Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 344

Thread: Taking Liberties: Arrested for reading the Bible?

  1. #201
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Can you post a link showing its public? You're making just as absolute a claim about the situation as him.
    My claim is that there's no evidence showing it's private, just like there's no claim showing it's public. I'm making no absolute anything...
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #202
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I rarely see Christians threaten people... it's possible just not very probable.
    Over 75% of the population is Christian.

    Are you suggesting that all or most of the crimes involving threads, assault, etc in this country are conducted by that other 25%?

  3. #203
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    My claim is that there's no evidence showing it's private, just like there's no claim showing it's public. I'm making no absolute anything...
    You do realize that we're on an online forum...

    One where I can go back and quote your previous statements?

    Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    They were, according to reports, 50 feet from the DMV, therefore it's public property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    trespassing on public property, allegedly 50 feet from the DMV door.
    Soccer's claim is at least backed up by the news story that suggests its not private property. YOUR absolute statements are backed up by.....nothing....yet you're demanding OTHER'S provide more proof than you

  4. #204
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You do realize that we're on an online forum...
    It's occurred to me once or twice yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    One where I can go back and quote your previous statements?

    Right?
    Sure.



    I made no absolute statement one way or the other. The first quote you ignored the "according to reports" - not according to me since I didn't write the articles. The second quote is not complete...

    Initially the charges were levied against two men, Meyer being one of them for misdemeanor"conducting a demonstration on state grounds without a permit". That was dropped, per the OP article to simple trespassing... trespassing on public property, allegedly 50 feet from the DMV door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Soccer's claim is at least backed up by the news story that suggests its not private property. YOUR absolute statements are backed up by.....nothing....yet you're demanding OTHER'S provide more proof than you
    I'm quoting the sources in the articles, which you're ignoring to fit your agenda - whatever that may be. Soccers claim, also not backed up by either the article OR any other evidence (though I asked for it to be posted) was an absolute claim, and not a reference to an article. Funny how you're not asking for absolute proof from him...

    You're a technical guy who likes to argue technical points. How is it that you're not able to do it in this case? Shall we get more technical and parse the definition of "absolute" now?
    Last edited by Ockham; 03-30-12 at 01:28 PM.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #205
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal N. Bloeme View Post
    No one got arrested for walking on public property.
    You sure about that?

    Brooklyn Bridge video: Police arrest Occupy Wall Street protesters - YouTube Street/bridge=Public
    NYPD Police Pepper Spray Occupy Wall Street Protesters (Anthony Balogna) - YouTube Sidewalk=public
    UC Davis Protestors Pepper Sprayed - YouTube UC Davis=public school
    Unbelievable protest footage. NYPD drag girl across the street - YouTube street=public


    They got arrested for vandelism, trespassing, rapes, robberies, muggings, etc,
    Sure their are violent sects (Very small minority) within the movement that the media likes to focus on..

    not to mention making a huge mess that the taxpayers are paying for.
    Yea they are the taxpayers too you know...


  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You do realize that we're on an online forum...

    One where I can go back and quote your previous statements?

    Right?





    Soccer's claim is at least backed up by the news story that suggests its not private property. YOUR absolute statements are backed up by.....nothing....yet you're demanding OTHER'S provide more proof than you
    If it's a public sidewalk, then how can the guy be arrested because he read from a book?

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-15-12 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,964

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    You sure about that?

    Brooklyn Bridge video: Police arrest Occupy Wall Street protesters - YouTube Street/bridge=Public
    NYPD Police Pepper Spray Occupy Wall Street Protesters (Anthony Balogna) - YouTube Sidewalk=public
    UC Davis Protestors Pepper Sprayed - YouTube UC Davis=public school
    Unbelievable protest footage. NYPD drag girl across the street - YouTube street=public



    Sure their are violent sects (Very small minority) within the movement that the media likes to focus on..


    Yea they are the taxpayers too you know...
    You're not being honest. Tell us what the charges were.

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal N. Bloeme View Post
    You're the one talking about feeling "threatened". Next time think of how dumb your point sounds before you make it so I don't have to share another snarky response. thanks.
    Whether I feel threatened or not, is not an idication someone else might not be. But I guess your stupid post assumes you cannot seperate the two.

    Typical conservative bull**** as usual. Your "undisclosed" lean is laughable when your posts scream of conserative BS.

  9. #209
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal N. Bloeme View Post
    You're not being honest. Tell us what the charges were.
    "Trespassing". "No permit". "Disorderly conduct". (aka we dont like your peaceful march).

    So were they arrested on public property? Yes or no? Was this guy arrested on public property? Yes what are his charges. disorderly conduct.... Just like OWS...


  10. #210
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal N. Bloeme View Post
    If it's a public sidewalk, then how can the guy be arrested because he read from a book?
    Fact is, just standing on a sidewalk could be considered "loitering" if a cop wanted to apply it that way and arrest you. Doesn't mean it will stand up in court...
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •