Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 327

Thread: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Attorney General Pam Bondi have appointed a special prosecutor to investigate the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, removing the state attorney who had been considering the case.

    Scott and Bondi appointed State Attorney Angela B. Corey, whose office handles cases in Duval, Clay and Nassau counties.

    Also on Thursday, Scott created a task force headed by Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll to review Florida's 2005 "Stand Your Ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force if they think their lives or others' are in imminent danger or they face "great bodily harm."
    The grand jury investigation of this case is most likely going to be shut down, but before anybody screams coverup, they should know that the special prosecutor appointed by Governor Scott is one of the most hard nosed Conservative prosecutors in the entire nation. Angela Corey has been criticized by Liberals for her controversial stances of trying juveniles as adults, and seeking maximum punishment in the vast majority of the cases she has tried. She will undoubtedly not be accepting any excuses from Zimmerman here. Instead, if she determines that Zimmerman broke the law, he will be going to prison for a very long time.

    In the end, this is not about Liberal versus Conservative. It is about the whole nation coming together against an asshole weekend warrior policeman wannabe who took the law into his own hands, and murdered an innocent boy. Democrats are shocked. Republicans are shocked. The police chief has been forced to step down, and justice is going to be meted out in spades. At this point, let me bring home 2 important points of Florida's Stand Your Ground Law:

    1) Under the law, you can only meet a threat with equal force. If you go further, then Stand Your Ground does not apply.

    AND (And this is most important)

    2) The person you stand up to must have been the one to initiate action which made you feel threatened. If you are stalking someone, or otherwise following them them, then it is YOU who initiated the confrontation, and Stand Your Ground does not apply. When Zimmerman ignored the police dispatcher's order to stop following Trayvon Martin, he cut himself off from Stand Your Ground, and thus, under Florida's law, he went from defending himself against a threat to committing homicide.

    At this time, I am not ready to say that there is a racist element to this case, in that police did not thoroughly investigate the shooting. I will chalk it up to incompetence. As for the prosecutor that Governor Scott appointed, this shows me that, if indeed, Zimmerman is to be charged with a crime, the State of Florida intends to make an example out of him, as a warning to other militia weekend warrior wannabes. In a civilized society you do NOT stalk someone, armed with a gun, for ANY reason. That's what police are for - To investigate the possibility that a crime is about to be committed, and then act accordingly. Those who are not cops, but attempt to take those kinds of powers unto themselves, as vigilantes, deserve whatever they get when they go off the reservation, as Zimmerman did.

    If there is a silver lining in all of this, it is that a law that many Florida policemen and prosecutors opposed is going to be under scrutiny, and may soon be abolished. Unfortunately, there is no silver lining for the mother of a boy who was murdered while purchasing a soft drink and a box of candy.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-24-12 at 03:59 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    I expected you to follow the media propaganda hook line and sinker, but a new thread isn't needed to rehash why you are wrong.

  3. #3
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I expected you to follow the media propaganda hook line and sinker, but a new thread isn't needed to rehash why you are wrong.
    Perhaps would would like to explain why you disagree instead of vomiting up talking points that do not address the facts in the case.

    And yes this is a new thread because it is new news - It is news of the governor getting involved and the Governor's appointment of a hang 'em high prosecutor.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #4
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Perhaps would would like to explain why you disagree instead of vomiting up talking points that do not address the facts in the case.

    And yes this is a new thread because it is new news - It is news of the governor getting involved and the Governor's appointment of a hang 'em high prosecutor.
    perhaps you could participate in the very active thread in this very same forum that someone else started and stop with the name in lights crap.

  5. #5
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    perhaps you could participate in the very active thread in this very same forum that someone else started and stop with the name in lights crap.
    And what is your opinion where it comes to Zimmerman ignoring the police dispatcher's order to stop following Martin? Oh, that's right. You are not here to discuss. You are here to troll.

    Onto my ignore list you go.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #6
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And what is your opinion where it comes to Zimmerman ignoring the police dispatcher's order to stop following Martin? Oh, that's right. You are not here to discuss. You are here to troll.

    Onto my ignore list you go.
    join the active discussion on this topic. this one can be about your absolute glee over the politicization of this tragedy and your strange notion that the nation will unite over a gun rights dispute.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    From the article.
    Brevard-Seminole State Attorney Norm Wolfinger relinquished the investigation after a talk with Scott and Bondi, according to a statement from the governor's office. Wolfinger signed a letter requesting the special prosecutor, saying he was acting "with the intent of toning down the rhetoric and preserving the integrity of this investigation."
    ...
    "In the interest of the public safety of the citizens of Seminole County and to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest, I would respectfully request the executive assignment of another state attorney for the investigation and any prosecution arising from the circumstances surrounding the death of Trayvon B. Martin," Wolfinger wrote.
    Trayvon Martin special prosecutor: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case - Orlando Sentinel
    That is the reason a Special Prosecutor was assigned.



    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    a boy who was murdered while purchasing a soft drink and a box of candy.
    OMG! When did that happen?



    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The grand jury investigation of this case is most likely going to be shut down,
    It may, but I don't see it happening.


    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    She will undoubtedly not be accepting any excuses from Zimmerman here. Instead, if she determines that Zimmerman broke the law, he will be going to prison for a very long time.
    If she decides not to press charges.
    Do you think the outrage will go away, or become more impassioned and inflamed?



    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The police chief has been forced to step down,
    Actually, in a very noble gesture, he voluntarily "Stepped aside".
    The city commissioners also had a no confidence vote on him of 3 to 2.
    "No confidence" vote for police chief after handling of Trayvon Martin shooting - Crimesider - CBS News

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    When Zimmerman ignored the police dispatcher's order to stop following Trayvon Martin, he cut himself off from Stand Your Ground, and thus, under Florida's law, he went from defending himself against a threat to committing homicide.
    Someone hasn't been following the actual evidence in the case.
    Lee, the police chief, said in a statement that the police dispatcher's "suggestion" to Zimmerman that he did not need to follow Martin "is not a lawful order that Mr. Zimmermann would be required to follow."

    "Mr. Zimmerman's statement was that he had lost sight of Trayvon and was returning to his truck to meet the police officer when he says he was attacked by Trayvon," Lee said.
    'Stand Your Ground Law' at center of Fla. shooting - Yahoo! News
    A suggestion was made. That is all.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    join the active discussion on this topic. this one can be about your absolute glee over the politicization of this tragedy and your strange notion that the nation will unite over a gun rights dispute.
    I disagree. I think Dana said everything I've wanted to say but don't have the words to express it like he did. Zimmerman ignored the dispatcher's advice and killed this kid for NO REASON. None. I hope he gets what's coming to him. The same treatment he showed that boy. No mercy.

  9. #9
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    I disagree. I think Dana said everything I've wanted to say but don't have the words to express it like he did. Zimmerman ignored the dispatcher's advice and killed this kid for NO REASON. None. I hope he gets what's coming to him. The same treatment he showed that boy. No mercy.
    I have no problem with people taking either position. it is controversial.

    But we already have a breaking news thread to deal with that angle of the story. If he wanted this to be a different angle, why turn it around and reintroduce the the same controversial point in this thread? (name in lights)

    forums get too disorganized when we start arguing the same topic in two separate threads.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Trayvon Martin: Special prosecutor appointed in Trayvon Martin shooting case

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I have no problem with people taking either position. it is controversial.

    But we already have a breaking news thread to deal with that angle of the story. If he wanted this to be a different angle, why turn it around and reintroduce the the same controversial point in this thread? (name in lights)

    forums get too disorganized when we start arguing the same topic in two separate threads.
    Do you know how many threads I started not knowing another one was already in progress? Or how many times I started one because another aspect came up that needed it's own thread because the other one maybe got derailed? Or a new one was needed because so many posts were in the other one, new info gets lost?
    I didn't know the Chief of Police stepped down, nor that a special team was brought in on this case...until I saw this thread.

    So yes, I get what you're saying, but saying he needed his name in lights was not fair or very nice. Dana doesn't need a spotlight. He shines all on his own.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •