Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 344

Thread: Taking Liberties: Arrested for reading the Bible?

  1. #221
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I was under the impression that this was done on public property, not private.
    No one seems to know if this was done on public or private property. There's a lot of apparent mind readers in this thread that THINK they know for sure one way or another, but there seems to be conflicting legitimate evidence deeming it as a definitive fact either way

  2. #222
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No one seems to know if this was done on public or private property. There's a lot of apparent mind readers in this thread that THINK they know for sure one way or another, but there seems to be conflicting legitimate evidence deeming it as a definitive fact either way
    If it were done on private property, it's up to the property owner to make the decision. If it was done on public land, I still have a hard time seeing the fault.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #223
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    No, someone was arrested for violating a property owner's rights.

    The bottomline is property owners still have rights in this country.

    nice spin though, attempting to create the faux argument that our ancient and time honored right to own property is superceeded by anyone who wishes to invoke a religious tone to the trespass.

    That is was a book of myths and factually incorrect stories is beside the point.
    Err, since when is a DMV owned private property?

    I'm a bit on the fence with this one, I can see maybe the “captive audience” thing; but I’m not sure it’s really being applied well here. People were standing in line for the DMV, but no one actually had to listen. I don’t really see how this guy reading out of the bible was infringing upon the rights of others, and as such I’m well more inclined to not make something of the sort illegal. Though the government would likely use some BS excuse on permits as to why the dude was arrested (though I’m not so sure why we have to ask government’s permission all the damned time to exercise our rights). In the end, I’m more likely to call no harm no foul on this one. I don’t think he should have been arrested; but this street would go two ways as well. If some jerk atheist was sitting there preaching the evils of religion; we’d have to allow that too.
    I never knew "captive audience" was a legal term. I had always thought of it more of a Rhetoric term. I wonder what exactly they're getting at with this "captive audience" stuff. Personally, if someone around was saying something I didn't like, depending on how much I didn't like it, I'd either just ignore them or confront them about it.

    I hope this leads to the banning of screaming little children in restaurants. I hate ordering a meal and then having to sit and listen to a someone's spoiled kid scream about not getting the kind of shake they want. I obviously can't leave, since I already got a drink and even if I were to forget about my meal, I would still need to get the bill before I can walk out. Why should I have to put up with something that I find moderately distasteful?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  4. #224
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I didn't ignore the according to reports...the "reports" in question were irrelevant to the portion of your statement that was based on YOUR statements not the reports.
    If you didn't ignore them, then you would have accused me of being "absolute". Since I refer to the articles involved, that's not me injecting my opinion or being "absolute".

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The report in the OP made ZERO claims that its as "public property". That was YOUR absolute statement.
    Here's where you eat crow:

    Post #165 - link provided by guess who soccerboy.

    According to a news release from Advocates for Faith & Freedom, the men believed that they had a First Amendment right to free speech as they were standing in a planter within the parking lot and were located on public property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So, the OP doesn't claim what you suggest it claims. Care to point me to what you were actually meaning to reference then?
    So, since it was no absolute, and it was included in the link by the person you don't seem to have the same questions for who made the ONLY absolute statements, you've got no argument nor any valid grounds for an accusation. At least read the links before accusing me ... least you could do.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No i admitted that was the charges against them which most of them have been dropped by the judges... You asked for the charges, i gave you the charges, and most of them have been dropped.
    Now hold these standards you have against OWS and apply them to the guy preaching...
    You keep changing your story. You sound confused today. I have no idea what your original position is and I suspect you don't either.

  6. #226
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No one seems to know if this was done on public or private property. There's a lot of apparent mind readers in this thread that THINK they know for sure one way or another, but there seems to be conflicting legitimate evidence deeming it as a definitive fact either way
    There's also a lot of apparent hypocrites who only require one side of the issue to verify statements and not all of them.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Really? You state it was on a public sidewalk based on? Your initial article doesn't state this. Where are you getting that he was on a public sidewalk?
    I was responding to one of the posts in this thread. I said "If". If it isn't a public sidewalk, then let's determine if it is or not. I don't know. Do you?

  8. #228
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    If it were done on private property, it's up to the property owner to make the decision. If it was done on public land, I still have a hard time seeing the fault.
    Private property, yeah its not as big of a question. Public land, there's a lot of balls in the air on that. I do understand the notion that not all land that is "publicly owned" is subject to people being able to do whatever they want whenever they want on it. And I'm far from an expert on the notion of the legalities of permits for activities at things like a park or other such thing. As I said in my early post....if they let political crazies rant and rave about things at the DMV, this guy should be able to as well. However, if they don't let ANYONE begin their activities until the DMV opens or requires a permit, then at the very least this is less of an issue of "OMG THEY STOPPED A CHRISTIAN" and more that they just followed the laws/rules. At which case, yeah...an argument can be made those laws/rules are dumb, but the entire angle of "OMG WAR ON CHRISTIANS" is bull**** and just people using this for their political ends rather than having an actual issue with the laws.

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Private property, yeah its not as big of a question. Public land, there's a lot of balls in the air on that. I do understand the notion that not all land that is "publicly owned" is subject to people being able to do whatever they want whenever they want on it. And I'm far from an expert on the notion of the legalities of permits for activities at things like a park or other such thing. As I said in my early post....if they let political crazies rant and rave about things at the DMV, this guy should be able to as well. However, if they don't let ANYONE begin their activities until the DMV opens or requires a permit, then at the very least this is less of an issue of "OMG THEY STOPPED A CHRISTIAN" and more that they just followed the laws/rules. At which case, yeah...an argument can be made those laws/rules are dumb, but the entire angle of "OMG WAR ON CHRISTIANS" is bull**** and just people using this for their political ends rather than having an actual issue with the laws.
    I disagree. There is a war on traditional Christian America. We also have a "War on Women" and "Blacks are under attack".

    Haven't you heard? The USA has become a very violent nation since Obama was elected President.

  10. #230
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Here's where you eat crow:

    Post #165 - link provided by guess who… soccer boy.
    Thanks. I was confused since your post talked about the "OP Report" not "Soccerboy's report".

    Now, from your own quote, did you notice these words?

    According to a news release from Advocates for Faith & Freedom, the men believed that they had a First Amendment right to free speech as they were standing in a planter within the parking lot and were located on public property.
    I fully admit perhaps I'm reading that incorrectly, but it seems to be suggesting that the men BELIEVED they were standing on public property. Not that it absolutely WAS public property. The men BELIEVED they weren't doing anything wrong either, but at this point that seems rather up in the air as well. They hardly seem like expert judges.

    So, since it was no absolute, and it was included in the link by the person you don't seem to have the same questions for
    Why should I ask soccer boy to proven is absolute? You already asked that. I was commenting more on the fact that you were doing no different than he, yet demanding something of him that you yourself hadn't provided. The demand that he produce fact has already been put out there by yourself, there was no reason to repeat that. However, no such request that I saw was made to you.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •