Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 203

Thread: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

  1. #81
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The increase in gas prices involves supply and demand issues coming to a head at a planetary level.

    In April, 2010 the US Military warned that:

    "as early as 2015, the shortfall in output could reach nearly 10 million barrels per day," says the report, which has a foreword by a senior commander, General James N Mattis."

    US military warns oil output may dip causing massive shortages by 2015 | Business | The Guardian

    Here's a good summary of the situation.

    Where did they dig him up from the 1970's? LOLOLOL!

    Jimmy Carter delivered this televised speech on April 18, 1977.

    Because we are now running out of gas and oil, we must prepare quickly for a third change, to strict conservation and to the use of coal and permanent renewable energy sources, like solar power.

    World consumption of oil is still going up. If it were possible to keep it rising during the 1970s and 1980s by 5 percent a year as it has in the past, we could use up all the proven reserves of oil in the entire world by the end of the next decade.

    Proposed Energy Policy . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS
    Yep, could they have been more wrong? Here we are 40 years later and their predictions of oil running out is still just a fantasy. The video of your re-animated Carter like crony is just hilarious though and good for a great laugh.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  2. #82
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Where did they dig him up from the 1970's? LOLOLOL!

    Yep, could they have been more wrong? Here we are 40 years later and their predictions of oil running out is still just a fantasy. The video of your re-animated Carter like crony is just hilarious though and good for a great laugh.
    And have the gas prices gone down or up since Carter? Just because its taken longer to get there doesn't mean we have dodged the inevitable bullet. As Republican Senator noted recently, "Jimmy Carter was right!"

    If we had listened to Carter, we wouldn't be whining about high gas prices now or about to face prices 3 times this high within a couple more years.

    The US military uses more oil than any other single entity on the planet, so I take their warning much more seriously than an opinion from an anonymous internet guy. Sorry.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #83
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    And have the gas prices gone down or up since Carter? Just because its taken longer to get there doesn't mean we have dodged the inevitable bullet. As Republican Senator noted recently, "Jimmy Carter was right!"

    If we had listened to Carter, we wouldn't be whining about high gas prices now or about to face prices 3 times this high within a couple more years.

    The US military uses more oil than any other single entity on the planet, so I take their warning much more seriously than an opinion from an anonymous internet guy. Sorry.
    We did listen to Carter and got near 50% of our electricity from Coal, is that a good thing or bad?

    Point four: I'm asking Congress to mandate, to require as a matter of law, that our nation's utility companies cut their massive use of oil by 50 percent within the next decade and switch to other fuels, especially coal, our most abundant energy source.

    You know we can do it. We have the natural resources. We have more oil in our shale alone than several Saudi Arabias. We have more coal than any nation on Earth.

    Crisis of Confidence . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS
    In 2000, the existing capacity1 of U.S. electric utilities totaled 604,514 megawatts (Table 1), a net change of -34,810 megawatts (-5.4 percent) from the total reported in 1999. This was mainly due to the sale/transfer of 42,974 megawatts of capacity during 2000 to nonutilities. Based on primary energy source, coal-fired capacity represented 43 percent (260,990 megawatts) of the Nation's existing capacity (Figure 1). Gas-fired capacity accounted for 19 percent (117,845 megawatts); nuclear, 14 percent (86,163 megawatts); renewable energy sources, 12 percent (74,575 megawatts); petroleum, 7 percent (41,017 megawatts); and pumped storage hydroelectric, 3 percent (18,020 megawatts).

    U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

    As far as I can see the country DID follow his energy plan, coal fired capacity represented 43 percent of the Nations electricity production, natural gas at 19 percent and petroeum behind renewable at 7 percent.

    Here is brother Jimmy in his own words promoting the increased use of coal....It come at the end of the windbags speech so be patient, it's worth it.

    President Carter's Address to the Nation On Energy Policy



    Point four: I'm asking Congress to mandate, to require as a matter of law, that our nation's utility companies cut their massive use of oil by 50 percent within the next decade and switch to other fuels, especially coal, our most abundant energy source.

    You know we can do it. We have the natural resources. We have more oil in our shale alone than several Saudi Arabias. We have more coal than any nation on Earth.

    Crisis of Confidence . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS
    As far as I can see the country DID follow his energy plan, coal fired capacity represented 43 percent of the Nations electricity production and petroleum behind renewable at 7 percent. Carter's responsible for a lot of the Global warming they expect us to pay to fix right now....some visionary!
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 03-13-12 at 04:09 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  4. #84
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    We did listen to Carter and got near 50% of our electricity from Coal, is that a good thing or bad?



    In 2000, the existing capacity1 of U.S. electric utilities totaled 604,514 megawatts (Table 1), a net change of -34,810 megawatts (-5.4 percent) from the total reported in 1999. This was mainly due to the sale/transfer of 42,974 megawatts of capacity during 2000 to nonutilities. Based on primary energy source, coal-fired capacity represented 43 percent (260,990 megawatts) of the Nation's existing capacity (Figure 1). Gas-fired capacity accounted for 19 percent (117,845 megawatts); nuclear, 14 percent (86,163 megawatts); renewable energy sources, 12 percent (74,575 megawatts); petroleum, 7 percent (41,017 megawatts); and pumped storage hydroelectric, 3 percent (18,020 megawatts).

    U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

    As far as I can see the country DID follow his energy plan, coal fired capacity represented 43 percent of the Nations electricity production, natural gas at 19 percent and petroeum behind renewable at 7 percent.

    Here is brother Jimmy in his own words promoting the increased use of coal....It come at the end of the windbags speech so be patient, it's worth it.

    President Carter's Address to the Nation On Energy Policy





    As far as I can see the country DID follow his energy plan, coal fired capacity represented 43 percent of the Nations electricity production and petroleum behind renewable at 7 percent. Carter's responsible for a lot of the Global warming they expect us to pay to fix right now....some visionary!
    Is that all you know of Carter's Energy plan, just one piece of it? No surprise then that you have a skewed view.

    Carter also promoted and was providing funding for research and development of alternative energies such as solar, wind, nuclear, biofuels, as well as coal. An all of the above approach. However, all that, except coal was dropped when the big energy companies got Reagan elected and he ended carter's alternative energy programs. Reagan even took the solar panels down from the White House.

    So you are wrong. We didn't follow Carter's plan. Reagan said to party like it was 1959! Now we will pay for failing to heed the warnings.

    Karma is a Bitch!

    Happy motoring!
    Last edited by Catawba; 03-13-12 at 04:19 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #85
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Is that all you know of Carter's Energy plan, just one piece of it? No surprise then that you have a skewed view.

    Carter also promoted and was providing funding for research and development of alternative energies such as solar, wind, nuclear, biofuels, as well as coal. An all of the above approach. However, all that, except coal was dropped when the big energy companies got Reagan elected and he ended carter's alternative energy programs.

    So you are wrong. We didn't follow Carter's plan. Reagan said to party like it was 1959! Now we will pay for failing to heed the warnings.

    Karma is a Bitch!

    Happy motoring!
    I know all that and it all FAILED. As well as Carter's coal agenda. Do you know many of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, somehow expecting different results.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  6. #86
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    I know all that and it all FAILED. As well as Carter's coal agenda. Do you know many of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, somehow expecting different results.
    It didn't fail, it was cut off by the oil president, and replaced with Reaganomics which has worked out swimmingly for the working class over the last 30 years, don't you know. I'm sure they will be delighted to let that same dog bite them again!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #87
    Advisor Hikertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    09-26-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    352

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Which is why we should produce MORE. Actually, we should produce more because it would create jobs, wealth, and energy. And its the right of the citizens who own the resources to use them as they see fit. I have yet to see you explain why not.
    Talk to the oil companies, 60% of the onshore leases and 70% of the off shore leases aren't being utilized. I suppose we could start USOCO

  8. #88
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It didn't fail, it was cut off by the oil president, and replaced with Reaganomics which has worked out swimmingly for the working class over the last 30 years, don't you know. I'm sure they will be delighted to let that same dog bite them again!
    You seem so knowledgeable regarding what Carter and Reagan did, please post a link to your assertion Reagan "cut off" programs started by Carter.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  9. #89
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The fact there has not been a single year since 1971 that we could produce as much oil as we consume regardless of the party in control of government.




    Knock yourself out, it the meantime we need to develop alternatives.
    Knock yourself out. Sounds like we're in agreement that the conservative solution of exploiting all energy is the best way to go. So lets open ANWAR and the gulf.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Barack Obama pushes for $1bn green tax credits

    Quote Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
    Talk to the oil companies, 60% of the onshore leases and 70% of the off shore leases aren't being utilized. I suppose we could start USOCO
    Just got off the phone with the oil companies. They said theres no oil or its too expensive to extract from the leases available to them. But that theres probably lots of oil in areas the govt wont let them use.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •