Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 308

Thread: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

  1. #121
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    This is a decision made by an employer of a private business, and as such they have the right to allow whatever exceptions they want. If this was going to come up, I'm glad it was dealt with personally rather than governmentally.

    But as others have brought up, there's a really bad precedent for this. People being refused service for all kinds of reasons. What if she's the only person working the register? Are you just supposed to go home, or drive however many miles to go somewhere else, even though the store sells pork/alcohol which you are supposed to be allowed to purchase?

    How many people missed their flights and flushed a few hundred dollars down the drain because Muslim taxi drivers refused to transport their luggage if it contained alcohol?

    How many girls had preventable unwanted pregnancies because they were denied access to emergency contraception by Christian pharm techs?

    When you do a job, you are not representing yourself. You are representing the company you work for. If you cannot in good conscious do that, you should not work there.

    It's all good and well to be tolerant towards employees with different lifestyles and beliefs. But what about being tolerant towards CUSTOMERS with different lifestyles and beliefs?

    The customer can't help who happens to be the only person working the register, or the taxi driver they happened to run into, or the pharm tech they happened to run into. Why is it ok to discriminate against the customer, and deny them possibly vital service?

    Why are they offering a service that the customer can be denied access to at the whimsy of an employee?

    What's really ironic about this is that I'm on another thread about tattoos, and people are arguing that if you're going to display your personal beliefs with a tattoo, you should expect to be turned down for jobs.

    Yet if you express your personal beliefs by denying your customers services that you are supposed to offer, you should expect special treatment?

    I don't get this.
    I'm skeptical about this. If an employee does something 'on whimsy', they should expect to be fired for it by management. If the management are in cahoots with the 'whimsy', then the business itself may well suffer from it - but that's a problem for the business, rather than anything else; the free market will take care of it. I agree it would be a ridiculous situation to have a single cashier in a shop who refuses to sell products that are on offer in the shop. But any business which tries that model isn't going to survive for long.

    The exceptions I would make for this rule are when it involves something like racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia etc - or when it results in harm to the customer. So a pharmacist who refuses to serve a gay man buying condoms, a waiter who refuses to serve a mixed-race couple etc - they get rightfully sued. And a Jehovah's Witness shouldn't be working at a hospital if they plan on boycotting blood transfusions. Apart from that, though - private company, private rules.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  2. #122
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It's functionally no different than an express lane with a limit to the number of items.
    Yep.

    I agree.

    That's why I said the same thing in the OP.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Uppity?

    She wasn't expecting special treatment. As an employee she asked her employer for something and it was granted.

    Perhaps you should explain your reasons behind the use of the word uppity here........
    asking for special favors at a job, due to religious reasons, makes one uppity, in my view.

    has such a favor been granted to ANYONE else at the store?

  4. #124
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Yep.

    I agree.

    That's why I said the same thing in the OP.
    I knew you agreed, but I didn't recall it from the OP.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #125
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    asking for special favors at a job, due to religious reasons, makes one uppity, in my view.

    has such a favor been granted to ANYONE else at the store?
    Well, I hope you've never asked for time off, a pay raise, a change in schedule, a transfer in department, or anything else of the sort for any reason at all -- because asking for something for religious reasons is exactly the same as asking for that same something for any other reason whatsoever.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Well, I hope you've never asked for time off, a pay raise, a change in schedule, a transfer in department, or anything else of the sort for any reason at all -- because asking for something for religious reasons is exactly the same as asking for that same something for any other reason whatsoever.
    ive never asked for anything special at any job I have ever had, due to my faith.

  7. #127
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    ive never asked for anything special at any job I have ever had, due to my faith.
    Have you ever made a request of any kind to management at any time?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #128
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    I'm skeptical about this. If an employee does something 'on whimsy', they should expect to be fired for it by management. If the management are in cahoots with the 'whimsy', then the business itself may well suffer from it - but that's a problem for the business, rather than anything else; the free market will take care of it. I agree it would be a ridiculous situation to have a single cashier in a shop who refuses to sell products that are on offer in the shop. But any business which tries that model isn't going to survive for long.

    The exceptions I would make for this rule are when it involves something like racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia etc - or when it results in harm to the customer. So a pharmacist who refuses to serve a gay man buying condoms, a waiter who refuses to serve a mixed-race couple etc - they get rightfully sued. And a Jehovah's Witness shouldn't be working at a hospital if they plan on boycotting blood transfusions. Apart from that, though - private company, private rules.
    How is it any different to refuse service based upon the person not being the same religion as you? That's basically what this is. If you aren't Muslim and thus eating the way she eats, she will refuse you service.

    Like I said, I'm not saying they don't have the right to do it. They certainly do. But it's obviously and outrightly allowing an employee to be discriminatory in the workplace.

    You represent the company when you are at work, not your own personal beliefs.

  9. #129
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    …Most people think it's a good thing when people can come to such an agreement without invoking outside authorities. It's only people like you who think that's a bad thing.
    you're lying again Bob, as I've said nothing about govt. or govt. stepping in.
    Did you, or did you not write the following?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    its too bad the owner agreed to make accomodations for her "needs".

    id love to have seen this in court.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Sign at Wegmans draws attention

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Have you ever made a request of any kind to management at any time?
    due to my religion? nope.

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •