Page 65 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 852

Thread: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to Flee

  1. #641
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    BC pils are being mandated to be covered without co-pay.
    OK. Doesn't bother me at all, but OK. Point taken.

    First, Georgetown insurance is not compensation. These are students, not employees.

    Second, the compensation that is offered is determined by the employer. Wether the employee wants to accept the offer is up to the employee. In the case of religious organizations, they offered as compensation insurance that specifically excludes birth control as contraception. The insured and the religious organization are saving money on insurance premiums. The people that accepted the job, accepted the compensation that excluded birth control pills used as contraception.

    It's free birth control pill, in the sense of anything else in this country that is free. Prior to my wife having BC covered from her insurance, we were paying 50-60 (I can't recall which exactly) per month. Now, she gets it free through her insurance, since she is not paying at the point of picking up the pills. I know you realize this, but want to insist that since she's paying a small increased premium for the BC coverage, it's not really free. You are wrong. If we were to use your definition of free, we could get rid of the word, because nothing in this country is truly free.
    The law is largely aimed at employees. Students, who often need isnurance are covered. This si a good thing and not a bad thing. Schools have been covering for sometime a lot of health needs. I think them being allowed on their parents coverage likely limits this. I'd be happy to see any numbers on how many actual students we're speaking of.

    As for compensation, it doesn't matter. The compensation, whatever it is, is then the emplyees. Not the employers. Trying to tell the employee how to use is largely improper. I would be more with you if you wanted to move insurance away from the employer, allowing them to increase salary and not use insurance as part of the pay. But to say we'll give you insurance, but limit your use not due to any rationale but what we think is moral for you to use? No. No more than you can control the money I get as compensation should you be able to control what I use insurance for.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #642
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually, singling this out as free is incorrect. What one gets as compensation is the insurance. Often, there is a co-pay. It is rare that there is't. Regardless, whether they contribute to the insurance or not (different places have different contribution rules), the insurance is the compensation, and how that insurance is used is up to the individual emnployed. This is really simple. And it should not be seen as giving anything for free. This is compensation for employment, so the employee has given his or her daily labor for the compensation.
    BTW, if you really have a problem with it, take it up with the insurance companies who will have to legally modify their contract's language to indicate either "free" or "no charge", NPR, ABC, NYTIMES and even the Institute of Medicine committee's report that recommend that the mandate be made a law:

    Feds Order Insurers To Cover Birth Control Free Of Charge To Women : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
    Feds Order Insurers To Cover Birth Control Free Of Charge To Women
    Birth Control Free for All: New Insurance Rules Affect Millions of Women - ABC News
    Birth Control Free for All: New Insurance Rules Affect Millions of Women

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/he...pagewanted=all
    The Obama administration said Friday that most health insurance plans must cover contraceptives for women free of charge, and it rejected a broad exemption sought by the Roman Catholic Church for insurance provided to employees of Catholic hospitals, colleges and charities.
    Birth control should be fully covered under health plans, report says - CNN.com
    Contraceptives, sterilization and reproductive education should be covered by health insurance plans with no cost to patients under the health care reform law, a new report recommends.

  3. #643
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    BTW, if you really have a problem with it, take it up with the insurance companies who will have to legally modify their contract's language to indicate either "free" or "no charge", NPR, ABC, NYTIMES and even the Institute of Medicine committee's report that recommend that the mandate be made a law:

    Feds Order Insurers To Cover Birth Control Free Of Charge To Women : Shots - Health Blog : NPR


    Birth Control Free for All: New Insurance Rules Affect Millions of Women - ABC News



    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/he...pagewanted=all


    Birth control should be fully covered under health plans, report says - CNN.com
    For employees, again, there work is part of the paying for it as it is compensation.

    As for students, 1) good, as students need the protection and 2) as the new laws allow most to be on their parents insurance, how many are the schools now covering? I suspect, though can't say with certanty, less than before.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #644
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    For employees, again, there work is part of the paying for it as it is compensation.

    As for students, 1) good, as students need the protection and 2) as the new laws allow most to be on their parents insurance, how many are the schools now covering? I suspect, though can't say with certanty, less than before.
    Actually, their work was paying for insurance with a birth control for contraception exclusion. THe religious organizations are now being ordered to provide (and pay for) additional compensation that is both elective (when being used to prevent contraception) for the insured and against the religious organization's religion.

  5. #645
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Actually, their work was paying for insurance with a birth control for contraception exclusion. THe religious organizations are now being ordered to provide (and pay for) additional compensation that is both elective (when being used to prevent contraception) for the insured and against the religious organization's religion.
    No, churches move away from the church into business. As a business, they don't have religous exemption, and shouldn't. As I said earlier, there are amny reasons to use contraceptions and to pay for them. They include medical, individual, and societial. The objection to them seems misguided IMHO.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #646
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, churches move away from the church into business. As a business, they don't have religous exemption, and shouldn't.
    It may surprise you to learn, others, and apaprently a majority based on the poll that someone posted, disagree with you.

    As I said earlier, there are amny reasons to use contraceptions and to pay for them. They include medical, individual, and societial. The objection to them seems misguided IMHO.
    There are many reasons to pay for alot of elective surgeries and treatments. It doesn't mean that Obama has ordered or that insurance companies pay for them.
    Last edited by buck; 03-17-12 at 04:59 PM.

  7. #647
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    It may surprise you to learn, others, and apaprently a majority based on the poll that someone posted, disagree with you.
    I read that poll, and I'm not sure that is true. But even if it were, and I agree it was, they would be wrong.

    And majority cannot tell us right from wrong, but only if they will win a vote.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #648
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I read that poll, and I'm not sure that is true. But even if it were, and I agree it was, they would be wrong.

    And majority cannot tell us right from wrong, but only if they will win a vote.

    When it agrees with your opinion, you can tell others what is right and wrong. When it disagrees with your opinion, you think that others can't tell you what is right or wrong. Weird how that works, no?

  9. #649
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    When it agrees with your opinion, you can tell others what is right and wrong. When it disagrees with your opinion, you think that others can't tell you what is right or wrong. Weird how that works, no?
    Oh, I have never, ever said a poll like this tells us anything more than who win a vote. You must be mistaking me with someone else.

    No, the reasoning, the rationale is what we should look at. Teachers are for the most part not clergy. Schools teach more than religious theology. Hosptials employee more than clergy, a lot more. They are businesses. Not churches. There is a real and visable and clear difference.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #650
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: 'Rush Limbaugh Show' Broadcasts Five Minutes of Dead Air as Sponsors Continue to

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Oh, I have never, ever said a poll like this tells us anything more than who win a vote. You must be mistaking me with someone else.

    No, the reasoning, the rationale is what we should look at. Teachers are for the most part not clergy. Schools teach more than religious theology. Hosptials employee more than clergy, a lot more. They are businesses. Not churches. There is a real and visable and clear difference.
    I think you missed the point. I understand your reasoning and rational that led you to your specific opinion. Not everyone shares your opinion and obviously used different reasonaing and rational to reach their opinion. Your opinion is not any more correct then mine, no matter how much you want to pretend that it is.

Page 65 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •