Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Milwuakee teachers unions - putting the recall efforts above what's beneficial to the students and the school:

    Gov. Scott Walker said Wednesday that unions were trying to sabotage his efforts at government reform because leaders of four unions urged the Milwaukee teachers union not to support possible legislation to allow financial concessions just before the June recall.
    Leaders of the Madison Teachers Inc. union were among those who wrote a letter dated Tuesday saying that the legislation would harm union members and the effort to recall Walker.
    "Allowing Governor Walker to make such a claim just before the recall election will prove detrimental to recalling him and, therefore, will only enhance his ability to further harm all Wisconsin public employees," said the letter, signed by MTI executive director John Matthews and president Peggy Coyne, among others.
    Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Milwuakee teachers unions - putting the recall efforts above what's beneficial to the students and the school:

    Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms
    Honestly? They aren't trying to sabotage government reforms. They're trying to sabotage Walker.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Honestly? They aren't trying to sabotage government reforms. They're trying to sabotage Walker.


    Sabotaging the schools in their attempt to sabotage Walker.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Sabotaging the schools in their attempt to sabotage Walker.
    I'm unclear here, is sabotage the proper word? Would oppose be more accurate? If not, what acts specifically equal sabotage?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm unclear here, is sabotage the proper word? Would oppose be more accurate? If not, what acts specifically equal sabotage?
    The union heads are telling the local union to intentionally hurt the schools so they will have to layoff teachers in order to get back at Walker and make the recall efforts more likely to succeed. I view that as sabotaging the schools and reforms in order to hurt Walker. If you want to call that action something different and your only argument is semantics, so be it.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    It's propaganda. The most common form of propaganda with teachers' unions is to say that whatever action they do that isn't what the government wants is done to "hurt the students" or "hurt the schools". It's a good way to turn the gullible members of the public against such unions while not having to actually address whatever arguments the unions bring up in any intellectually substantial way.

  7. #7
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It's propaganda. The most common form of propaganda with teachers' unions is to say that whatever action they do that isn't what the government wants is done to "hurt the students" or "hurt the schools". It's a good way to turn the gullible members of the public against such unions while not having to actually address whatever arguments the unions bring up in any intellectually substantial way.
    You've gotta laugh, right? Republicans crying, "think of the CHILDREN!!" while Republican governors and legislators across the country and slashing school spending to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy and for corporations.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  8. #8
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    The union heads are telling the local union to intentionally hurt the schools so they will have to layoff teachers in order to get back at Walker and make the recall efforts more likely to succeed. I view that as sabotaging the schools and reforms in order to hurt Walker. If you want to call that action something different and your only argument is semantics, so be it.
    First, that's the kind of accusation that really needs hard proof. Second, hurt how?

    But, no, words have meaning. IF they are doing what you claim, sabotage would be the right the word. Otherwise, just opposing him would not be sabotage. But your link only makes mention of one actual letter:

    Leaders of the Madison Teachers Inc. union were among those who wrote a letter dated Tuesday saying that the legislation would harm union members and the effort to recall Walker.

    "Allowing Governor Walker to make such a claim just before the recall election will prove detrimental to recalling him and, therefore, will only enhance his ability to further harm all Wisconsin public employees," said the letter, signed by MTI executive director John Matthews and president Peggy Coyne, among others.

    Read more: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms


    Wouldn't it be prudent to expect Walker to present evidence, or is it enough that he make a claim?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It's propaganda. The most common form of propaganda with teachers' unions is to say that whatever action they do that isn't what the government wants is done to "hurt the students" or "hurt the schools". It's a good way to turn the gullible members of the public against such unions while not having to actually address whatever arguments the unions bring up in any intellectually substantial way.
    The union's argument is that they don't like what Walker did and feel they need to act out by not agreeing to contribute to their pensions or healthcare. Teachers will probably be fired, but at least they get to make their point and make the recall a bit more likely.

    The good news is that once the teacher's current contract expires, they will have to make the contributions and the teachers can be rehired. There is hardly any chance the legislation will be overturned before then - despite Falk's agreement with the unions.

  10. #10
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walker says unions trying to sabotage government reforms

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Honestly? They aren't trying to sabotage government reforms. They're trying to sabotage Walker.
    good for them. tit for tat.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •