Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 161

Thread: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

  1. #1
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    U.S. joins the top execution club. I would rank U.S. 1st because of it's mistaken convictions.

    (NEW YORK) The United States was the only Western democracy that executed prisoners last year, even as an increasing number of U.S. states are moving to abolish the death penalty, Amnesty International announced Monday.

    America's 43 executions in 2011 ranked it fifth in the world in capital punishment, the rights group said in its annual review of worldwide death penalty trends. U.S. executions were down from 46 a year earlier. "If you look at the company we're in globally, it's not the company we want to be in: China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq," Suzanne Nossel, executive director of Amnesty International USA, told The Associated Press.



    Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz1qKEJuDod
    Last edited by RDS; 03-27-12 at 10:56 AM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Because we seem to lead the world in self-aggrandizing, entitled, soul-less, poorly-reared idiots.

  3. #3
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    USA! USA!

    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Because we seem to lead the world in self-aggrandizing, entitled, soul-less, poorly-reared idiots.
    We rank 5th in executions because "we seem to lead the world in self-aggrandizing, entitled, soul-less, poorly-reared idiots?"

    You don't make any sense.

  5. #5
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    U.S. joins the top execution club. I would rank U.S. 1st because of it's mistaken convictions.
    If it didn't take 10-20 years to execute many of those criminals we could be number one or two. I am sure scumbag sympathizers will see being one of the top 5 as a bad thing.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #6
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    ****ing pathetic.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  7. #7
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    I think we should go for the gold here and try for number #1.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #8
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    U.S. joins the top execution club. I would rank U.S. 1st because of it's mistaken convictions.
    The top 4 are guesstimates.

    Additionally, the comparison of crimes between the top 4 and the USA is stunning: political dissent, homosexuality, sorcery, adultery, etc vs murder.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If it didn't take 10-20 years to execute many of those criminals we could be number one or two. I am sure scumbag sympathizers will see being one of the top 5 as a bad thing.
    I don't understand why the death penalty is so popular, I don't see how it accomplishes anything. As you say it can take decades to put into affects, the costs of keeping a prisoner alive for that time plus legal costs to the government cost far far far more than keeping him alive for life. And it doesn't seem to deter any of the crimes that can bring the death penalty.

    Moral arguments aside, what are the practical reasons for the death penalty?

  10. #10
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't understand why the death penalty is so popular, I don't see how it accomplishes anything. As you say it can take decades to put into affects, the costs of keeping a prisoner alive for that time plus legal costs to the government cost far far far more than keeping him alive for life. And it doesn't seem to deter any of the crimes that can bring the death penalty.

    Moral arguments aside, what are the practical reasons for the death penalty?
    it provides members of society a false sense that we are actually doing something to mitigate criminality
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •