Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 429

Thread: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

  1. #401
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    (1) I never said "USA" was in and of itself racist. In fact, I stated the opposite. Neither "nigger" nor "USA" is inherently insulting. Both BECOME insulting depending upon the context in which it was used. In this context, it was insulting. Whether it's racist is arguable as I said.

    (2) Where did they say that they chant "USA" at every game? And why are you taking their word for it?


    (3) This has nothing to do with what I said and the "they did it first" whine is less than amusing. Although, the fact that they were chanting "Alamo Whites" just furthers the argument that chanting USA was meant to be insulting.
    (1) It may have been insulting, but I don't think it was racist. Both sides were being foolish.

    (2) Gie explained it.

    (3) Why is it supposedly insulting during this game, but not during their older games, considering the various opposing players with differing backgrounds?
    Last edited by Wake; 03-19-12 at 05:57 PM.

  2. #402
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I found one of them using Google. Still don't see how frequency changes things - even one of the students from Alamo Heights said that he thought some of the kids meant it to be offensive.
    I of course am not arguing that frequency changes things, I've argued that both chants were offensive and I do believe that some on both sides of the court meant to be offensive. I mean the whole "Alamo Whites" chant started after the Mules (Alamo Heights team name) came from behind to win the game in the last quarter. I suspect had Edison not lost the game the "Alamo Whites" chant likely would not have been heard at all. But that is just speculation on my part.
    Last edited by Gie; 03-19-12 at 05:55 PM.

  3. #403
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Oh good lord don't let the fact that I have not dropped any ad hom bombs on you get in the way of your whine. Oh man, the shame I must feel about this nonexistent occurrence. To say nothing of the rank not accepting responsibility for not attacking you with ad homs.

    You do realize you don't even make any sense and appear to just be talking as they say, out your posterior? Of course you do.
    I know, it is difficult to take responsibility for your behaviors. Remember... admitting you have a problem is the first step towards enlightenment.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I know, it is difficult to take responsibility for your behaviors. Remember... admitting you have a problem is the first step towards enlightenment.
    Meanwhile as the thread progresses and the actual topic is being discussed, we have you still pretending I attacked you personally with ad hominem insults. Given the fact that no such attack took place and does not appear anywhere in the thread, all this personal responsibility idiocy of yours is rather irrational. You appear to be letting your irrational emotions get the best of you and make an ass of yourself. Which is fine by me. Either way, we won't be seeing you post the supposed quote in question, ya know because it is a figment of your imagination or a delusion of some sort. Perhaps it is only that you have made a mistake, either way I could care less, end of the day is that you are just talking out your ass about something that never occurred.


    Bye now Captain Courtesy.

  5. #405
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Meanwhile as the thread progresses and the actual topic is being discussed, we have you still pretending I attacked you personally with ad hominem insults. Given the fact that no such attack took place and does not appear anywhere in the thread, all this personal responsibility idiocy of yours is rather irrational. You appear to be letting your irrational emotions get the best of you and make an ass of yourself. Which is fine by me. Either way, we won't be seeing you post the supposed quote in question, ya know because it is a figment of your imagination or a delusion of some sort. Perhaps it is only that you have made a mistake, either way I could care less, end of the day is that you are just talking out your ass about something that never occurred.


    Bye now Captain Courtesy.
    I like how you put Courtesy in italics... it makes it very dramatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #406
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I like how you put Courtesy in italics... it makes it very dramatic.
    If I thought putting it in bold red two story tall neon font would help the poor man come to the realization that he is literally harping on a non existent event, I probably would. But yes, it is a lot of "drama" based around a non event.

  7. #407
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    (1) It may have been insulting, but I don't think it was racist. Both sides were being foolish.
    Sure.

    (2) Gie explained it.
    And frequency still does not prove lack of racial/ethnic intent in this case.

    (3) Why is it supposedly insulting during this game, but not during their older games, considering the various opposing players with differing backgrounds?
    I never said it wasn't insulting in other games. But we're talking about this game and in this game, so: the nationality of the team + the opposing team apparently chanting 'Alamo Whites' + the fact that BOTH Edison and Alamo Heights students said it was meant to be insulting makes the idea that it was insulting and ethnically-based much more likely than the idea that it wasn't insulting or ethnically-based.

  8. #408
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I never said it wasn't insulting in other games. But we're talking about this game and in this game, so: the nationality of the team + the opposing team apparently chanting 'Alamo Whites' + the fact that BOTH Edison and Alamo Heights students said it was meant to be insulting makes the idea that it was insulting and ethnically-based much more likely than the idea that it wasn't insulting or ethnically-based.
    If I punch an Asian man, am I a racist? Am I a racist if I first punch two white men, a black man, the asian man, and then an Arabic man?

    The punch is like an insult, but it isn't necessarily racist. Also, if one man punched me pretty hard, I'd be inclined to punch back.

    Insulting? Sure. Racist? I don't think so. If it was racist, then both sides were racist.

  9. #409
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Meanwhile as the thread progresses and the actual topic is being discussed, we have you still pretending I attacked you personally with ad hominem insults. Given the fact that no such attack took place and does not appear anywhere in the thread, all this personal responsibility idiocy of yours is rather irrational. You appear to be letting your irrational emotions get the best of you and make an ass of yourself. Which is fine by me. Either way, we won't be seeing you post the supposed quote in question, ya know because it is a figment of your imagination or a delusion of some sort. Perhaps it is only that you have made a mistake, either way I could care less, end of the day is that you are just talking out your ass about something that never occurred.


    Bye now Captain Courtesy.
    Of course it happened. Your inability to take responsibility prevents you from admitting it. Not my problem.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    I had the opportunity to sit down with a friend of mine tonight who is not only a journalist, but one who has investigated and written about this story. Albeit in an opinion column. Clearly this is all anecdotal, but as I learned I had some facts wrong and so did others, I thought I would pass it along.

    The "Alamo Whites" chant did occur and the "USA" chant was started in reply to it. The "USA" chant was NOT heard at every game this year. This was something a student claimed but upon investigation it turned out not to be true. It never happened. The coach of the Alamo Heights team immediately quashed the USA chant because he recognized it was offensive. While Alamo Heights did recently play a game against an all white team from an affluent area in Austin, no USA chant was used at this or any other game this year or any other year for that matter. Essentially this was bad behavior by fans of both teams, from the get go.

    Thought I'd share.

    On a different note, it sure is funny how the poster that tried to lecture me about personal accountability and responsibility, owning up to ones actions, now that he has finally figured out he was not personally attacked ad hominem? He is not practicing what he preached, taking no accountability or responsibility for his actions. Yeah it is kinda funny and obvious as all hell too.

    EDIT: Opps, the Captain has doubled down on stupid. Again. So not only will we not be seeing the Captain quote or point us to all the ad hom personal attacks that did not occur against him, but he won't be taking any responsibility for his dishonest actions either. He is just going to double down on them, keep making the same claim over and over again and hope nobody notices that none of it occurred and hopefully not wonder why he does not just simply quote and post the ad hom attacks that he swears (pinky promise) were made against him. Makes his whole lecture earlier seem irrational and obvious as hell too.
    Last edited by Gie; 03-20-12 at 06:24 AM.

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •