Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 308

Thread: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

  1. #161
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    What concern is it of yours? Now you want to make decisions as to how businesses decide to make a profit and how much profit is best? Shame on you. Unless you have a share of Wegman's you don't have a dog in the fight. Why should you care? Because the lady is a Muslim?
    If he shouldn't care, then neither should you. Or, are you saying that only "approved" opinions are welcome?

  2. #162
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    05-24-18 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,282

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Sorry, brother, but your argument started to suck hind tit as soon as you began making it. Wegman's made the changes and the changes probably include her job description. Wegman's seems pleased with its decision, why should you care?
    To be fair, Risky, this is a debate forum. Why should anyone care? We debate the affairs of private businesses and people all the time.

  3. #163
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,140

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Sorry, brother, but your argument started to suck hind tit as soon as you began making it. Wegman's made the changes and the changes probably include her job description. Wegman's seems pleased with its decision
    IOW, she does less work for the same amount of money as her co-workers. That's a stupid ass business decision.


    why should you care?
    One could ask you the same question.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  4. #164
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,050

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    good for their conscience maybe

    but bad for the bottom line.
    Bad for the bottom line? Show me.










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  5. #165
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    20,014

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    I think this is such a non issue. According to the OP there have been no complaints to date by the customers. Customers are happy, Employer is Happy, Employee is happy.

    Win win as far as i can see.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  6. #166
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,140

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Bad for the bottom line? Show me.
    If they have to hire pay another person to do the work that she can't--won't--that will cost the company more money. Surely no one needs to point that out to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  7. #167
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,140

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    I think this is such a non issue. According to the OP there have been no complaints to date by the customers. Customers are happy, Employer is Happy, Employee is happy.

    Win win as far as i can see.
    What about all the other employees who aren't getting special treatment?

    That would be like someone hiring with my company, to work in the oilfield, that is allergic to dust. They would have to look for another job.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  8. #168
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    But buying those items displays what your beliefs are - rather, what your beliefs are not. She is intolerant towards customers who don't have her beliefs. That is still religious discrimination. "If you don't believe what I do, I won't serve you."
    Not at all. If a Muslim was (hypothetically) to buy some pork/alcohol, she would also prefer not to serve them, too. She doesn't give a fig about their beliefs, what is affecting her is her beliefs about those two products.

    As to the UK law, I think it's silly. They should start their own butcher and not carry pork products, rather than trying to force the owner to accommodate them, and inconvenience their customers.

    Besides that, there are halal and kosher butchers. Why not work for them if you're so wound up about it?
    ...they do? The point of the UK law is to say that you can't create a job which will discriminate against a religion - unless the job inherently has some aspects which one religion might not like. Butchers (non-Halal) will inevitably be handling pork, so it's not discriminatory to state that in a job description.

    By counterexample - on the other hand, it would be clearly discriminatory for a job in a bank to include mandatory bacon sandwiches for lunch every day.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  9. #169
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If they have to hire pay another person to do the work that she can't--won't--that will cost the company more money. Surely no one needs to point that out to you.
    There is absolutely no plausible scenario in which they would have to hire an additional worker just to take up the slack of ringing up pork and booze at a register. After all, she's obviously not the sole cashier.
    Last edited by a351; 04-01-12 at 09:14 PM.

  10. #170
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,050

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If he shouldn't care, then neither should you. Or, are you saying that only "approved" opinions are welcome?
    Actually I don't care. Wegman's can do what Wegman's does. I don't know if Wegman's is public, but I don't own any stock. I've been to Rochester and thought it to be a very nice place with good people - cold as **** - but good people.

    I live in near a little town in the desert. We like that. I don't know that we have anything in common with Rochester. But, I don't support the idea of citizens telling a local grocer what it should or should not do. That is the issue as I see it. It is no one's business.










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •