Page 31 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 1219

Thread: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

  1. #301
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Even Sotomayor seems to be struggling with this (though I don't for a second think she'll vote to strike it down).

    Every one of those justices knows this will change the Constitution entirely, as well as the government's power over people. In effect, the Constitution will be ruled to be null and void.
    Yup, they do know it will change everything. IMHO, some of those judges want to change everything.

  2. #302
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Man kids die violently in their 20's (car accidents, shootings, etc). As we all know, those are the healthiest people and least likely to use medical care (more likely to have never seen a doctor). However, clearly, some people will be forced by government to engage in commerce that otherwise would not be. I have no idea of the numbers.

    Just out of curiosity, do you say the same thing about voter ID laws? The number that have no way of ever obtaining a free ID are statistically insignifcant so that they don't matter in what hte government does?
    You do know that an ambulance comes to get them often as well. No, they cannot opt out. You trying to side step the point. The risk is there for all and no one is immune to that risk, can say with certainty that they will never use health care. So, effectively, all are already engaged in the commerce.

    As for voter id, I have to produce one. We don't seem to have a problem. So I'm not sure I have anything for you on that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #303
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do know that an ambulance comes to get them often as well. No, they cannot opt out. You trying to side step the point. The risk is there for all and no one is immune to that risk, can say with certainty that they will never use health care. So, effectively, all are already engaged in the commerce.
    That's moronic. Stark, slobbering idiocy.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #304
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's moronic. Stark, slobbering idiocy.
    Thanks for your input, but I suspect that is because you are too invested in your ideology to consider it. No one can opt out.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #305
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's moronic. Stark, slobbering idiocy.
    Wow, what a pathetic rejoinder.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #306
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Thanks for your input, but I suspect that is because you are too invested in your ideology to consider it.
    No, I suspect this is projection, and one needs to be blood-poison-level invested in YOUR ideology in order to see it.

    You are not engaged in commerce unless you are engaged in commerce. To say otherwise is the aforementioned stark, slobbering idiocy.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #307
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Wow, what a pathetic rejoinder.
    It's all that was required of such a stupid thing to day.

    None of us can opt out of death, either. So, for the same practical purposes, we're all already dead. So why help anyone to live when they're already dead? Why bother with anything, for that matter? That's exactly the same "reasoning," to a T.

    If you disagree, put that on the list of things you need to explain why it's different.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #308
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's moronic. Stark, slobbering idiocy.
    We all know if someone is hurt in a car wreck and is unconscious they will be taken to a hospital ER. And once there the doctors will treat them.

    Would you like those laws changed as well? Should we check the injured at the accident site to make sure they're covered by health insurance or that their bank account is big enough to cover expenses before loading them into the ambulance?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #309
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, I suspect this is projection, and one needs to be blood-poison-level invested in YOUR ideology in order to see it.

    You are not engaged in commerce unless you are engaged in commerce. To say otherwise is the aforementioned stark, slobbering idiocy.
    Then show how people opt of health care. As uninsured people do in fact get hurt, get seriously ill, and end up being treated, which is commerce, and we do pay for them, which is commerce, and that they cannot know in advance who will be so unlucky, in effect (meaning what happens in the real world), it will happen often enough to say they are already engaged. We have to plan for them, have the available service, knowing they won't be able to pay for it. Understand the argument before you respond.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #310
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court health care arguments under way

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    We all know if someone is hurt in a car wreck and is unconscious they will be taken to a hospital ER. And once there the doctors will treat them.

    Would you like those laws changed as well? Should we check the injured at the accident site to make sure they're covered by health insurance or that their bank account is big enough to cover expenses before loading them into the ambulance?
    That is the only way to effectively have the ability to opt out. We have to have laws that allows treatment, emergent treatment to be refused.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 31 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •