Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 344

Thread: Taking Liberties: Arrested for reading the Bible?

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    First, it's not a "demonstration"......
    I disagree.

  2. #142
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I disagree.
    Whether you disagree or not is irrelevent. If I went out there and read Green Eggs & Ham out loud to everyone would that be a demonstration? No it wouldn't.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #143
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 01:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    First, it's not a "demonstration". Second, the Riverside California proccess identifies a permit is required on public land when an event is "organized"

    BTW.. Hemet California is in Riverside County. This was not organized... therefore no permit was needed.

    City of Riverside - Vendor Template
    So if he didn't need a permit, since this wasn't an "organized" rally, what was this guy charged with?

  4. #144
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    So if he didn't need a permit, since this wasn't an "organized" rally, what was this guy charged with?
    The more appropriate question would be "what was he convicted of?". Just because a person is charged with something does not mean that they are guilty of something.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #145
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,815

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Didn't the US Supreme Court just rule on this concerning that asshole Hillsboro church shouting hate in religious context at a soldier's funeral? Not only could they NOT be arrested because they were on public land, they were not even breaking any civil law. This would be a slam-dunk lawsuit.
    Was it public land though? Fred Phelps and crew are very smart about not veering off the sidewalk. If he had remained on a sidewalk an not on what is potentially private property...

    In other words, who owns the land where this happened? I think that's an important question. If it's privately owned and the owner doesn't want that, then it's their right to say you can't do it. Especially since this was essentially a theater piece.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  6. #146
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    First, it's not a "demonstration". Second, the Riverside California proccess identifies a permit is required on public land when an event is "organized"

    BTW.. Hemet California is in Riverside County. This was not organized... therefore no permit was needed.

    City of Riverside - Vendor Template
    That is not quite true, because the DMV is state property, not public.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  7. #147
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The more appropriate question would be "what was he convicted of?". Just because a person is charged with something does not mean that they are guilty of something.
    From what I have found, a security guard asked them to stop and leave, they did not so the cops were called.

    Shortly after the men arrived at the DMV and began to simply read the Bible out loud, a security guard approached Mark Mackey as he was reading the Bible and told him to stop. The men believed that they had a First Amendment right to free speech as they were standing in a planter within the parking lot and were located on public property. Further, they were not interfering with any business of the DMV and were not yelling or disturbing the peace.

    About ten minutes later, a California Highway Patrolman approached Mr. Mackey as he read, took the Bible out of his hands, and arrested him.
    Which apparently is a violation of this code in CA,

    Any person who intentionally interferes with any lawful
    business carried on by the employees of a public agency open to the
    public, by obstructing or intimidating those attempting to carry on
    business, or those persons there to transact business with the public
    agency, and who refuses to leave the premises of the public agency
    after being requested to leave by the office manager or a supervisor
    of the public agency, or by a peace officer acting at the request of
    the office manager or a supervisor of the public agency, is guilty of
    a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for up to
    90 days, or by a fine of up to four hundred dollars ($400), or by
    both that imprisonment and fine.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  8. #148
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,815

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Whether you disagree or not is irrelevent. If I went out there and read Green Eggs & Ham out loud to everyone would that be a demonstration? No it wouldn't.
    What would be your point in reading Green Eggs and Ham is the important question.


    This guy knew he'd get arrested, which is why he went and did it, and why somebody taped it for him. It was a theatrical performance designed to be posted on YouTube and get the mindless sheep of the Religious Right all riled up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  9. #149
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    So if he didn't need a permit, since this wasn't an "organized" rally, what was this guy charged with?
    Initially the charges were levied against two men, Meyer being one of them for misdemeanor"conducting a demonstration on state grounds without a permit". That was dropped, per the OP article to simple trespassing... trespassing on public property, allegedly 50 feet from the DMV door.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #150
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Man Arrested For Reading The Bible Out Loud

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    That is not quite true, because the DMV is state property, not public.

    They were, according to reports, 50 feet from the DMV, therefore it's public property.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •