Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    The Obama administration said Thursday it would stop funding a Texas women's health-care program after the state excluded Planned Parenthood from participating, the latest skirmish in a national battle over reproductive-health coverage.
    Now before you start claiming that this is an "Obama agenda" to force Planned Parenthood onto the taxpayers, bear in mind that, during the Bush administration, Texas sought the same exemption for Planned Parenthood and was denied. Why? Because, under Federal law, states do NOT have the right to force their citizens to accept providers they do not want. Fact is that Planned Parenthood does an excellent job with cancer screenings, and because they are competent providers, people have the right to pick them as a provider, if they so choose.

    What is this meme about Republicans wanting smaller government that stays out of peoples' lives? It's just a lie. Republicans, as well as Democrats, want the Federal government intruding into the lives of citizens, and the crap going on in Texas is the smoking gun which proves that fact.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Sounds like a lot like this: FindLaw | Cases and Codes

    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Justice Rehnquist
    Our decisions have recognized that, in some circumstances, the financial inducement offered by Congress might be so coercive as to pass the point at which ‘pressure turns into compulsion.'
    Last edited by Samhain; 03-16-12 at 12:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Now before you start claiming that this is an "Obama agenda" to force Planned Parenthood onto the taxpayers, bear in mind that, during the Bush administration, Texas sought the same exemption for Planned Parenthood and was denied. Why? Because, under Federal law, states do NOT have the right to force their citizens to accept providers they do not want. Fact is that Planned Parenthood does an excellent job with cancer screenings, and because they are competent providers, people have the right to pick them as a provider, if they so choose.

    What is this meme about Republicans wanting smaller government that stays out of peoples' lives? It's just a lie. Republicans, as well as Democrats, want the Federal government intruding into the lives of citizens, and the crap going on in Texas is the smoking gun which proves that fact.

    Article is here.
    Yet another encroachment on states' rights. I don't know why people aren't enraged.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #4
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    ^

    It is truly ridiculous, and it's a byproduct of our nation going so far off the reservation in terms of the roles of different units / levels of government.

  5. #5
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yet another encroachment on states' rights. I don't know why people aren't enraged.
    no it's not. texas can do what it wants, and suffer the consequences.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #6
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    no it's not. texas can do what it wants, and suffer the consequences.
    Go read the link in post #2, and then come back. Same case law applies.

  7. #7
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Does PP operate as a not-for-profit?

  8. #8
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    Does PP operate as a not-for-profit?
    i'm not sure, why?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #9
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Go read the link in post #2, and then come back. Same case law applies.
    I'm confused. Is your argument that that case law supports the Obama administration's move?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #10
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas Medicaid Funds Cut Over Planned Parenthood

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Sounds like a lot like this: FindLaw | Cases and Codes
    We can readily conclude that the provision is designed to serve the general welfare, especially in light of the fact that "the concept of welfare or the opposite is shaped by Congress . . . ."
    The means it chose to address this dangerous situation were reasonably calculated to advance the general welfare.
    so, the feds were upheld in this case, and you are arguing otherwise?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •