Page 96 of 122 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 960 of 1219

Thread: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

  1. #951
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's true, but that is also what makes it work. You CAN opt out of driving. You CANNOT opt out of healthcare. Otherwise, the argument is the same, the logic the same. The need even greater with healthcare as no one can not be treated for healthcare.
    I disagree. The rational behind requiring drivers insurance is that if you cause harm to another person or their property (vehicle in most cases) you will be able to pay for the damages and make restitution. Mandating health insurance would be forcing someone to buy a product that the government deems is necessary for your personal well-being. The fact that driving is not a right also makes things different. A state issues a license based on a driver's proven abilities to properly operate a vehicle. The state government can remove you license to drive if you violate law. The ability to drive is not a Constitutionally defined right, a state can remove it. Being alive is a right under the constitution and I think as such the federal government (among other reasons) should not be able to mandate that all living individuals buy private health insurance or face a fine.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #952
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We have statistical evidence, which has been linked, showing uninsured people do engage these services, are treated, and can't pay for it. This is a fact.
    By definition, they are not engaging in commerce, they are engaging in theft.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  3. #953
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I disagree. The rational behind requiring drivers insurance is that if you cause harm to another person or their property (vehicle in most cases) you will be able to pay for the damages and make restitution. Mandating health insurance would be forcing someone to buy a product that the government deems is necessary for your personal well-being.
    That is not what the mandate is about. It is designed to prevent freeloaders from sponging off the system until they get sick and then purchasing insurance to cover their illness. In other words, it's there to protect those who are responsible and who buy their own insurance -- just like auto insurance. The reason that auto insurance is mandatory is that, if it wasn't, the cost of insurance would be too high. Exactly the same has health insurance mandate.
    Last edited by AdamT; 04-05-12 at 02:07 PM.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #954
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,564

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Actually, no.

    The mandate is designed to offset premiums/costs which would otherwise skyrocket when insurance companies are forced to take on all comers without a risk analysis. It has nothing to do with "freeloaders."

    That's why it's in the law. And that's what everyone says the tragedy will be if it's struck.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #955
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,564

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Actually you have a very good reason to believe it: I told you I didn't.
    And you say a lot of things which have little in common with truth.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #956
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Actually, no.

    The mandate is designed to offset premiums/costs which would otherwise skyrocket when insurance companies are forced to take on all comers without a risk analysis. It has nothing to do with "freeloaders."

    That's why it's in the law. And that's what everyone says the tragedy will be if it's struck.
    You show that you don't understand "adverse selection" and its application to insurance pools. It is not sick people that avoid purchasing health insurance, it is healthy ones that can get away without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #957
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I disagree. The rational behind requiring drivers insurance is that if you cause harm to another person or their property (vehicle in most cases) you will be able to pay for the damages and make restitution. Mandating health insurance would be forcing someone to buy a product that the government deems is necessary for your personal well-being. The fact that driving is not a right also makes things different. A state issues a license based on a driver's proven abilities to properly operate a vehicle. The state government can remove you license to drive if you violate law. The ability to drive is not a Constitutionally defined right, a state can remove it. Being alive is a right under the constitution and I think as such the federal government (among other reasons) should not be able to mandate that all living individuals buy private health insurance or face a fine.

    Yes, harm to others. You don't think passing on someone's costs is harm to others? It harms to have to have to pay $16 dollars for a bandaid just as surely as it costs me to pay for damage someone did to my car. And neither is a right (who brought rights into this? ). Both move the liability from one person to another without a mandate on what you need to have.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #958
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    By definition, they are not engaging in commerce, they are engaging in theft.
    The fact remains, the will be treated, a cost will need to be paid, and others will pay it one way or another.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #959
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Actually, no.

    The mandate is designed to offset premiums/costs which would otherwise skyrocket when insurance companies are forced to take on all comers without a risk analysis. It has nothing to do with "freeloaders."

    That's why it's in the law. And that's what everyone says the tragedy will be if it's struck.

    Several States already run high risk pools. And in the State of Texas the insurance companies have to cover the losses the high risk pool incurs.

  10. #960
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,564

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You show that you don't understand "adverse selection" and its application to insurance pools. It is not sick people that avoid purchasing health insurance, it is healthy ones that can get away without it.
    Hmmm. If they can "get away with it," then so much for the idea that they're "freeloaders" who are "already engaged."

    Not that this post doesn't reinforce what I said, anyway.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 96 of 122 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •