who worked for me that always had to leave an hour earlier than everyone else because he had to pick up his kids from school. He also had to take off on days when his kids were off school. I made accommodations for him because he was an excellent worker.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #247
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    isn't she a semi-new employee?
    What's a semi-new employee?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #248
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Damn, I thought the road to Heaven was paved with good acts, seems the boss was laying a few good acts paving stones on that path.

    Thinking you can come up with 1,496 reasons why not, but that one reason to do so is because it is the right thing and that should be enough.

    I don't have to like it, it doesn't involve me. This is their business and ought to remain so. As mentioned many times above, many folks get 'special' treatment on a CASE BY CASE basis. Not just for religion, or marital status, union rule, sexual preference or gender.

    But because the boss wanted to keep the employee, shouldn't be a novel concept. Anything can be taken to an extreme, 'what if'd' to death.

    Seems like a no-brainer, but then again I was never the sharpest knife in the drawer so simple works for me.

  9. #249
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I understand why the manager did what he did.

    He wants to appear tolerant of other faiths, and understanding of the needs of his workers.

    However, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    I think you are wrong. I don't think it's about how Wegman's wants to "appear". From what I have read they've been dedicated to their community for almost 100 years. It seems to be the foundation of their business practice. To suggest that this once - because it is a Muslim lady - that Wegman's motivation is "appearance" is ridiculous.

    What do you mean the road to hell is paved with good intentions? Flesh that out in the context of the OP.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  10. #250
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    What do you mean the road to hell is paved with good intentions? Flesh that out in the context of the OP.
    Step 1: Allow company to make the decision to treat an employee in what all parties involved consider a respectful fashion
    Step 2: ????
    Step 3: Demonic profit!
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •