Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 149

Thread: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Here are the rules if you guys are interested:

    OPTN: Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network

  2. #92
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    His problem was the heart not the other organs. Trust me people are fully vetted in the US heart transplant system. I know since I have taken part in it.
    Hog wash.. it is utterly corrupt. Else why would an alcoholic get a freaking liver transplant? oh yea he was rich.. Google Larry Hagman...

    Cheney should never have been on any transplant list period. He is 70+ years old. That heart would have been better in someone younger. This is a wasted heart pure and simple.

    And before you think it is because it is Cheney .. then no.. If it had been my own mother or father, then I would have said the same thing.

    Organs are a rare commodity and should go to those who are most in need and have a long life ahead of them.
    PeteEU

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Cheney's life is precious to him and everyone that loves him, He is entitled to every day of life he can get. When you start down this road of measuring who's life is more valuable based on age, health, contribution to society etc you start down a very slippery slope. How long until you decide who gets a transplant based on IQ or race or politics. This is where the death panel thing started, who decides who is worthy of health care and who isn't?

  4. #94
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the issue is not his age.

    the issue, is his general health, and how long this new heart will help him.

    I'd rather this heart go to someone that can extend life 10..or 15...or 35 years.

    if this heart could have instead gone to someone like that, rather than a guy who's life might be extended a mere 5 years, then I believe a mistake was made.
    It's a good thing you can do triage and make medical decisions for some one you have never met while sitting at your computer.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Hog wash.. it is utterly corrupt. Else why would an alcoholic get a freaking liver transplant? oh yea he was rich.. Google Larry Hagman...

    Cheney should never have been on any transplant list period. He is 70+ years old. That heart would have been better in someone younger. This is a wasted heart pure and simple.

    And before you think it is because it is Cheney .. then no.. If it had been my own mother or father, then I would have said the same thing.

    Organs are a rare commodity and should go to those who are most in need and have a long life ahead of them.
    I won't encroach upon Winston's debate. But I'll say thank God this isn't Europe. You can't execute the most wretched serial killers or murderers (in nations that outlaw the death penalty), but you are given a death sentence if you are past a certain age and in need of medical treatment
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #96
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Hog wash.. it is utterly corrupt. Else why would an alcoholic get a freaking liver transplant? oh yea he was rich.. Google Larry Hagman...

    Cheney should never have been on any transplant list period. He is 70+ years old. That heart would have been better in someone younger. This is a wasted heart pure and simple.

    And before you think it is because it is Cheney .. then no.. If it had been my own mother or father, then I would have said the same thing.

    Organs are a rare commodity and should go to those who are most in need and have a long life ahead of them.
    Larry Hagman went to China.

    And he was a guest at my cousins wedding. He got smashed

  7. #97
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Cheney's life is precious to him and everyone that loves him, He is entitled to every day of life he can get. When you start down this road of measuring who's life is more valuable based on age, health, contribution to society etc you start down a very slippery slope. How long until you decide who gets a transplant based on IQ or race or politics. This is where the death panel thing started, who decides who is worthy of health care and who isn't?
    I agree with most of what you've said here. But there are "death panels" in almost any system.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's a good thing you can do triage and make medical decisions for some one you have never met while sitting at your computer.
    um.....good thing that's not what I did.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I wouldn't trust that. In our country the only way CBS would know is if Cheney himself released his medical records and said he is only going to get about 5 years on it.....
    sorry, but I trust CBS. I see no reason for them to lie on such a matter.

  10. #100
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Dick Cheney receives heart transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    sorry, but I trust CBS. I see no reason for them to lie on such a matter.
    CBS commentators are not medical professionals. They don't have the authority to make that kind of statement. Patient health information is protected heavily. I would only trust Cheney's immediate care givers regarding that kind of a statement, and legally only Cheney could disclose that information to the press. Unless Cheney released all of his health information no one has enough information to make that kind of a statement.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •