Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    A conservative legal group has asked the Wisconsin Judicial Commission to investigate whether 29 circuit court judges engaged in misconduct by allegedly signing recall petitions against Republican Gov. Scott Walker.

    The complaint by the Landmark Legal Foundation alleges the judges violated the state's Code of Judicial Conduct by "improperly engaging in partisan political activity."
    I have 2 things to say here:

    1) Exercising your right to vote, sign a petition, or otherwise engage in performing your duty as a citizen, is not engaging in partisanship political activity. If it were, then we need to throw every single Wisconsin judge in jail, since they typically run as Democrats and Republicans when campaigning.

    2) I disagree with the author of the article when he calls this group out of Virginia a "Conservative" group. Since they advocate using a big government solution to have those judges "investigated" because of their personal political lean, you can't call them Conservative. Communists, maybe, but definitely not Conservative.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have 2 things to say here:

    1) Exercising your right to vote, sign a petition, or otherwise engage in performing your duty as a citizen, is not engaging in partisanship political activity. If it were, then we need to throw every single Wisconsin judge in jail, since they typically run as Democrats and Republicans when campaigning.

    2) I disagree with the author of the article when he calls this group out of Virginia a "Conservative" group. Since they advocate using a big government solution to have those judges "investigated" because of their personal political lean, you can't call them Conservative. Communists, maybe, but definitely not Conservative.

    Article is here.
    The problem that is not mentioned in the article is that Walker claims he is not challenging anything to do with the petitions. In reality, out of state organizations are taking on those challenges for him. The political atmosphere here has been very volatile the last year and a half.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  3. #3
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have 2 things to say here:

    1) Exercising your right to vote, sign a petition, or otherwise engage in performing your duty as a citizen, is not engaging in partisanship political activity. If it were, then we need to throw every single Wisconsin judge in jail, since they typically run as Democrats and Republicans when campaigning.

    2) I disagree with the author of the article when he calls this group out of Virginia a "Conservative" group. Since they advocate using a big government solution to have those judges "investigated" because of their personal political lean, you can't call them Conservative. Communists, maybe, but definitely not Conservative.

    Article is here.
    Obviously it's just a pathetic case of sour grapes, given that they had tens of thousands more signatures than they needed.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #4
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Obviously it's just a pathetic case of sour grapes, given that they had tens of thousands more signatures than they needed.
    You should have seen the antics with people pretending they were going to sign a petition and then rip it up once they got it in their hands, or grab the clipboard and driveaway.... Apparently it is indeed a felony.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #5
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Sucks that this movement was corralled into an anti-Walker recall petition drive.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  6. #6
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Sucks that this movement was corralled into an anti-Walker recall petition drive.
    You mean the antics? or the petition drive itself being anti-walker?

    I saw last week that Pam Galloway (Wausau) resigned, she was on the recall list.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  7. #7
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    You mean the antics? or the petition drive itself being anti-walker?

    I saw last week that Pam Galloway (Wausau) resigned, she was on the recall list.
    Republicans have started a recall drive against Senator Schultz, a Republican, because he isn't going along with the Walker agenda. Walker and his bunch are bat poop insane.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #8
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Republicans have started a recall drive against Senator Schultz, a Republican, because he isn't going along with the Walker agenda. Walker and his bunch are bat poop insane.
    Total guano.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  9. #9
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have 2 things to say here:

    1) Exercising your right to vote, sign a petition, or otherwise engage in performing your duty as a citizen, is not engaging in partisanship political activity. If it were, then we need to throw every single Wisconsin judge in jail, since they typically run as Democrats and Republicans when campaigning.

    2) I disagree with the author of the article when he calls this group out of Virginia a "Conservative" group. Since they advocate using a big government solution to have those judges "investigated" because of their personal political lean, you can't call them Conservative. Communists, maybe, but definitely not Conservative.

    Article is here.
    Man then there is a lot of communists in the GOP Danarhea if asking for investigations for partisan political reasons is considered "communist"
    PeteEU

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Conservative group asks for investigation of judges who signed recall petitions

    I don't see a probalem with investigating the issue. I would assume that hte judges probably did not do anything wrong and nothing will come of it.

    Having said that, though, the judge that invalidated the voter ID law, should face scrutiny. He had an obligation to inform the parties that he had signed the recall form, especially when hearing a case where the individual he endorsed the recall of is a defendant on the case he is hearing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •