Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 418

Thread: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    What if the american people take a vote, and decide they want you dead?
    I believe that is already covered. It would require due process.

    Your argument is foolish because it is both outlandish and unimaginative.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    In this case it is not the government directly. The votes represent the will of the sovereign people. And the sovereign people voting for or against are the proper way to decide such issues.

    Above I see that gay marriage is inevitable. So get out there and convince additional people before the next vote.
    Pure democracy does not and should not exist in our Republic. It's toxic and exposes people to tyranny of the majority. Though in the case of NH, I believe this was all done through legislation anyway. Regardless, the majority does not simply get its way because they are the majority; they are not to infringe upon the rights and liberties of the minority.

    In the end, it always comes down to government force. Because you need that force to prevent people from exercising a choice. The force isn't always bad, it is sometimes justified. However, I do not see the justification in this case; not as long as the Marriage License exists as it currently does.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #213
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    They can do anything they want.......Just don't call it marriage.....that name is taken.
    You don't own that word. Stop pretending you do.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #214
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal


    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    you over reach. When the American people vote and decide who are you, or any judge to overturn their will?
    The courts, specifically the SCOTUS, was set up to overturn the will of the people goes against the Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Pure democracy does not and should not exist in our Republic. It's toxic and exposes people to tyranny of the majority. Though in the case of NH, I believe this was all done through legislation anyway. Regardless, the majority does not simply get its way because they are the majority; they are not to infringe upon the rights and liberties of the minority.

    In the end, it always comes down to government force. Because you need that force to prevent people from exercising a choice. The force isn't always bad, it is sometimes justified. However, I do not see the justification in this case; not as long as the Marriage License exists as it currently does.
    In your utopia who gets to decide if it is not the people through a vote?

    "Same-sex marriage has been defeated in all 31 states where it has been put to a popular vote, though it is far from a sure thing that the result would have been the same in New Hampshire."
    N.H. House Kills Repeal of Same-sex Marriage

    Where does the government get its authority to act?

  6. #216
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You don't own that word. Stop pretending you do.
    I'd demand a receipt, myself.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #217
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    In your utopia who gets to decide if it is not the people through a vote?

    "Same-sex marriage has been defeated in all 31 states where it has been put to a popular vote, though it is far from a sure thing that the result would have been the same in New Hampshire."
    N.H. House Kills Repeal of Same-sex Marriage

    Where does the government get its authority to act?
    Some day, you should have somebody explain to you the concept of tyranny of the majority.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post

    The courts, specifically the SCOTUS, was set up to overturn the will of the people goes against the Constitution.
    So you believe that the courts are the equivalent of earlier kings?

    The Supreme Court should not be on the side of the states who overturn the will of the voting people. That is tyranny. It will lead inevitably to revolution. I am sorry to see that you are on the side of the tyrant.
    Last edited by Misterveritis; 03-24-12 at 05:58 PM.

  9. #219
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I believe that is already covered. It would require due process.

    Your argument is foolish because it is both outlandish and unimaginative.
    Who do you think guarantees your right to due process?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: New Hampshire to vote on gay marriage repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Some day, you should have somebody explain to you the concept of tyranny of the majority.
    I am quite content with my understanding. Do you have an answer to the question I posed? Who gets to decide if not the people who voted?

    This issue of gay marriage has been put to a vote by the people in 31 states. In every case the people said no. If the government goes against the will of the people, expressed in 31 separate votes, who has the sovereign power to overturn their will? If you believe the government then where did the government get the power to overturn the will of its citizens? If they do overturn the will off the people how is that not tyranny?

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •