Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 852

Thread: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to Flee

  1. #811
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yes, I understand the distinction you are trying very hard to set forth, however, what I see you doing in essence here is to say that these schools that parents (mine being one when I was young) send their children to these schools not only for the superior education, but for the link to the church as well. When you wall off the religion course from the rest of the school and say that outside that class they are to be no different than that of the PS in the same area, you are battling to take away the religious aspect of the education as a whole.

    What I am saying, maybe not very well, is that why as a say, Catholic parent spend the tuition money to send my children to a Catholic school if it were only for the religion class? I could achieve the same thing by sending them to the secular school, and having them take extra classes at the church. And THAT is what I think is behind this, trying to marginalize the religious schools to bolster the public system, and ultimately destroy the competition.


    j-mac
    My kids for a time go to a catholic school. The English teacher wasn't Catholic. Neither was the science teacher. The priests and nuns did the religion classes for the most part. And it was a school. Not a church. And many of the students were not Catholic. Sure, there were Catholic students, but many were not.

    I can't stop any church from going into the business world, nor do I want to. That said, let's not pretend that a church making money makes them different than everyone else making money.

    And while conspiracy theories make good drama, largely they are nonsense in the real world. Bush wasn't behind 9/11. Obama isn't a secret Muslim communist facist socialist born in Kenya. A there is no war against the church.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #812
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    My kids for a time go to a catholic school.
    Why did they stop?

    The English teacher wasn't Catholic. Neither was the science teacher.
    So what?

    The priests and nuns did the religion classes for the most part.
    Ok, but that doesn't preclude that Priests, Nun's, Deacon's, or Brothers can't teach other classes....My Math teacher for example in the 6th grade was a Nun, as was my English teacher at Holy Cross.

    And it was a school. Not a church.
    It is tied to the religion. Also, I remember at times like Lent, Christmas, Easter, and so forth, there are times when the entire school was assembled in the Gym for Mass.

    And many of the students were not Catholic. Sure, there were Catholic students, but many were not.
    I don't get where you come up with this stuff....
    according to a study done in 1992 enrollment in the Catholic school system was made up of 86% Catholic students, and 14% non Catholic students....Now granted that is up from say the 70s when the ratio was 97% to 3% but enrollment is also down in Catholic schools as well due to higher tuitions.

    So I think I have to call Bull on your statement here.

    I can't stop any church from going into the business world, nor do I want to. That said, let's not pretend that a church making money makes them different than everyone else making money.
    Where do you think the money made from tuitions, and paid Hospital bills goes?

    And while conspiracy theories make good drama, largely they are nonsense in the real world.
    I thought I was careful to say that I don't know for a fact, but in case I didn't, I'll say it now....My opinion is that secular teacher unions, and school systems filled with career bureaucrats would love nothing better than to see the private religious school system disappear, and I don't put it past them to actively work toward that end.

    Bush wasn't behind 9/11.
    Who's talking about that?

    Obama isn't a secret Muslim
    Who said he was?

    communist
    Well?....possibly

    facist
    Tell that to the shareholders of GM and Chrysler stock that got screwed...

    socialist
    That is closer than outright communist for now.

    born in Kenya.
    Don't throw that Bull **** at me pal, I have NEVER said that he was, nor have I espoused that view.

    A there is no war against the church.
    Really? Think so do ya?

    JPMorgan Chase is shutting down the Vatican’s bank account with its Milan branch due to a “lack of transparency,” according to Reuters.

    JPMorgan Chase Closes Vatican Bank Account | Video | TheBlaze.com
    Some would beg to differ.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #813
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. Churches do. Those based solely on preaching, and ministers do, those who preach that message. This issue was one tasked with preaching the message going against that message to send another message, a completely different issue.
    I certainly realize in your world it is. However, the USSC has found that a school has first ammendment rights when it comes to their ministrial teachers/employees.

    Forcing the school to go against the school's religious beliefs (at least in relation to those minisitrial employees) is a violation of those rights.

    Obama did not offer an exemption for ministral employees at religious institutions. How do you think that's going to go given the ruling the USSC provided.

    Anyway, I think the point has been made. Feel free to justify owever you like.
    Last edited by buck; 03-20-12 at 07:06 PM.

  4. #814
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,043

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to


    Wow. Now he want's those advertisers to line up and pucker up to kiss his ass like a GOP member to get the privilege to spend money on his show?

    Too funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #815
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I certainly realize in your world it is. However, the USSC has found that a school has first ammendment rights when it comes to their ministrial teachers/employees.

    Forcing the school to go against the school's religious beliefs (at least in relation to those minisitrial employees) is a violation of those rights.

    Obama did not offer an exemption for ministral employees at religious institutions. How do you think that's going to go given the ruling the USSC provided.

    Anyway, I think the point has been made. Feel free to justify owever you like.
    No, that was not their ruling.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #816
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Wow. Now he want's those advertisers to line up and pucker up to kiss his ass like a GOP member to get the privilege to spend money on his show?

    Too funny.

    His show reaches Millions of listeners...It isn't about kissing Limbaugh's anything, it is however about bang for the buck....

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #817
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why did they stop?
    Moved and the public school was better where we moved to.

    So what?
    Not ministerial, and thus not exempt.


    Ok, but that doesn't preclude that Priests, Nun's, Deacon's, or Brothers can't teach other classes....My Math teacher for example in the 6th grade was a Nun, as was my English teacher at Holy Cross.
    Sure. And if they are ministerial, they would be exempt. Most are not.



    It is tied to the religion. Also, I remember at times like Lent, Christmas, Easter, and so forth, there are times when the entire school was assembled in the Gym for Mass.
    Not so much. The religious aspect is quite small.



    I don't get where you come up with this stuff....
    according to a study done in 1992 enrollment in the Catholic school system was made up of 86% Catholic students, and 14% non Catholic students....Now granted that is up from say the 70s when the ratio was 97% to 3% but enrollment is also down in Catholic schools as well due to higher tuitions.
    Do you understand what I said. Don't confuse many with majority.


    Where do you think the money made from tuitions, and paid Hospital bills goes?
    Salaries and material and profit just as with any other business.



    I thought I was careful to say that I don't know for a fact, but in case I didn't, I'll say it now....My opinion is that secular teacher unions, and school systems filled with career bureaucrats would love nothing better than to see the private religious school system disappear, and I don't put it past them to actively work toward that end.
    Whether they would or not is irrelevant, and a distraction from the conversation.




    Don't throw that Bull **** at me pal, I have NEVER said that he was, nor have I espoused that view.
    You're skipping the point. Back up from the tree to see the forest.

    Really? Think so do ya?
    Know so.



    Some would beg to differ.


    j-mac
    And you think that proves your point? I'm sorry J, but no it doesn't. Some just want to cloud issues for you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #818
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Wow. Now he want's those advertisers to line up and pucker up to kiss his ass like a GOP member to get the privilege to spend money on his show?

    Too funny.
    Frankly, I find it highly likely that however funny you find it, he is perfectly capable of doing so - and having advertisers "kiss his ass" to be allowed on.


    I mean, after all, millions of people hear his show every day.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #819
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Moved and the public school was better where we moved to.
    Your choice ofcourse, however without knowing which schools you are speaking of we'd have to take your word for it, but I believe you to be able to make that decision.

    Not ministerial, and thus not exempt.
    Are the secular teachers forced to work there?

    Sure. And if they are ministerial, they would be exempt. Most are not.
    Again, these teachers are not forced to work at the religious school, or hospital. If they don't like the benefits that the employer offers then work somewhere else.

    Not so much. The religious aspect is quite small.
    Are you seriously trying to tell me what I did as a student in a Catholic school? You don't know what the hell you are talking about sir.

    Do you understand what I said. Don't confuse many with majority.
    Do you see between 3% and 14% as "many"? No wonder you use such vague language.

    Salaries and material and profit just as with any other business.
    And who get's that profit? What do they do with it?


    Whether they would or not is irrelevant, and a distraction from the conversation.
    It is very relevant, we must know who is attacking our religious institutions, and why.

    You're skipping the point. Back up from the tree to see the forest.
    I separated out your alpha-bit soup of stawmen for you...I see the forest whether you want to admit it or not.

    Know so.
    Seems that based on your comments here you know very little about it, rather working hard to build a narrative molded to your argument. That says much about you, but little of your supposed knowledge of anything.

    And you think that proves your point? I'm sorry J, but no it doesn't. Some just want to cloud issues for you.
    Proves it? no. But a war is a series of battle wins, this is just one battle in the war...See, your Alenski handbook of liberal tactics tells you to dismiss this as nothing, and say 'don't look there, look over here...' But you keep forgetting we are on to that BS.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #820
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Your choice ofcourse, however without knowing which schools you are speaking of we'd have to take your word for it, but I believe you to be able to make that decision.
    Thanks.


    Are the secular teachers forced to work there?
    Nope. But most those schools would fall without them. These things are each dependent on the other.


    Again, these teachers are not forced to work at the religious school, or hospital. If they don't like the benefits that the employer offers then work somewhere else.
    And again, that doesn't matter.

    Are you seriously trying to tell me what I did as a student in a Catholic school? You don't know what the hell you are talking about sir.
    Nope, I'm going beyond you and I personally. I became a Catholic later, and as a Student, managed to ignore it completely. It was a small part of the day.


    Do you see between 3% and 14% as "many"? No wonder you use such vague language.
    Yes, it's more than one or two, which be few, and seven or eight which would be several. There are a lot of students in across the country, and 3% would constitute many. 14% more.

    And who get's that profit? What do they do with it?
    The Church, which does quite well.

    Bankers' best guesses about the Vatican's wealth put it at $10 billion to $15 billion. Of this wealth, Italian stockholdings alone run to $1.6 billion, 15% of the value of listed shares on the Italian market. The Vatican has big investments in banking, insurance, chemicals, steel, construction, real estate. Dividends help pay for Vatican expenses and charities such as assisting 1,500,000 children and providing some measure of food and clothing to 7,000,000 needy Italians.

    Read more: Roman Catholics: The Vatican's Wealth - TIME




    It is very relevant, we must know who is attacking our religious institutions, and why.
    Do you know the meaning of the word paranoid?



    I separated out your alpha-bit soup of stawmen for you...I see the forest whether you want to admit it or not.
    No, you didn't. It would help if you knew what a strawman was. You apparently missed the point.

    Seems that based on your comments here you know very little about it, rather working hard to build a narrative molded to your argument. That says much about you, but little of your supposed knowledge of anything.
    Nope. That's just your dodge.


    Proves it? no. But a war is a series of battle wins, this is just one battle in the war...See, your Alenski handbook of liberal tactics tells you to dismiss this as nothing, and say 'don't look there, look over here...' But you keep forgetting we are on to that BS.

    j-mac
    And the paranoid sees it everywhere.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •