Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 268

Thread: Trayvon Martin school suspension linked to pot(edited)

  1. #171
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I haven't seen you condone it, nor have I seen you go against it. And no, I'm not. My response was for the Zimmerman apologists who, for whatever reason, have been attacking a dead kid's past because they don't want to admit that Zimmerman did something wrong here and should face the consequences of his actions.
    What exactly in your mind *in legal terms* is
    Zimmerman did something wrong here
    Please elaborate

  2. #172
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    its a FACT that Zimmerman followed Martin.

    this fact alone, gives Martin the right to Stand His Ground.

    however, we do not know if Martin approached Zimmerman. That is only an unsubstantiated claim.

    based on this, the only person who clearly has SYG on his side, is Martin.

    why? because we KNOW for a FACT, that Zimmerman was following him in his car & on foot.

    We do not yet know, but it appears that Zim had stopped following him after being told to by the dispatcher that it wasn't necessary. Basically, it is an unsbstaniated claim that Zim was following Martin at the time Martin allegedly approached.

  3. #173
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Trayvon Martin school suspension linked to pot(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Agreed. But what are they learned from? I disagree with you that political correctness is a process of unlearning those lies. These stereotypical responses are not lies. They are founded in hard, cold fact. Those who are "indoctrinated," as you say, are bigots. There's a difference between being vigilant against stereotypes and bigotry. Big.

    If I see three black young men advancing rapidly toward me at night...looking left and right and back as they approach...one with a teardrop tat on his face, one with his hand in his pocket and something sticking out from there...I'm going to be scared ****less. Mine would be a stereotypical response. And it just might keep me alive.
    THANK YOU for that.

    Being politically correct in real life does get people hurt, particularly women. Not wanting to be offensive or rude, women will hesitate to run, decide NOT proceed to her car in a parking lot but instead towards other people, NOT get ahead of the curve if a date is becoming increasingly pushy and forceful - and a whole list of other ways. Being politically or socially correct, or not wanting to seem afraid, can get a person robbed, assaulted, raped or killed.

    But there is ANOTHER stereotype I urge against. That a man has less rights to self defense than a woman does.

    I think if Zimmerman was a woman, attitudes would be different. TOO MANY people think if there is a MAN in the house, then no reason to lock the door or that there is no danger as long as a MAN is along. That men just fist fight and the good guy always wins like in the movies if there is an attack - and that assuming the attacker doesn't pull a knife or - as in the case of Martin (in my opinion) - when the assailant or other guy has "won" he doesn't just proceed to stomp on your neck, stick his fingers into the man's eyes permanently blinding him, stomping on his throat, choking him to death, kicking his ribs into his lungs etc, etc.

    MEN also have a right to defend against attack or a realistic sense that one is imminent and not have to rely on "I'm a man" thus being disarmed. My childhood and then adult past was very, very tough and it made me tough and a psychologists would say a phobic need to remain so, to never have reason to fear a man. If someone saw me charging down on the angrily and that my motive, they have a gun and shoot fast - because their are few men I couldn't do any amount of damage or injury I wanted to.

    What I would to see is people allowed guns in public, but ONLY IF they have gone through REAL training and testing. On law. On weapons. And correct responses. And a bit of psychological inquiry too. WITH THAT I'd like to see quasi citizen cops. Police usually only arrive after assaults, robberies, rapes and murder.

    But back to your point, if you're white and see some black guy (doesn't have to be 3) coming towards you and you sense danger for whatever reason, it is foolish to convince yourself that you can't reacte negatively and defensively for fear of seeming like a racist. Or via versa or whatever. Most people who are assaulted (not all) had a sense of danger before it happened - and disregarded it or under reacted to it. Don't. It only takes one time to ruin the rest of your life. There are 6 BILLION people on this planet. It absolutely doesn't matter what someone you don't even know thinks about you. Look out for yourself. Look out for others.
    Men, just because you're a guy doesn't mean you aren't in danger. And women, just because you're with your man doesn't mean you have a trained body guard with you.

    The quicker you put up your guard and reacte to a sense of danger, the higher likelihood that NO ONE is hurt. Then you never know what didn't happen.

    On the other hand, if you MUST pick, pick trying to prove you're innocent rather than you or your family trying to seek justice against whoever made you his victim. No guilty verdict, even no death penalty, not once, ever undid one iota of what the assailant did to the victim.

    Sorry for the soap box speechifying.
    Last edited by joko104; 03-27-12 at 01:11 PM.

  4. #174
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    You can't use pot as a reference point towards violent behavior. The two aren't related.
    Sure they're related. Bugulary tools, past history of drugs use both coincide with Zimmermans statements that Martin looked suspicious and may be on drugs. Lends to credibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    How does the possibility of Martin smoking pot relate to this situation?
    It's being suspended 3 times since Feb, having bugulary tools, pot pipe with bag & residue as well as allegedly, taking a swing at a bus driver. As I've already stated, that lends credibility to Zimmermans statements to the police. If Martin has no past history of drugs, suspensions or alleged violence; was an A student honor roll and never got in trouble in his life, that would tend to cast doubt on Zimmerman's statements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    I wonder if him sneaking a swig of beer when he was 15 also related to him being violent?
    Certainly it wouldn't... unless he was caught swigging beer at school as was suspended for it 3 times... you see?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    We do not yet know, but it appears that Zim had stopped following him after being told to by the dispatcher that it wasn't necessary.....
    no, it appears that Zim lost Martin. But he was still searching for him.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Sure they're related. Bugulary tools, past history of drugs use both coincide with Zimmermans statements that Martin looked suspicious and may be on drugs. Lends to credibility...
    and Zimmerman beating a cop, beating an ex-girlfriend, and having a restraining order placed upon him, lends to HIS credibility.

    along with calling Martin an "asshole" and a "****ing punk" on the 911 call.

  7. #177
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,169

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post


    P.S. I don't ever remember seeing a thread as active as this: 14 Members and 9 Guests. Maybe I just never noticed before....?
    When you think about it, it takes everything the extremists on both sides are afraid of and puts it in one nice box.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #178
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Trayvon Martin school suspension linked to pot(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    THANK YOU for that.

    Being politically correct in real life does get people hurt, particularly women. Not wanting to be offensive or rude, women will hesitate to run, decide NOT proceed to her car in a parking lot but instead towards other people, NOT get ahead of the curve if a date is becoming increasingly pushy and forceful - and a whole list of other ways. Being politically or socially correct, or not wanting to seem afraid, can get a person robbed, assaulted, raped or killed.

    But there is ANOTHER stereotype I urge against. That a man has less rights to self defense than a woman does.

    I think if Zimmerman was a woman, attitudes would be different. TOO MANY people think if there is a MAN in the house, then no reason to lock the door or that there is no danger as long as a MAN is along. That men just fist fight and the good guy always wins like in the movies if there is an attack - and that assuming the attacker doesn't pull a knife or - as in the case of Martin (in my opinion) - when the assailant or other guy has "won" he doesn't just proceed to stomp on your neck, stick his fingers into the man's eyes permanently blinding him, stomping on his throat, choking him to death, kicking his ribs into his lungs etc, etc.

    MEN also have a right to defend against attack or a realistic sense that one is imminent and not have to rely on "I'm a man" thus being disarmed. My childhood and then adult past was very, very tough and it made me tough and a psychologists would say a phobic need to remain so, to never have reason to fear a man. If someone saw me charging down on the angrily and that my motive, they have a gun and shoot fast - because their are few men I couldn't do any amount of damage or injury I wanted to.

    What I would to see is people allowed guns in public, but ONLY IF they have gone through REAL training and testing. On law. On weapons. And correct responses. And a bit of psychological inquiry too. WITH THAT I'd like to see quasi citizen cops. Police usually only arrive after assaults, robberies, rapes and murder.

    But back to your point, if you're white and see some black guy (doesn't have to be 3) coming towards you and you sense danger for whatever reason, it is foolish to convince yourself that you can't reacte negatively and defensively for fear of seeming like a racist. Or via versa or whatever. Most people who are assaulted (not all) had a sense of danger before it happened - and disregarded it or under reacted to it. Don't. It only takes one time to ruin the rest of your life. There are 6 BILLION people on this planet. It absolutely doesn't matter what someone you don't even know thinks about you. Look out for yourself. Look out for others.
    Men, just because you're a guy doesn't mean you aren't in danger. And women, just because you're with your man doesn't mean you have a trained body guard with you.

    The quicker you put up your guard and reacte to a sense of danger, the higher likelihood that NO ONE is hurt. Then you never know what didn't happen.

    On the other hand, if you MUST pick, pick trying to prove you're innocent rather than you or your family trying to seek justice against whoever made you his victim. No guilty verdict, even no death penalty, not once, ever undid one iota of what the assailant did to the victim.

    Sorry for the soap box speechifying.
    This is all excellent information. Here's an example: How many women, waiting for the elevator, would not enter the elevator if one of those stereotypical types were in it alone? That would be me. And it should be every woman on planet earth. Most women would be to "embarrassed" to simply say, "I'll wait for the next one," or "Oops, never mind." I know it's a silly subjective example, but it's one that could save anyone's life.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #179
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Give me a break and get over yourself. None of your bull**** changes the fact that this kid would still be alive if Zimmerman had listened to the 911 operator and left the kid alone. Zimmerman should face the consequences of his actions.
    I agree...he should. He was negligent. Acknowledging that fact might lead to some form of adequate justice. Spewing the "in cold blood" bull**** is likely to get someone killed.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Trayvon Martin - burglary tools and illegal drugs possession...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post



    Will you PULLLEEZE stop saying Zimmerman was seen standing on Trayvon. That is not true. You think it is? Where's the link?
    “I came out of my apartment and saw him still straddling Trayvon’s body,” Mary Cutcher told Dateline NBC of Zimmerman. “He had his hands pressed on his back… he never turned him over or tried to help him with CPR or anything.
    Note the position of Traybon's dead unarmed body?

    Maggie if a man is staddling you while you are face down and then the man stands up and puts his foot on you (weighing 230+) ... do you think he is standing on you? I do ... especially if he is almost twice my size and armed and has been following me.

    I am surprised there is no issue that George made no attempt to call an ambulance. If i freaked out shot an unarmed kid who was on my property (and that was not the case in this shooting) I would call an ambulance once he was down.

    She later reported when George stood up he kept his foot on Traybon and it is docutmented George NEVER called for medical aid.

    It is fact he began following Traybon and it is fact by George's own words that Traybon continued to run away.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •