Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 429

Thread: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

  1. #21
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Make no mistake...there IS a double standard on what is reported and what makes national news in this country.

    "Police are investigating a possible race hate attack after a 13-year-old boy was doused in gasoline and set on fire.
    The teenager, who suffered first degree burns to his face and hands, is white and his two attackers black.
    his mother Melissa Coon said the attackers told her son ‘This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy’."
    ‘You get what you deserve, white boy’: doused in gasoline and set alight in racially-motivated attack in Kansas City | Education News

    Roles reversed...and this would be the lead story on every network news broadcast in the country.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Wake's insistence on using a very specific definition of the term "racist" notwithstanding, TPD is correct. It was aimed at being offensive, attacking the other team's ethnicity.

    Oh, and whether this or an opposite situation was reported or not is irrelevant to the issue.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Make no mistake...there IS a double standard on what is reported and what makes national news in this country.

    "Police are investigating a possible race hate attack after a 13-year-old boy was doused in gasoline and set on fire.
    The teenager, who suffered first degree burns to his face and hands, is white and his two attackers black.
    his mother Melissa Coon said the attackers told her son ‘This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy’."
    ‘You get what you deserve, white boy’: doused in gasoline and set alight in racially-motivated attack in Kansas City | Education News

    Roles reversed...and this would be the lead story on every network news broadcast in the country.
    And what makes your point so sad is that it's true.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Wake's insistence on using a very specific definition of the term "racist" notwithstanding, TPD is correct. It was aimed at being offensive, attacking the other team's ethnicity.
    I am not wrong. There was no racism, because Hispanic is a culture.

    I will grant there may have been an element of bigotry involved in doing this, but not racism; we must be fair.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Wake's insistence on using a very specific definition of the term "racist" notwithstanding, TPD is correct. It was aimed at being offensive, attacking the other team's ethnicity.

    Oh, and whether this or an opposite situation was reported or not is irrelevant to the issue.
    Have to split hairs on this.
    Racist is a specific term, else it loses all meaning.

    Simply saying the kids chanting USA, to hurt Hispanic students was rude, would be a better choice of words.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Have to split hairs on this.
    Racist is a specific term, else it loses all meaning.

    Simply saying the kids chanting USA, to hurt Hispanic students was rude, would be a better choice of words.
    Thank you Harry. That's my point.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I am not wrong. There was no racism, because Hispanic is a culture.

    I will grant there may have been an element of bigotry involved in doing this, but not racism; we must be fair.
    Point out where I said there was racism. You are using a very specific definition. Most people use a more generalized definition. If you want to adhere to your definition, fine. The chanting of "USA" was not racist, but it was offensively attacking the ethnicity of the other team.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Have to split hairs on this.
    Racist is a specific term, else it loses all meaning.
    Racism is often commonly used as bigotry towards another ethnicity. Right or wrong, that's how it gets used commonly.

    Simply saying the kids chanting USA, to hurt Hispanic students was rude, would be a better choice of words.
    That's fine, and I agree.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #29
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,884

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Have to split hairs on this.
    Racist is a specific term, else it loses all meaning.

    Simply saying the kids chanting USA, to hurt Hispanic students was rude, would be a better choice of words.
    I remember challenging the diversity instructor at work over this. He put up the definition of race, and based on that, people who live near Chernobyl would be considered a race. The class ended rather abruptly.

  10. #30
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Make no mistake...there IS a double standard on what is reported and what makes national news in this country.

    "Police are investigating a possible race hate attack after a 13-year-old boy was doused in gasoline and set on fire.
    The teenager, who suffered first degree burns to his face and hands, is white and his two attackers black.
    his mother Melissa Coon said the attackers told her son ‘This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy’."
    ‘You get what you deserve, white boy’: doused in gasoline and set alight in racially-motivated attack in Kansas City | Education News

    Roles reversed...and this would be the lead story on every network news broadcast in the country.
    I don't know, I think that's pretty ****ty. Seems like you heard about it. I don't think anyone is ok with racism from any angle.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •