Page 89 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1219

Thread: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

  1. #881
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    You did not respond to my post. Perhaps you didn't read it.
    Umm...yes I did. By quoting the post in which I had already answered it. Here, I'll do it again....be sure to read it and you will get your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And just how in the world did you get that from my post?

    There hasn't been a time in human history where humans did not create some form of government. Even the caveman did it. So no, there has never been a time when we were without "big daddy government". I recognize this fact. But that doesn't mean that I think that the government, any government, is the "supreme landlord of the people". But if you think that having no government involved in healthcare or education is a good thing then you're just fooling yourself.

    If you look through history to a time when the prevailing government of <insert country here> purposely didn't attempt to educate the masses and purposely didn't help with healthcare and all that you will find is disease and ignorance. Yeah you may say that people can do it but the question is will they? And will they do it in such a way as to allow EVERYONE the chance at a good education and have good healthcare? The answer will be no. People that do not have the money to pay for a good education or good healthcare will go without. History supports that assertion. You say that charity will help those that can't do it on their own? Charity alone will not help everyone. If that were the case then no one in this country would go digging through dumpsters and trash cans just to try and find one bite to eat.

    I may not trust the government, but I sure am not going to throw it out with the bath water either. The government does provide needed services and I believe that education and healthcare is a couple of those services.
    There...I even bolded it for you.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #882
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Yeah. I started on the 900 page condensed version. I think to understand it I would have to mind map it over a period of many months. It is a monster. It is best to kill such a monster. It has a tyrant's fingerprints all over it. This sets the stage for totalitarianism in the US.
    More hyperbole?


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #883
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    More hyperbole?

    Sure why not? It IS an election year after all...
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #884
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,534

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Seriously, are you not able to read Scalia's quote and put together the words to form actual thoughts? If you could you would realize that he wasn't talking about a provision that affects all states. He was obviously under the impression that Nelson's vote was bought with a Nebraska-only provision. The fabric of reality is not sufficiently flexible to wrap around your contorted pretzel logic.
    Oh, like the "contorted pretzel logic" required to say that "I am confident the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically-elected congress” means "only as pertains to commerce clause case law."



    It's also high-larious that you insist Obama must have meant these things the way you say because of his status a constitutional law expert.

    Yet, according to you, Scalia, a 25-year Justice of the Supreme Court, must not be, and gets his information from Fox News talking points, based on one sentence and an interpretation YOU pull out of it because YOU did not know the kickback provision is still in the law.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #885
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I already answered that here in my post to Born Free....Basic answer though...History and current events.
    If you look through history to a time when the prevailing government of <insert country here> purposely didn't attempt to educate the masses and purposely didn't help with healthcare........

    And exactly what country are you talking about that doesn't educate the masses and help with healthcare?

  6. #886
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Oh, like the "contorted pretzel logic" required to say that "I am confident the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically-elected congress” means "only as pertains to commerce clause case law."



    It's also high-larious that you insist Obama must have meant these things the way you say because of his status a constitutional law expert.

    Yet, according to you, Scalia, a 25-year Justice of the Supreme Court, must not be, and gets his information from Fox News talking points, based on one sentence and an interpretation YOU pull out of it because YOU did not know the kickback provision is still in the law.
    Silly man, don't you know that repeating the same false assertions over and over doesn't make them more true?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #887
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,534

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Silly man, don't you know that repeating the same false assertions over and over doesn't make them more true?
    I guess you're out of arguments.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #888
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I guess you're out of arguments.
    Yep, once you've put one in the heart and one behind the ear, it really doesn't matter that you only had two bullets.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #889
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,534

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yep, once you've put one in the heart and one behind the ear, it really doesn't matter that you only had two bullets.
    My only question is whether or not you sincerely believe you did that. I have reasons to go either way on it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #890
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    My only question is whether or not you sincerely believe you did that. I have reasons to go either way on it.
    Of course I do -- it's plain as day. Scalia cited a "cornhusker kickback" which isn't in the final bill -- but which gets frequent airplay from ignorant conservative radio and TV personalities.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

Page 89 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •