Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 429

Thread: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    So San Antonio fans did chant "Alamo Whites."

    The question is whether they chanted it first or not.

    If San Antonio did chant that, then it could make sense that the "USA!" Chant was retaliation.

    Otherwise, it could be that fans have been chanting "USA!" during each game, nullifying any mission of racism.

  2. #322
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Examination of both your links does confirm that the "USA" chant has been in use all season long. I see nothing in either link about a time line of chronological events related to this story. So again, since the "USA" chant has been used all season long, this seems to be merely a misunderstanding if your suggested timeline is to be taken at face value. The reporter did a piss poor job IMO and is the person who assigned racist motives to the actions of some of the crowd. A good reporter probably would not have done that, a really good journalist would have included relevant facts such as those other reporters have brought forth subsequent to the initial "reporting" and I use that word with my tongue planted firmly in cheek.
    The claim that it being a chant used all season long is highly suspect. The Mules COACH was the one who stopped the audience chanting it. If it was in fact a chant used throughout the season, why did this coach seem to act as if it wasn't? If it was a regular thing, why did the coach reprimand the audience and put a stop to it?

    Also, I thought when you said "timeline" you meant the events that happened during this particular game. As in when the Chants of USA and Alamo Whites began.

    You have an odd understanding of the term Bigotry. So the next time I hear a sports team, or fans of a sports team, say they are #1 or are the best, or better than all the rest, I will what? Be seeing an example of bigotry? No of course I won't, that is just stupid.
    But that's not what is happening here. They are not chanting "Go Mules!" They are chanting USA, as if saying that their team is more American than the opposing team. If you chanted "Go Mules!", that's what the meaning behind that chant would translate to, no? That your team is better than the other?

    The bigotry stems, not from them saying they are a better basketball team, but it comes from them claiming to be better Americans than the opposing team.
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 03-12-12 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    The claim that it being a chant used all season long is highly suspect. The Mules COACH was the one who stopped the audience chanting it. If it was in fact a chant used throughout the season, why did this coach seem to act as if it wasn't? If it was a regular thing, why did the coach reprimand the audience and put a stop to it?

    Also, I thought when you said "timeline" you meant the events that happened during this particular game. As in when the Chants of USA and Alamo Whites began.



    But that's not what is happening here. They are not chanting "Go Mules!" They are chanting USA, as if saying that their team is more American than the opposing team. If you chanted "Go Mules!", that's what the meaning behind that chant would translate to, no?

    The bigotry stems, not from them saying they are a better basketball team, but it comes from them claiming to be better Americans than the opposing team.
    If we go by this timeline you suggested earlier, the coach would be stopping the chant because he was hearing the "Alamo Whites" chant and trying to diffuse a misunderstanding.

    Your bigotry argument is less than persuasive and at odds with the definition of bigotry. Just saying. Words have meaning, much like timeline or chronological. If I had any idea I'd have to explain what "timeline" and "chronological" meant to you, in addition to "bigotry" I'd have spared myself wasting my time on the whole exercise. Try to keep up please?
    Last edited by Gie; 03-12-12 at 02:47 PM.

  4. #324
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    If we go by this timeline you suggested earlier, the coach would be stopping the chant because he was hearing the "Alamo Whites" chant and trying to diffuse a misunderstanding.
    Not according to the video in the link I posted. Did you watch it? Did you hear Alamo Whites before the USA chants?

    Your bigotry argument is less than persuasive and at odds with the definition of bigotry. Just saying.
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Not according to the video in the link I posted. Did you watch it? Did you hear Alamo Whites before the USA chants?



    How so?
    First, go look up bigotry. Once you are familiar with the actual term and what it means, then try to make your argument jibe with what the word actually means. Second, your video contains no "timeline" or reference to any chronological order of events what so ever. You sure you are wide awake and not half asleep still?

  6. #326
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    Any treatment of "race" as if it were real is racism, so YES, anyone expressing pride in their "race" is most definitely participating in racism.

    Identifying the PERSON (as opposed to the action) as being a racist is quite another matter. I unclog my toilet from time to time, but I'm never mistaken for a plumber. To me, for someone to BE a racist is distinct from participating in racism. The vast overwhelming majority of people in the U.S. participate in racism. Only a select few within that pool, however, can be said to BE racists -- meaning people who go out of their way to treat "race" as if it were real in their social or professional role (and typically call for doing something about it). A random adult in damn near any city likely participates in racism. You have to look fairly hard, however, to find someone who IS a racist (that's their identity).

    For me, such rare examples would include:

    • David Duke
    • Charles Murray
    • Louis Farrakhan
    • Julius Malema
    • Jared Taylor


    etc.

    Most participants in racism are complicit in -- rather than ideologically committed to -- racism. In other words, they go along with participating in racism because they have little to no means of easily accessing a nonracist alternative.

    Moving on to the completely different issue of nationality, that requires a case-by-case analysis. Nationality is not the same thing as "race," nor even (as so frequently and falsely imagined) the same thing as one's country (which gets confusing, because there are some cases where it is officially treated as the same thing). Sometimes two or more of these coincide, sometimes they are different.

    So is expression of "racial" pride automatically a racist sentiment/action? HELL yes. Is expression of nationalist pride automatically racist? No; we'd need more context.
    If I am understanding you correctly, you are not differentiating between whites, blacks, or any other race, or american, indian, british or any other nationality. If you are considering anyone who has pride in their race a racist then I can respect that. My problem is really with people who act like black pride/brown pride ect are ok but white pride is wrong. Or people who fight and argue that people of other cultures have every right to display pride in their cultures and countries but the second an American displays it it is wrong. If the playing field is level then i have no problem. I am tired of seeing these dumb double standards.

  7. #327
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    First, go look up bigotry. Once you are familiar with the actual term and what it means, then try to make your argument jibe with what the word actually means. Second, your video contains no "timeline" or reference to any chronological order of events what so ever. You sure you are wide awake and not half asleep still?
    If you've gone through this thread, I have posted and also used what others posted as definitions of Racism, Discrimination, Prejudice, and yes, Bigotry. If you want a definition, I suggest you read the thread.

    You didn't address my earlier point. Why did the coach stop the chants if it was a regular thing that he heard?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    If you've gone through this thread, I have posted and also used what others posted as definitions of Racism, Discrimination, Prejudice, and yes, Bigotry. If you want a definition, I suggest you read the thread.

    You didn't address my earlier point. Why did the coach stop the chants if it was a regular thing that he heard?
    I not only did address what I thought one reason the coach stopped the chant for might be, I linked it to your timeline comments made earlier. Before I understood you did not know what the words timeline or chronological really meant or that you could not provide any kind of source for. Maybe you should go through the thread again. Maybe twice so it sticks with you.

    That whole "I used what others posted as definitions of Racism, Discrimination, Prejudice, and yes, Bigotry" dodge is particularly stupid when conjoined with your suggestion I read the thread. Because not one poster has supplied a definition for a single one of those words anywhere in the thread. So basically we are back to the fact that you don't have a clue what Bigotry is and you can't make your argument that chanting "USA" is bigotry make a lick of sense. Which was obvious the second you started using the word Bigotry. Yes, read the thread read a dictionary, understand what the words you are using actually mean before you start, ya know, using them?
    Last edited by Gie; 03-12-12 at 05:02 PM.

  9. #329
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    I not only did address what I thought one reason the coach stopped the chant for might be, I linked it to your timeline comments made earlier.
    And I said you were incorrect. Watch it again:
    High School Chant of 'USA! USA! USA!' Deemed Racist - War On Patriotism - Fox Nation

    Where in the report said that the Coach reacted to "Alamo Whites"? It doesn't. School officials even go on record to say that the coach stopped the USA chant, and was commended for it.

    If it was in fact a regular chant, the coach would not have acted the way he did, because he would have been to every game they played this year. It would have been another regular game for him. But that was not how it went down.

    Are you going to keep saying that this was a regular chant? If so, I'd like to hear you support that claim.

    That whole "I used what others posted as definitions of Racism, Discrimination, Prejudice, and yes, Bigotry" dodge is particularly stupid when conjoined with your suggestion I read the thread. Because not one poster has supplied a definition for a single one of those words anywhere in the thread. So basically we are back to the fact that you don't have a clue what Bigotry is and you can't make your argument that chanting "USA" is bigotry make a lick of sense. Which was obvious the second you started using the word Bigotry. Yes, read the thread read a dictionary, understand what the words you are using actually mean before you start, ya know, using them?
    I apologize, it was in the spin off thread that was made where all the definitions were posted. I didn't feel like regurgitating the definition since it has been repeated ad nauseum.

    a Bigot - big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\
    : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

    Now, you tell me how I was using it wrong.

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    And I said you were incorrect. Watch it again:
    High School Chant of 'USA! USA! USA!' Deemed Racist - War On Patriotism - Fox Nation

    Where in the report said that the Coach reacted to "Alamo Whites"? It doesn't. School officials even go on record to say that the coach stopped the USA chant, and was commended for it.

    If it was in fact a regular chant, the coach would not have acted the way he did, because he would have been to every game they played this year. It would have been another regular game for him. But that was not how it went down.

    Are you going to keep saying that this was a regular chant? If so, I'd like to hear you support that claim.



    I apologize, it was in the spin off thread that was made where all the definitions were posted. I didn't feel like regurgitating the definition since it has been repeated ad nauseum.

    a Bigot - big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\
    : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

    Now, you tell me how I was using it wrong.
    You didn't feel like repeating all of the definitions that are not in the thread? I mean that would take zero seconds to accomplish since there are none for you to repeat. Based upon this brain dead kind of stuff, which you just keep repeating, well, good day.
    Last edited by Gie; 03-12-12 at 05:35 PM.

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •