Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 97

Thread: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Hussein Obama
    You realize doing that kills any point you might want to make?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,559

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    this order does nothing to give a POTUS dictatorial powers in the event of an emergency, nor the power to "seize everything".

    basically, this is just another chicken-little paranoia Conspiracy Theory thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    why would the federal govt. nationalize everyone's personal property?

    sounds kinda paranoid to me, Goshin.
    The fact that something sounds horrific does not mean that it is not true, or should not be taken seriously. The path to tyranny is built with tiny steps, this one happens to be a big one. During each one of those steps, people like you mock the outraged with "conspiracy theorist" titles, while slowly your rights are eroded away along with them.

    You seem to think that tyranny could not happen here, and I know that it's an extreme example, but I'm sure the Germans used to think the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The fact that something sounds horrific does not mean that it is not true, or should not be taken seriously....

    .....You seem to think that tyranny could not happen here, and I know that it's an extreme example, but I'm sure the Germans used to think the same way.
    extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

    and your strawman arguments do your side no justice.

  4. #24
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Let's repeat that sentence with invasion or terrible accident in mind instead of some conspiratorial coup:
    The fact that something sounds horrific does not mean that it is not true (possible), or should not be taken seriously.
    In this case "not possible" instead of "not true".

    Any government should have at least some bare-bones structure in place to respond to a tragic event of national proportions. Not having one would be foolish because we know that bad things do happen. Let's say for sake of argument that a nuke went off in an American city - or we had a Fukushima event here. Do you really want the authorities arguing with some local farmer about using his tractor to build a berm? Or some factory making Pet Rocks arguing with (and later suing) the Fed because they cleared the road to a warehouse but left their business isolated? Without rules like this in place that's exactly what could happen. Yes, viewed by itself and out of context it looks extreme but responding to emergencies sometimes take extraordinary actions and there isn't always time to "go by the book" that we use for everyday life.


    In your leisure you can point out what has really changed from the same emergency response book that was written 40-50 years ago to respond to a nuclear war with Russia. My guess is you'll find few changes, if any, beyond which Department is responsible for what.


    Ed:
    The next time you hear those tornado warning sirens (1st Wed @ 11AM) stop and remember that originally meant "Oh ****! Some Crazy Commie just pushed The Button."

    (Yeah, I know they were around before then but I don't remember a time prior to the Cold War and I doubt anyone else does, either.)
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 03-20-12 at 01:02 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #25
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Oh my god, they have a plan! I think this executive order talk (not on this board, but elsewhere) is indeed noteworthy because it is the third example of a continuing trend, which is people being misinformed by social media "journalists." First the NDAA, then HR 347, now this executive order. Not just a few, but a lot of people, believe that these three things are "dots" that are to be "connected" -- meaning that the President is going to declare millions of Americans to be terrorists and indefinitely detain them, and if anything goes awry with this devious plan, martial law will be declared and our democracy will end. Have these people stopped to ask... WHY?!

    Obama is projected by most media sources to likely win in 2012! He doesn't have overwhelming disapproval and it makes absolutely no sense why our government would be gearing up to herd us all into FEMA camps because we had the nerve to tweet something negative about the executive branch.

    I never thought I'd see the day where I hoped people would watch cable news to be informed, but I think perhaps it has arrived.
    A working class hero is something to be

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    when the govt. doesn't have a plan and falls flat on its face, like during 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina, the country goes nuts and wants heads to roll.

    when the govt. decides to put together a plan to prepare for a serious emergency, conspiracy theorists go nuts and suggest that this is in preparation for martial law & dictatorship.

    I guess......you can't please everyone.

  7. #27
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness | The White House

    This is some scary stuff. If I read it correctly, the president will have the authority to size pretty much everything in the event of a national emergency and become a dictator.

    It really isn't as bad as people think. It's mainly just updates to the law (http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/1...rab-or-update/).
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  8. #28
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Oh my god, they have a plan! I think this executive order talk (not on this board, but elsewhere) is indeed noteworthy because it is the third example of a continuing trend, which is people being misinformed by social media "journalists." First the NDAA, then HR 347, now this executive order. Not just a few, but a lot of people, believe that these three things are "dots" that are to be "connected" -- meaning that the President is going to declare millions of Americans to be terrorists and indefinitely detain them, and if anything goes awry with this devious plan, martial law will be declared and our democracy will end. Have these people stopped to ask... WHY?!

    Obama is projected by most media sources to likely win in 2012! He doesn't have overwhelming disapproval and it makes absolutely no sense why our government would be gearing up to herd us all into FEMA camps because we had the nerve to tweet something negative about the executive branch.

    I never thought I'd see the day where I hoped people would watch cable news to be informed, but I think perhaps it has arrived.
    Actually, the NDAA does allow for the indefinite detention of US citizens according to law professor Johnathan Turley (The NDAA's historic assault on American liberty | Jonathan Turley | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk) (Indefinite Detention of Citizens: A Response To Senator Carl Levin JONATHAN TURLEY) and Glenn Greenwald (Three myths about the detention bill - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com)

    Also, HR 347 has some rather imprecise language (Imprecise Language and the Risks of H.R. 347 JONATHAN TURLEY)
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Actually, the NDAA does allow for the indefinite detention of US citizens according to law professor Johnathan Turley...
    which NDAA?

    there have been more than 50 of them, I believe. Its a yearly thing, ya know.

  10. #30
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    which NDAA?

    there have been more than 50 of them, I believe. Its a yearly thing, ya know.
    Which one do you think I'm talking about?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •