Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 161

Thread: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

  1. #11
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't understand why the death penalty is so popular, I don't see how it accomplishes anything. As you say it can take decades to put into affects, the costs of keeping a prisoner alive for that time plus legal costs to the government cost far far far more than keeping him alive for life. And it doesn't seem to deter any of the crimes that can bring the death penalty.

    Moral arguments aside, what are the practical reasons for the death penalty?
    The ultimate punishment for committing the most heinous of crimes.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #12
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,028

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    it provides members of society a false sense that we are actually doing something to mitigate criminality
    Or perhaps it culls the herd and creates needed prison space for that endless stream of n'er do wells that we produce in countless thousands by the day.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I don't understand why the death penalty is so popular, I don't see how it accomplishes anything. As you say it can take decades to put into affects, the costs of keeping a prisoner alive for that time plus legal costs to the government cost far far far more than keeping him alive for life. And it doesn't seem to deter any of the crimes that can bring the death penalty.

    Moral arguments aside, what are the practical reasons for the death penalty?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The ultimate punishment for committing the most heinous of crimes.
    That's a moral argument. Do you not know the difference between morality and practicality?

    Personally I agree with the moral argument for the death penalty, but its just not a pragmatic punishment in that it accomplishes nothing regarding deterrence of crime or cost effectiveness. It only satisfies the moral demands of some people and some victims, but not all by a long shot.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If it didn't take 10-20 years to execute many of those criminals we could be number one or two. I am sure scumbag sympathizers will see being one of the top 5 as a bad thing.
    It is terrible to sympathize with those mistakenly executed. Those bastards.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Or perhaps it culls the herd and creates needed prison space for that endless stream of n'er do wells that we produce in countless thousands by the day.
    Perhaps we needlessly imprison too many people.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #16
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    The great irony is that so many "pro-life" conservatives are also pro-death ... penalty. At least the Catholic Church is consistent in that regard.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #17
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The great irony is that so many "pro-life" conservatives are also pro-death ... penalty. At least the Catholic Church is consistent in that regard.
    There's no irony at all. Innocent life doesn't deserve death. Convicted criminals who have earned death - deserve death. The difference is the life in the womb hasn't done anything wrong except exist. If you can't figure that out without resorting to "irony" talking points, I can't help you.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #18
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    There's no irony at all. Innocent life doesn't deserve death. Convicted criminals who have earned death - deserve death. The difference is the life in the womb hasn't done anything wrong except exist. If you can't figure that out without resorting to "irony" talking points, I can't help you.
    Unless the innocent life is wrongly convicted.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #19
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Unless the innocent life is wrongly convicted.
    The unborn cannot be wrongly convicted, and convicted by whom?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #20
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Report: US Ranks 5th in Global Executions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The unborn cannot be wrongly convicted, and convicted by whom?
    But others can be. It is a real problem with the death penalty. There are other problem, but those who favor it seem to be able to accept innocent life being lost.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •