Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 446

Thread: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

  1. #221
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    OK, time for the truth

    Massacres and rapes are a necessary reality in any war. Some of them occur for legitimate military reasons (i. e. the civilian in question is suspected of aiding the enemy in some way), and some of them occur simply because there's no one "policing" the war.

    It's totally naive to believe that the incident described here is an exception to the rule. In war, these massacres are far more commonplace than the times they're actually exposed to global media coverage. It's reasonable to expect that US troops massacre civilians and rape kids every day, just as the Taliban or other competing Afghan factions do, simply because that's what happens in war, regardless of the parties involved.

    The notion that this kind of thing is a rare occurrence is just more propoganda from uncle sam to appease the ignorant (childish) American public.

    That being said, if one is unwilling to accept these massacres as a cost of a war, i. e. if one doesn't believe that the importance of the mission of the war outweighs these kinds of brutalities (rapes, massacres, tortures, corpse urinations), then the war should not be started, period.

    Since the war in Afghanistan has no meaningful mission at all (except possibly to create a government that will allow American firms to mine and exploit Afghanistan's natural resources and labor), its benefits clearly do not out weight its brutal costs. Therefore, the war should be terminated.

    Unfortunately, since the US is not a democracy, the American people have no say in that.

  2. #222
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Nothing short of a death penalty is justified for this savagery.

    U.S. News - Soldier accused in Afghan massacre could get death penalty

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Nothing short of a death penalty is justified for this savagery.

    U.S. News - Soldier accused in Afghan massacre could get death penalty
    And the caution not to put all American soldiers in the same bag...


    Still, Lilyea cautioned that people should not rush to blame the killings on the soldier’s deployments during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    "I’d wait to see if he really was in a position that would have affected him in this way," Lilyea said. "But I’m more concerned people will try to use this like they did after Vietnam with the My Lai massacre and taint all combat veterans of this generation as if they were like this one guy." Millions of Americans have served in combat, seen and done "terrible things," but have gone on to normal productive lives after their service, Lilyea pointed out.

  4. #224
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Nothing short of a death penalty is justified for this savagery.

    U.S. News - Soldier accused in Afghan massacre could get death penalty
    Anyone caught speeding in the Indy 500 should also get the death penalty.

  5. #225
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    And the caution not to put all American soldiers in the same bag...
    The DoD will likely start doing that to save money.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    BREAKING NEWS-----


    U.S. soldier in Afghan massacre had brain injury: official



    U.S. soldier in Afghan massacre had brain injury: official - Yahoo! News Canada
    Last edited by Mya; 03-12-12 at 08:30 PM.

  7. #227
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    BREAKING NEWS-----


    U.S. soldier in Afghan massacre had brain injury: official
    But was still on active service. Forgive a little scepticism.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #228
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I booo that comment.
    Truth is sometimes painful...

  9. #229
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Seems like a pretty tricky situation. I wonder if a visit by Hillary with the families of the victims wouldn't help smooth things over.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #230
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Official: U.S. soldier opened fire on Afghan civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    OK, time for the truth

    Massacres and rapes are a necessary reality in any war. Some of them occur for legitimate military reasons (i. e. the civilian in question is suspected of aiding the enemy in some way), and some of them occur simply because there's no one "policing" the war.

    It's totally naive to believe that the incident described here is an exception to the rule. In war, these massacres are far more commonplace than the times they're actually exposed to global media coverage. It's reasonable to expect that US troops massacre civilians and rape kids every day, just as the Taliban or other competing Afghan factions do, simply because that's what happens in war, regardless of the parties involved.

    The notion that this kind of thing is a rare occurrence is just more propoganda from uncle sam to appease the ignorant (childish) American public.

    That being said, if one is unwilling to accept these massacres as a cost of a war, i. e. if one doesn't believe that the importance of the mission of the war outweighs these kinds of brutalities (rapes, massacres, tortures, corpse urinations), then the war should not be started, period.

    Since the war in Afghanistan has no meaningful mission at all (except possibly to create a government that will allow American firms to mine and exploit Afghanistan's natural resources and labor), its benefits clearly do not out weight its brutal costs. Therefore, the war should be terminated.

    Unfortunately, since the US is not a democracy, the American people have no say in that.

    If we had elected McCain instead of Obama, we would still have troops stationed in Iraq as well as Afghanistan, and probably in Iran as well.

    The American public just needs to apply more pressure to the president to end the war.

    The GOP candidates missed a big opportunity to denounce the President for extending the Afghanistan war this long.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •