Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 429

Thread: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

  1. #361
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I think we went through this last week. I do not see that chanting "USA" in this context as racist. I see it as offensive.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification.

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I think we went through this last week. I do not see that chanting "USA" in this context as racist. I see it as offensive.
    Well so do I. Of course at this point I'd like to share with you, via one of my favorite character actors, exactly what I think about your, mine or anyone else's right to be offended.
    fry.jpg

  3. #363
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Well so do I. Of course at this point I'd like to share with you, via one of my favorite character actors, exactly what I think about your, mine or anyone else's right to be offended.
    Which is irrelevant to the point. The issue isn't whether someone has the right to not be offended. The issue is whether the comments were offensive or not.

    Btw... one of my favorite things to say is... "you have no right to NOT be offended."
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #364
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So, we only see context in this thread of we agree with you that chanting USA is racist?
    Anyone who denies that interpreting the "USA" chant as racist in the situation under discussion to be a normal and reasonable interpretation -- is indeed actively ignoring obvious context on at least two scales.

    The repeated diversionary tactics:

    • Implication that an additional racist chant by the opposing team somehow cancels out the racism of the "USA" chant;
    • Pointing to the habitual use of the "USA" chant as if that in any way makes the interpretation of the "USA" chant as racist to be any less plausible;



    constitute evidence of a commitment (if conscious) or at least complicity in (if unconscious) the attempt to discuss anything BUT the actual topic (i.e. the reasonable interpretation of the "USA" chant as racist).

    So yes...actively denying context is indeed in conflict with seeing (and acknowledging) context.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Which is irrelevant to the point. The issue isn't whether someone has the right to not be offended. The issue is whether the comments were offensive or not.

    Btw... one of my favorite things to say is... "you have no right to NOT be offended."
    You mean to say that we both find both phrases offensive? Because just for snigs and gigs, is there somewhere in the thread that you have expressed your offense at the "other" chant?
    Last edited by Gie; 03-19-12 at 02:41 AM.

  6. #366
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    You mean to say that we both find the phrases offensive? OK, what the hell. WHO thus far, does not?
    Early in the thread, there were certainly some who said that chanting "USA" was not offensive. One poster who comes to mind is j-mac.

    What is your point? Amorphous who says what which is irrelevant to what point? Seriously, please clarify.
    We are not discussing whether someone has the right or not right to be offended. We are discussing whether or not the chant WAS offensive.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Early in the thread, there were certainly some who said that chanting "USA" was not offensive. One poster who comes to mind is j-mac.



    We are not discussing whether someone has the right or not right to be offended. We are discussing whether or not the chant WAS offensive.
    I edited my reply, but want to give yours a fair hearing. Did these same nebulous posters say chanting "USA" is not offensive, or did they say that it was not offensive in reply to equally "offensive" chants? Or did they say that the Alamo Heights 14 year olds are racist and offensive for chanting USA? Your ball of wax, errr *context* so share as you will.

    Again, who is this "we" Kemosabe?

    Thus far, via recently supplied links and quotes, most if not all liberal posters in this thread are really really hung up on what a bunch of tweens chanted for 5 seconds and not what they were responding to. Go figure. Good thing our non biased friends in the media were not pushing any agenda that got picked up on here at DP.
    Last edited by Gie; 03-19-12 at 02:51 AM.

  8. #368
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    I edited my reply, but want to give yours a fair hearing. Did these same nebulous posters say chanting "USA" is not offensive, or did they say that it was not offensive in reply to equally "offensive" chants? Or did they say that the Alamo Heights 14 year olds are racist and offensive for chanting USA? Your ball of wax, share as you will.

    Again, who is this "we" Kemosabe?
    Here's the problem with your comment. If we agree that no one has a right to not be offended, then it is irrelevant as to who started what. Both chants stand on their own. And... these "nebulous" posters stated the lack of offensiveness BEFORE it was stated that the Edison kids said anything.

    And this "we" follows along with the OP. Unless some have chosen a diversion.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Here's the problem with your comment. If we agree that no one has a right to not be offended, then it is irrelevant as to who started what. Both chants stand on their own. And... these "nebulous" posters stated the lack of offensiveness BEFORE it was stated that the Edison kids said anything.

    And this "we" follows along with the OP. Unless some have chosen a diversion.
    Here is the problem with your comment. We don't agree that no one has a "right" to be offended. What a stupid conversation that would be. Since who started what is not on the table, why bring up nebulous posters? If I could make sense of your comment that "nebulous posters stated the lack of offensiveness BEFORE it was stated that the Edison kids said anything" I would. Only try as I might, I can't decipher the obviously brilliant point hidden within this so called Easter egg.

    Also, regarding nebulous comments and since you may have missed it, I'd like to re-pose my previous question.

    You mean to say that we both find both phrases offensive? Because just for snigs and gigs, is there somewhere in the thread that you have expressed your offense at the "other" chant?
    Last edited by Gie; 03-19-12 at 03:08 AM.

  10. #370
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Here is the problem with your comment. We don't agree that no one has a "right" to be offended.
    No, I believe that we do agree. I said no one has the right to NOT be offended. If someone is offended, there is no law to cease the individual from not continuing to offend you.

    What a stupid conversation that would be. Since who started what is not on the table, why bring up nebulous posters? If I could make sense of your comment that "nebulous posters stated the lack of offensiveness BEFORE it was stated that the Edison kids said anything" I would. Only try as I might, I can't decipher the obviously brilliant point hidden within this so called Easter egg.
    Perhaps if you read a little more closely you might understand what is being communicated. Here, I'll try it again... just for you. Who started it is irrelevant to whether either comment was offensive. In this thread, prior to the discussion that the Edison kids had said ANYTHING to the Alamo kids, some posters denied that the original chanting from the Alamo kids was offensive. There. I hope that was clear enough for you.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •