Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 418

Thread: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

  1. #81
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Obama already addressed that. I wish you would stop calling him things like intolerant. Next thing you know its homophobe...bigot...can you believe some people actually VOTED for someone like that?
    I actually with Hussein Obama on this one.......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #82
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Segregation isn't limited to objects and buildings. You're segregating a right. And what the hell is so important about not calling it marriage. If you're gonna give it the exact same entitlements and benefits, then just call it marriage. Enough with the appeal to tradition. It's getting old.

    And if were gonna play a card game, it's gonna be Texas Hold 'Em.
    no, we should call a ceremony performed in a church a marriage. ALL other unions are simply civil unions.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #83
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    no, we should call a ceremony performed in a church a marriage. ALL other unions are simply civil unions.
    No, that doesn't work either, because (guess what!?) nonreligious people DO exist and some of us just might want to get married, too.

    You know what we ought to get rid of instead? We ought to get rid of the stubborn, entitled, bronze-age, bigoted presumption that it's OK for some privileged folks to impose their religious beliefs upon the laws we are ALL subjected to just because they've been having their way for a while already.

    Not just no, but HELL no.

    People can CALL their families and relationships by whatever name they choose. But as soon as the state (the government) is involved, there must be a consistent and rational standard. If you're up to the challenge of convincing millions of already-married hetero couples to have their legal marriage certificates revised to be civil unions (and give up any and all rights associated with being legally recognized as married, not just united), then have at it.

    In the mean time, I'll go ahead and stick with the push (difficult, but still easier than changing the far more numerous hetero marriage statuses) to give full legal equality to gay and lesbian couples.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  4. #84
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I think you will find that the SCOTUS will defeat your cause by a 5-4 vote with Kennedy giving the deciding vote...
    First, I think you're wrong about Kennedy, but who knows?

    Second, even if the current SCOTUS defeats it, it will keep coming up until DOMA is repealed or taken down.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #85
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Same ol **** different day...........No comparison.
    Right back at you.

    You can deny all you want but the arguments are pretty much the same. So yes it is "same ol **** different day".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #86
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Obama already addressed that. I wish you would stop calling him things like intolerant. Next thing you know its homophobe...bigot...can you believe some people actually VOTED for someone like that?
    Calling who intolerant? Obama? Is he trying to keep same sex marriage illegal? If so, I'd call him intolerant as well.

    Also, are you assuming that I voted for him? You would be wrong.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #87
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    no, we should call a ceremony performed in a church a marriage. ALL other unions are simply civil unions.
    Why? I'm legally married but I was not married in church.

    And marriages existed long before the church got involved with them. No religion owns marriage, nor should they. In fact, religion as a whole should not own marriage because it has existed as a way to legally join families long before religions got involved with it.

    BTW, religions only got involved with it as another way to control people's lives. Make it a religious rite, requiring a religious official to oversee it and now people have to get the church's permission to marry despite not needing it before. It wasn't even til the 1500s that marriage was written into canon law.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    No, that doesn't work either, because (guess what!?) nonreligious people DO exist and some of us just might want to get married, too.
    I can see this argument though. Essentially you get rid of the Marriage License. You have in place a series of contracts which can be entered into which for all intents and purposes will get you "marriage rights", or whatever comes with the whole brouhaha. Marriage itself can then be left, once again, to religion. I would be fine with that. However, so long as the Marriage License exists as it exists current, a government recognized and issued contract, then I fail to see any logical reason as to the exclusion of same sex couples.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #89
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    First, I think you're wrong about Kennedy, but who knows?

    Second, even if the current SCOTUS defeats it, it will keep coming up until DOMA is repealed or taken down.
    I have a flash for you.....Justice Kennedy is a Conservative and usually votes that way


    Not in your life time.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #90
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Right back at you.

    You can deny all you want but the arguments are pretty much the same. So yes it is "same ol **** different day".
    Its a terrible insult to black americans to say that.......The trials and tribulation gays go through is nothing compared to slavery and is a lot brought on themselves sadly by a few militant gays and a whole bunch of Libs like you
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •