Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 607

Thread: Explosive Growth of Militias

  1. #571
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    They are panderers of the worst sort. They want to keep their supporters fearful of "racist" or "anti semitic" movements in order to get the rich, often Jewish benefactors, to continue to give them money. They have to keep the "problem" alive in order to convince people that the SPLC continues to do something useful.

    Morris Dees is a pimp pure and simple. he has become addicted to the limelight and has become mastered by his own mythology. Anyone who opposes Obamacare or the Obama administration apparently has racist motivations according to that turd. Any pro gun group is seen as some sort of sinister "militia"


    here are some of the criticisms of Dees and the SPLC

    Intolerance Identified - Morris Dees and The Southern Poverty Law Center - article on the SPLC, Morris Dees and hate crime

    Oregon Firearms Federation
    So you're saying they're a lot like the NRA?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #572
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,617

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    So you're saying they're a lot like the NRA?


    Nope not at all. THe NRA was rated by a major librarian association as having among the most factually accurate information.

  3. #573
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Nope not at all. THe NRA was rated by a major librarian association as having among the most factually accurate information.
    Was that the Reagan library association?

    February 11, 2012

    A top NRA official has gone on the record with his belief that if Obama is elected for a second term he plans to effectively end the 2nd amendment with an all out ban on guns.

    NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre said that Obama’s 1st term low key approach on gun rights was a conspiracy to ensure reelection for a second term where he plans a full destruction of Americans 2nd amendment rights.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #574
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Nope not at all. THe NRA was rated by a major librarian association as having among the most factually accurate information.
    "major librarian association"... ??

    Okay, I'll bite, link please...

  5. #575
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    that's you talking, not I.

    personally, I think we have a lot more to fear from right-wing militias & left-wing revolutionary groups, than from the government
    You say "a lot more". That implies we have "some" to fear from our government.

    We should not fear our government at all.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  6. #576
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    You say "a lot more". That implies we have "some" to fear from our government.

    We should not fear our government at all.
    I agree that we "should" not. However given the amount of corruption in our government how can you not?

  7. #577
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I agree that we "should" not. However given the amount of corruption in our government how can you not?
    That has been my point to Thunder. We should not have anything to fear from our government but we do. That justifies some of what people refer to as "paranoia". Sure, some of the militia folks are nutty, but I would certainly not assume they are a direct danger to me as they have not given me reason to fear them. On the other hand, the government has given me reason to fear them.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  8. #578
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    That has been my point to Thunder. We should not have anything to fear from our government but we do. That justifies some of what people refer to as "paranoia". Sure, some of the militia folks are nutty, but I would certainly not assume they are a direct danger to me as they have not given me reason to fear them. On the other hand, the government has given me reason to fear them.
    Do you really fear the government? You hear the black helicopters coming?
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #579
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Since we are on the topic, what ever happened to the guy who took a sniper rifle and shot the white house?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #580
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Do you really fear the government? You hear the black helicopters coming?
    You must really like making me re-post this stuff....

    As I have stated in several threads on guns, militias etc...

    Everyone thought Randy Weaver was paranoid, but they came for him.

    Frank Clearwater and Buddy Lamont

    Fred Hampton and Mark Clark

    Kent State

    Molly Maguires

    Whiskey Rebellion

    MOVE

    Are these enough examples? The people affected in these incidents were considered "radical" or "unruly" -- like the students who were recently sprayed at (what was it... UC Davis?). They were sitting down, not moving! In addition to the obvious cases listed above there are abuses of authority that happen everyday in this country. They may not be outrageous, but people's rights are still infringed. For "radicals" that infringement is often tolerated because they are deemed "troublemakers" by the general public.

    By some standards I am radical. By most standards I am a troublemaker because I try to speak up when I see injustice (now I am making myself sound like a superhero, but you know what I mean).

    Because I make waves and because I do not sit idly by I am a target. Not a lot of people will say "stop" much less intervene when they see an authority figure --- we'll say local police --- threatening or hitting a person who is lying on the ground. Or confronting and antagonizing a group of young men because they are standing on a corner.

    Because I am willing to do that and even go farther I am a target as well, no I do not hear the black helicopters coming, but I sure as hell know that if "You step out of line, the man come and take you away". Thank you Stephen Stills.
    Last edited by taxigirl; 03-12-12 at 09:08 PM.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •