Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

  1. #11
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Be that as it may it doesn't speak at all to the Gma's intentions.
    The grandmother might not have intended to kill the child, but the grandmother damned well intended to do great bodily harm to the child and the child died as a result. I'm a bit surprised that the charge isn't negligent homicide instead of capital murder. I don't see how they can possibly prove premeditation, although criminal negligance would be a given.

    The act was so heinous, however, I'm fine with it. I just don't want to see Grandma skate because the DA overcharged what the evidence can prove.

  2. #12
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    I see the charge as a response to the outrage they knew everyone would have over this crime. I understand the outrage but just don't think a capital murder charge is going to stick. Voluntary manslaughter or negligent homocide maybe.

  3. #13
    Student Maxientius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The United States of America
    Last Seen
    03-15-12 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    207

    Exclamation Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I am sure some of the some people from the 3 year old shooting thread are going to read this article.

    So for those of you who think that a persons conscience is enough of a punishment, should this grandmother be let off too? Since she probably feels bad about it?
    Those are completely different circumstances taken completely out of context. The Grandmother didn't leave the daughter's legs in the yard (with the safety off) on auto run until the girl died. The father made a mistake and paid dearly for it. The Grandmother was just stupid and abusive to her child.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The grandmother might not have intended to kill the child, but the grandmother damned well intended to do great bodily harm to the child and the child died as a result. I'm a bit surprised that the charge isn't negligent homicide instead of capital murder. I don't see how they can possibly prove premeditation, although criminal negligance would be a given.

    The act was so heinous, however, I'm fine with it. I just don't want to see Grandma skate because the DA overcharged what the evidence can prove.
    It's unlikely the Capital charge will stick. Still, the grandmother HAD to have known what would eventually happen by making the kid run continuously. So you never know.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    I do agree this woman deserve a heavy prison sentence for what she did but the death penalty? It might have been cruel but I doubt the grandmother would have done this punishment to kill her grandchild. She wanted to punish the child and went overboard, manslaughter maybe but murder and the deathpenalty? I disagree.

    20 or 15 years prison sentence would more than suffice IMHO.

    I also disagree with the deathpenalty as a punishment. Life in jail with no possibility for parole should be the toughest sentence allowed IMHO.

  5. #15
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    She forced her to run for over three hours without stopping. In fact, that only reason the girl stopped is because she collasped in convulsions. That would definitely cause harm to just about anybody, but especially a child with a bladder disorder.
    grandma has serious mental problems and should be put away for awhile. it's doubtful she cared about the girl, or she wouldn't have done what she did.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #16
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    It's too bad that we cant force grandma to run till she dies.

  7. #17
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The grandmother might not have intended to kill the child, but the grandmother damned well intended to do great bodily harm to the child and the child died as a result. I'm a bit surprised that the charge isn't negligent homicide instead of capital murder. I don't see how they can possibly prove premeditation, although criminal negligance would be a given.

    The act was so heinous, however, I'm fine with it. I just don't want to see Grandma skate because the DA overcharged what the evidence can prove.
    From what I've read, the bus driver for the girl's school bus overheard the grandma say something like, "I'm gonna run you 'til you can't run no more." That statement would suggest intent to drive the child to the point of collapse (physical or emotional??). I'm betting, if that's true (the statement being made, that is) that it has something to do with the selected charges.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #18
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    From what I've read, the bus driver for the girl's school bus overheard the grandma say something like, "I'm gonna run you 'til you can't run no more." That statement would suggest intent to drive the child to the point of collapse (physical or emotional??). I'm betting, if that's true (the statement being made, that is) that it has something to do with the selected charges.
    The standard is reckless indifference to human life. They should put the grandmother on a gigantic hamster wheel in her prison cell nand let her run her butt off that way.

    Reckless/extreme indifference to human life would qualify as well. The following statute is silent when it comes to the age of the victim.



    The Alabama Murder statute:

    " 13A-6-2. Murder.

    (a) A person commits the crime of murder if he or she does any of the following:

    (2) Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life, he or she recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to a person other than himself or herself, and thereby causes the death of another person."

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    On the other side of it, if more parents did this, Alabama wouldn't be #1 (or a very close #2 to Mississippi) in obesity, heart attacks, etc.

    I live in a land where people can go to fairs and get Snickers bars and Oreos deep fried for consumption. God, they even fry pickles down here. Pickles. Then dump them in fatty Ranch dressing.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Grandmother faces capital charge in death of Alabama third-grader

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    On the other side of it, if more parents did this, Alabama wouldn't be #1 (or a very close #2 to Mississippi) in obesity, heart attacks, etc.

    I live in a land where people can go to fairs and get Snickers bars and Oreos deep fried for consumption. God, they even fry pickles down here. Pickles. Then dump them in fatty Ranch dressing.
    Thats done everywhere. I tried the fried pickles once. It really wasnt too bad of a taste.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •