Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 429

Thread: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

  1. #301
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Obviously we don't both know what their intent was. Also you are not answering my question.
    Well of course you're unable to see the intent, since you make an effort to ignore the contexts described to you multiple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I don't think they lack an understanding of context. They just don't want to see it because they refuse to see past the fact that people are being criticized for chanting "USA" First and foremost, they see that as people being punished for being patriotic. The reason behind them chanting "USA" doesn't even enter into it for them. However, in situations that suit them better, they are all about context. Sadly, the same goes for the other side. They aren't called "partisan blinders" for nothing.
    Just curious, now that more than the initial piss poor reporting of the story has had a chance to be exposed. Does the fact that the USA chant has been made at every single game the Mules have played all year make any difference? If in fact the chant "Alamo Whites" was being chanted at the Alamo Heights team, does that have any bearing or "racist" connotations? Probably not, though I do believe Dr_Patrick has hit the proverbial nail upon the head.

  3. #303
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Just curious, now that more than the initial piss poor reporting of the story has had a chance to be exposed. Does the fact that the USA chant has been made at every single game the Mules have played all year make any difference? If in fact the chant "Alamo Whites" was being chanted at the Alamo Heights team, does that have any bearing or "racist" connotations? Probably not, though I do believe Dr_Patrick has hit the proverbial nail upon the head.
    First, I'd like to understand why they are using USA as a chant, simply because it is highly irregular. It doesn't show school spirit, it doesn't show support for their team, and it doesn't make sense at school sporting events like these.

    Second, even if the chanting of USA is used regularly at all their games, Edison wouldn't be privy to that knowledge. So when the chanting began, Edison students retaliated. I'm not trying to excuse them because there is no excuse, but it would certainly explain the intent behind Edison's chant. Edison students thought the chant meant that they were saying they are better Americans than they were, and Edison used "Alamo Whites" to call the other side racist (stereotypical white racist; white power).
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  4. #304
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    First, I'd like to understand why they are using USA as a chant, simply because it is highly irregular. It doesn't show school spirit, it doesn't show support for their team, and it doesn't make sense at school sporting events like these.

    Second, even if the chanting of USA is used regularly at all their games, Edison wouldn't be privy to that knowledge. So when the chanting began, Edison students retaliated. I'm not trying to excuse them because there is no excuse, but it would certainly explain the intent behind Edison's chant. Edison students thought the chant meant that they were saying they are better Americans than they were, and Edison used "Alamo Whites" to call the other side racist (stereotypical white racist; white power).
    Chanting USA is not irregular. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a pride in one's country. It seems like you only agree with that when it any country other than the United States.

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    This reminds me of that one incident where a lesbian had her young son say something critical to Michelle Bachmann. Both sides didn't know the exact intent; people on the right tended to say that the mother put her son up to doing it to make a political point. However, the right had no proof and could only speculate.

    And now we have this incident, where it's the left making accusations without proof, but instead speculating.

    Partisans.

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    according to google maps, these two high schools are 3.5 miles apart
    yet one is predominantly white and the other hispanic
    THAT is the underlying problem
    we have allowed our schools to become re-segregated
    those with political influence direct the drawing of the school attendance boundary lines
    we gerrymander school attendance areas just as we gerrymander political districts
    and then we are alarmed by a result such as this
    so much for a melting pot. it's actually the un-melding of America
    say it with me
    USA! USA! USA!


    proud yet?!
    Look as they say, before you leap. As Harry Guerrilla pointed out there is no gerrymandering. Alamo Heights is one of the oldest neighborhoods in San Antonio and its own city, with its own police force, city hall, mayor, etc, etc. When it was established it was considered on the edge of town, out in the sticks. In succeeding generations San Antonio grew up literally "around" Alamo Heights 360 degrees "around" it to draw a picture.

    And just for clarification, the term "Alamo Whites" has been a slur/insult, or joke depending upon *context* for a long long time. The fans of Edison who were chanting "Alamo Whites" at the game knew what they were saying and they were not trying to be complementary.

    Urban Dictionary: Alamo Whites

    Since virtually all reports put all chants at the game as coming from the stands, not the bench or from the teams themselves, blaming the teams and more particularly, the student team members and punishing them for the actions and words coming from the stands is not only grossly unfair, but just plain stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    First, I'd like to understand why they are using USA as a chant, simply because it is highly irregular. It doesn't show school spirit, it doesn't show support for their team, and it doesn't make sense at school sporting events like these.

    Second, even if the chanting of USA is used regularly at all their games, Edison wouldn't be privy to that knowledge. So when the chanting began, Edison students retaliated. I'm not trying to excuse them because there is no excuse, but it would certainly explain the intent behind Edison's chant. Edison students thought the chant meant that they were saying they are better Americans than they were, and Edison used "Alamo Whites" to call the other side racist (stereotypical white racist; white power).
    Could you please share a link that details this timeline you speak to? If this is all just a misunderstanding as you suggest, then it should be easy to weed out all the "racist" arguments and stop trying to assign blame for this on the teenagers that were there that day, just to play a sport.
    Last edited by Gie; 03-12-12 at 01:49 PM.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    Look as they say, before you leap. As Harry Guerrilla pointed out there is no gerrymandering. Alamo Heights is one of the oldest neighborhoods in San Antonio and its own city, with its own police force, city hall, mayor, etc, etc. When it was established it was considered on the edge of town, out in the sticks. In succeeding generations San Antonio grew up literally "around" Alamo Heights 360 degrees "around" it to draw a picture.

    And just for clarification, the term "Alamo Whites" has been a slur/insult, or joke depending upon *context* for a long long time. The fans of Edison who were chanting "Alamo Whites" at the game knew what they were saying and they were not trying to be complementary.

    Urban Dictionary: Alamo Whites

    Since virtually all reports put all chants at the game as coming from the stands, not the bench or from the teams themselves, blaming the teams and more particularly, the student team members and punishing them for the actions and words coming from the stands is not only grossly unfair, but just plain stupid.


    Could you please share a link that details this timeline you speak to?
    So some were chanting "Alamo Whites," and others were chanting "USA"?

    If so, that changes things, a lot, and that apology on account of the coach needs to be redacted.

  8. #308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    So some were chanting "Alamo Whites," and others were chanting "USA"?

    If so, that changes things, a lot, and that apology on account of the coach needs to be redacted.
    I disagree, I think the coach did the right and classy thing and the only thing that should be withdrawn is the complaint that officials at Edison filed against the Mules team and Alamo Height High School. It was Mules fans that were chanting USA as they have at every game this season. The teams, both of them, were there to play ball and did. Blaming the schools or the teams for the actions of fans and members of the public who were in the stands is wrong.

  9. #309
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Chanting USA is not irregular. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a pride in one's country. It seems like you only agree with that when it any country other than the United States.
    You're telling me if you walked into a high school game tonight, you'll here either team chant USA?
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    I disagree, I think the coach did the right and classy thing and the only thing that should be withdrawn is the complaint that officials at Edison filed against the Mules team and Alamo Height High School. It was Mules fans that were chanting USA as they have at every game this season. The teams, both of them, were there to play ball and did. Blaming the schools or the teams for the actions of fans and members of the public who were in the stands is wrong.
    Alright. What do you think of this issue in general, because it seems there's new info and it's not clear to me what really went on.

    If the Mules have been chanting "USA!" every game, why are we talking about this issue? If the other team was shouting "Alamo Whites," then both crowds were in the wrong.

    Guess I'm trying to discern what actually happened.

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •