Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 686

Thread: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

  1. #501
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,474

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I don't think these people know what comedy and laughing is. Somehow they think Kramer's meltdown was comedy so it was ok, but Bill Maher is a not a comedian, and that Rush Limbaugh has a comedy show.

    Every thing they say is completely the opposite of reality.

    Where did you get the idea that what Michael Richards said was OK?

    He paid a huge price for that. He hasn't worked much because of that after what he said. People just don't want to work with him.

    The incident happened on the 21st of November 2006 and since then he did some work on "The Bee Movie" which was a Sienfeld production (a favor), Curb Your Enthusiasm a Larry David Production (another favor) and a voice for an animated movie.

    He is not a working actor anymore.

  2. #502
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Rush is not a comedian so no he doesnt have the COMEDIAN card. That is why there is such "moral" outrage over Rush calling someone a slut, yet Bill Maher can call politcal officials truly terrible names with people not so much as batting an eye.
    "Politcal officials" are by their very nature public figures per SCOTUS's Hustler v Falwell decision. Rush has made his fair share of slams against politcal officials with no one doing more than raising an eyebrow.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #503
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Where did you get the idea that what Michael Richards said was OK?

    He paid a huge price for that. He hasn't worked much because of that after what he said. People just don't want to work with him.

    The incident happened on the 21st of November 2006 and since then he did some work on "The Bee Movie" which was a Sienfeld production (a favor), Curb Your Enthusiasm a Larry David Production (another favor) and a voice for an animated movie.

    He is not a working actor anymore.
    And the *reason* that he got skewered is that most people thought he stepped out of his comedy role when he made those offensive comments. He wasn't trying to be funny.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  4. #504
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    "Politcal officials" are by their very nature public figures per SCOTUS's Hustler v Falwell decision. Rush has made his fair share of slams against politcal officials with no one doing more than raising an eyebrow.
    To put it mildly. The guy probably says at least 20 offensive things about Obama every single show ... and no one is calling his sponsors about that.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  5. #505
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    "Politcal officials" are by their very nature public figures per SCOTUS's Hustler v Falwell decision. Rush has made his fair share of slams against politcal officials with no one doing more than raising an eyebrow.
    Slaming an official is simply par for the course. Using the "C" word and the "T" word and calling them lesbians, is not even close to the same. Its got nothing to do with being a public figure.

  6. #506
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    To put it mildly. The guy probably says at least 20 offensive things about Obama every single show ... and no one is calling his sponsors about that.
    Do you have any examples? How offensive could it be if he then turns around and gives the guy a million dollars for his re-election fund.

  7. #507
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Rush is not a comedian so no he doesnt have the COMEDIAN card. That is why there is such "moral" outrage over Rush calling someone a slut, yet Bill Maher can call politcal officials truly terrible names with people not so much as batting an eye.
    By the way, I have sincere doubts about the existence of this so-called COMEDIAN card. If it did exist Michael Richards wouldn't be living out the rest of his days in disgrace . Comedians' first objective is to make people laugh (Jon Stewart stated this quite clearly himself), and often they achieve this through irony and being edgy. But irony and that whole "edgy" thing are a tricky business and it can fail quite spectacularly (though in my opinion Michael Richards wasn't attempting to be ironic in his rant, and was in fact very much showing his true face).

    Again, I'm not actually defending Bill Maher as at the best of times he gets a weak smile out of me. But what examples by Bill Maher did you hear about that washes the slate clean for both him and Limbaugh?

  8. #508
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Why do you care about Limbaugh? He's just a pundit on radio.
    No, that's just his part time job. His full time job is the head of the Republican Party.

  9. #509
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What has that to do with the fact that Bill Maher gave $1 million to the Democ**ts?

    He has always made his politics quite clear and remains the go-to guy for those leftists who like their political humor on the raw side. No shot is too cheap and no person, man woman or child, will escape his wrath once he turns his sights on them. In turn,the Democ**ts have made him a very rich man.
    Wow! Good thing you identfy yourself as an Independent. Otherwise, with posts like this some might conclude you were just another Far Right Extremist. Demo****s, huh?

    Clever.

  10. #510
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    By the way, I have sincere doubts about the existence of this so-called COMEDIAN card. If it did exist Michael Richards wouldn't be living out the rest of his days in disgrace . Comedians' first objective is to make people laugh (Jon Stewart stated this quite clearly himself), and often they achieve this through irony and being edgy. But irony and that whole "edgy" thing are a tricky business and it can fail quite spectacularly (though in my opinion Michael Richards wasn't attempting to be ironic in his rant, and was in fact very much showing his true face).

    Again, I'm not actually defending Bill Maher as at the best of times he gets a weak smile out of me. But what examples by Bill Maher did you hear about that washes the slate clean for both him and Limbaugh?
    Nothing that Bill Maher said or will say will wash the slate clean for Rush, the point is that there is an obvious sense of selective moral outrage in this country when Rush can get hounded for weeks after saying the word slut on his program, but Bill Maher can call people names on a nightly basis and get away with it on the premis that he is a comedian (comedian card). He has called Palin a dumb Tw*t, he called her the C word, he has called her a lesbian, he has called Michelle Bachman a bimbo. He made a joke about Rick Santorum's wife using a vibrator (imagine if he had made a comment like that about michelle Obama during last election). The guy says disdainful things on every show, and he has never EVER been asked to apologize (nor has he given one).

    Rush shouldnt have called that girla slut, for obvious resons. However that wordpales in comparison to the words and names that Bill Maher throws at respectable political figures ALL THE TIME!

Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •