Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 686

Thread: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

  1. #371
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,518

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    So I guess I have to just keep repeating this, since no conservative will address it; Palin is a public figure. Fluke was not.
    Hmmm. I asked earlier in the thread -- if it's OK to say horrible misogynist things about Sarah Palin because she's a public figure, is it OK to say horrible racist things about Barack Obama, because he is, too?

    Your answer, if you wish to remain intellectually consistent, must be "yes."

    (Not that this "public figure" excuse isn't a whole bunch of hooey anyway. It's trying to apply a legal standard to something where it just doesn't matter.)
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #372
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Hmmm. I asked earlier in the thread -- if it's OK to say horrible misogynist things about Sarah Palin because she's a public figure, is it OK to say horrible racist things about Barack Obama, because he is, too?

    Your answer, if you wish to remain intellectually consistent, must be "yes."

    (Not that this "public figure" excuse isn't a whole bunch of hooey anyway. It's trying to apply a legal standard to something where it just doesn't matter.)

    By conservative logic, used against Clinton and his daughter, and Kerry when he ran, the answer would be yes.

    And we do hear such nearly daily, here and on Fox.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #373
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Hmmm. I asked earlier in the thread -- if it's OK to say horrible misogynist things about Sarah Palin because she's a public figure, is it OK to say horrible racist things about Barack Obama, because he is, too?

    Your answer, if you wish to remain intellectually consistent, must be "yes."

    (Not that this "public figure" excuse isn't a whole bunch of hooey anyway. It's trying to apply a legal standard to something where it just doesn't matter.)
    He does all the time. He always refers to him as Barack Hussein Obama and has, in the past, referred to him as a "half-minority".
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #374
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    He does all the time. He always refers to him as Barack Hussein Obama and has, in the past, referred to him as a "half-minority".
    Barack the magic negro ...

  5. #375
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Barack the magic negro ...
    Oh yeah, and that.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #376
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,518

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    By conservative logic, used against Clinton and his daughter, and Kerry when he ran, the answer would be yes.

    And we do hear such nearly daily, here and on Fox.
    Yeah. YOU are one who is pushing this "public figure" nonsense. You say it's somehow OK because Sarah Palin is a public figure. It's your argument. So, are horrible racist comments about Barack Obama OK to the same degree?

    Just give a straight answer -- and if not, why not?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #377
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yeah. YOU are one who is pushing this "public figure" nonsense. You say it's somehow OK because Sarah Palin is a public figure. It's your argument. So, are horrible racist comments about Barack Obama OK to the same degree?

    Just give a straight answer -- and if not, why not?
    I thought we just showed you a few of them that occurred in the past without repercussion or huge fuss from the media. What else do you want?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  8. #378
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Barack the magic negro ...
    Actually that was the LA Times reporter ...


  9. #379
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    He does all the time. He always refers to him as Barack Hussein Obama and has, in the past, referred to him as a "half-minority".
    Which of those two things is untrue?


  10. #380
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Bill Maher defends Rush Limbaugh for 'slut' apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Actually that was the LA Times reporter ...

    Barack the Magic Negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Barack the Magic Negro"[2] is a song by American political satirist Paul Shanklin who wrote and recorded it for the Rush Limbaugh Show as satire after it was first applied to presidential candidate Obama by movie and culture critic, David Ehrenstein, in a Los Angeles Times op ed column of March 19, 2007. It was played numerous times in 2007 and 2008 by Rush Limbaugh and appeared on the 2008 album We Hate the USA. It is sung by Shanklin to the tune of "Puff, the Magic Dragon". Shanklin impersonates black activist Al Sharpton, who regretfully sings that white people will vote for Barack Obama for President instead of Sharpton, because Obama is a magical Negro (a term previously popularized by Spike Lee[3]), not a real black man from the "hood".

    Limbaugh was criticized and accused by some of racism for playing the song. The controversy eventually died down in regards to Limbaugh. It was reignited in December 2008, when Chip Saltsman, a candidate for chairman of the Republican National Committee, sent out CDs containing the song to 168 other RNC members as a Christmas gift, hoping to bolster his 2009 campaign for RNC chair. The move backfired, Saltsman dropped his bid to head the RNC, and ultimately African American Republican Michael Steele won the chairmanship.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •