Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 607

Thread: Explosive Growth of Militias

  1. #271
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    /facepalm /facepalm


    I think i'll have a double. : :
    Keep it there; that should prevent any more silliness from emanating.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    so, if a bunch of skinhead racists get together, arm themselves, and vow to fight for the freedom of white Americans, they too..are a subset of The Militia?

    huh.....

  3. #273
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so, if a bunch of skinhead racists get together, arm themselves, and vow to fight for the freedom of white Americans, they too..are a subset of The Militia?

    huh.....
    That's right, because Bubba and Timmy running around the woods in their little soldier outfits are JUST like Thomas Jefferson and James Madison!
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    That's right, because Bubba and Timmy running around the woods in their little soldier outfits are JUST like Thomas Jefferson and James Madison!
    hey, that's your claim....not mine.

  5. #275
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so, if a bunch of skinhead racists get together, arm themselves, and vow to fight for the freedom of white Americans, they too..are a subset of The Militia?

    huh.....
    in the SCOTUS opinion they should be organized. Skinhead racists are allowed to associate just as much as anyone else. Just because we don't approve of their agenda does not mean we should take their rights away. Only people who agree with you should be allowed free speech, the right to bear arms, religious freedoms, the right to vote and the right to associate / assemble? What if you are wrong, what if you can be persuaded? For example: the abortion issue. It seems to be coming to a point where someone is going to have to make a nasty decision and pretty much half the people are going to be upset. I see very good points being made on both sides of the argument and I see people being persuaded into changing parts of their beliefs. Now, I 'm not saying racists are right, but in order for us to be able to claim that we are right, we have to allow everyone to be right.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    in the SCOTUS opinion they should be organized. Skinhead racists are allowed to associate just as much as anyone else. Just because we don't approve of their agenda does not mean we should take their rights away. Only people who agree with you should be allowed free speech, the right to bear arms, religious freedoms, the right to vote and the right to associate / assemble? What if you are wrong, what if you can be persuaded? For example: the abortion issue. It seems to be coming to a point where someone is going to have to make a nasty decision and pretty much half the people are going to be upset. I see very good points being made on both sides of the argument and I see people being persuaded into changing parts of their beliefs. Now, I 'm not saying racists are right, but in order for us to be able to claim that we are right, we have to allow everyone to be right.

    That's all well and good but 'Incitement to crime' is not protected speech. And when you get a room full people who think the country would be better off without foreigners or blacks, and someone says: "Well, what are we going to do about it?"

    The Government needs to keep tabs on groups that stockpile weapons or run websites where speech is troubling and suggesting further action be taken.

    Also, 18 U.S.C. ß 842(p) makes it an offence "to teach or demonstrate the making or use of an explosive, a destructive device, or a weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute by any means information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of an explosive, destructive device, or weapon of mass destruction" either intending or knowing that the learner/viewer intends "that the teaching, demonstration, or information be used for, or in furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a Federal crime of violence."

    This is a big country with a lot of problems, but we have not arrived at a time or place where we need to fear our Government. (they're too slow and often not all that bright)...

    Information and opinion sharing, levels transparency and responsible news media keep things in check, IMO. But we need to keep tabs on the more deranged and disenfranchised elements. And thanks to idiots like Glen Beck, those groups have grown. So hire more FBI and ATF agents and when laws are broken make arrests and prosecute. That's all this is.
    Last edited by hazlnut; 03-09-12 at 06:53 PM.

  7. #277
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,757

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Interesting. So we really shouldn't be pursuing suspected terrorists at all. We should just wait for them to blow something up and then react to the devastation?
    You sure read what other people write rather strangely

  8. #278
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,757

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    That's all well and good but 'Incitement to crime' is not protected speech. And when you get a room full people who think the country would be better off without foreigners or blacks, and someone says: "Well, what are we going to do about it?"

    The Government needs to keep tabs on groups that stockpile weapons or run websites where speech is troubling and suggesting further action be taken.

    Also, 18 U.S.C. ß 842(p) makes it an offence "to teach or demonstrate the making or use of an explosive, a destructive device, or a weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute by any means information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of an explosive, destructive device, or weapon of mass destruction" either intending or knowing that the learner/viewer intends "that the teaching, demonstration, or information be used for, or in furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a Federal crime of violence."

    This is a big country with a lot of problems, but we have not arrived at a time or place where we need to fear our Government. (they're too slow and often not all that bright)...

    Information and opinion sharing, levels transparency and responsible news media keep things in check, IMO. But we need to keep tabs on the more deranged and disenfranchised elements. And thanks to idiots like Glen Beck, those groups have grown. So hire more FBI and ATF agents and when laws are broken make arrests and prosecute. That's all this is.

    So I guess you were a big fan of the patriot act then

  9. #279
    Banned SLAMRAAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    03-10-12 @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    318

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    U.S. News - Election, economy spark explosive growth of militias



    Thoughts on this? I hope they get whacked by artillery.
    Guess they're trying to compete with OWS.

  10. #280
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: Explosive Growth of Militias

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    That's all well and good but 'Incitement to crime' is not protected speech. And when you get a room full people who think the country would be better off without foreigners or blacks, and someone says: "Well, what are we going to do about it?"

    The Government needs to keep tabs on groups that stockpile weapons or run websites where speech is troubling and suggesting further action be taken.

    Also, 18 U.S.C. ß 842(p) makes it an offence "to teach or demonstrate the making or use of an explosive, a destructive device, or a weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute by any means information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of an explosive, destructive device, or weapon of mass destruction" either intending or knowing that the learner/viewer intends "that the teaching, demonstration, or information be used for, or in furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a Federal crime of violence."

    This is a big country with a lot of problems, but we have not arrived at a time or place where we need to fear our Government. (they're too slow and often not all that bright)...

    Information and opinion sharing, levels transparency and responsible news media keep things in check, IMO. But we need to keep tabs on the more deranged and disenfranchised elements. And thanks to idiots like Glen Beck, those groups have grown. So hire more FBI and ATF agents and when laws are broken make arrests and prosecute. That's all this is.
    You are correct. The reason we do not hear about many of these groups anymore is because the FBI and ATF have become pretty efficient in getting to them before something happens. The problem is are they also going after groups that are not attempting illegal activity (ex. Randy Weaver).

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •