Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 429

Thread: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

  1. #261
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It might denote racism, but it certainly denotes prejudice. And the only thing my comment say about me is that I'm capable of evaluating actions within the context in which they occur.

    How ashamed of being American does one have to be to think that a chant of "USA" is a bad thing? Sad dude, real sad.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #262
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How ashamed of being American does one have to be to think that a chant of "USA" is a bad thing? Sad dude, real sad.


    j-mac
    What is really a shame is that there are people like you who cannot see how this is even remotely prejudiced against the hispanic kids, when the example provided is quite clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #263
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    U.S. News - Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game



    Hmmm, I didn't know that the USA consisted of white people only.

    What really burns my blood is that you can not possibly imagine the stuff my daughter has heard playing basketball and running in track meets at predominantly black schools, but MSNBC wouldn't be the least bit interested in a story like that.

    Double standards run amuck.
    How is any of that racist? So what if they are Hispanic? They were still born in the US. And even if they weren't it isn't racist, but rather nationalistic and that isn't a problem. I don't get how anyone can say that what occurred is racist unless you are assuming that the Hispanic kids weren't born in the US (which itself would be racist).
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #264
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    What is really a shame is that there are people like you who cannot see how this is even remotely prejudiced against the hispanic kids, when the example provided is quite clear.
    He sees it.

  5. #265
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Except, of course, there is no indication that any of that was happening. What did happen was that a bunch of rich white kids from a rich white school thought it would be funny to chant USA at a team with brown kids on it. It doesn't get much more racist than that, short of dragging a noose around the court.
    My hypothetical ended up being right. Funny/lucky.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Good luck with finding a link. This strikes me as a 'We look like a bunch of redneck racists here - quick, let's find some justification for our racism'.

    It ain't working.
    Several links provided. Nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    How is any of that racist? So what if they are Hispanic? They were still born in the US. And even if they weren't it isn't racist, but rather nationalistic and that isn't a problem. I don't get how anyone can say that what occurred is racist unless you are assuming that the Hispanic kids weren't born in the US (which itself would be racist).
    "ROSALBA AGUILLON, THOMAS EDISON HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT: Coming from a school that has, like, mainly Mexicans, I thought -- I thought that that was wrong. You know, like, they shouldn't have chanted that."

    See. Not racist. Nationalistic (if it was because they were Mexican) or ethnocentric (if the assumption was that Latinos aren't part of the USA culture. Given that even Rosalba said that she thought it was because there school was mostly "Mexican", then I may change my original assumption from ethnocentric to nationalistic.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    What is really a shame is that there are people like you who cannot see how this is even remotely prejudiced against the hispanic kids, when the example provided is quite clear.
    I'm not sure anyone said it wasn't prejudice. All I've seen is not racist. All prejudice is not without basis. All racism is.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  6. #266
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,960
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    "ROSALBA AGUILLON, THOMAS EDISON HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT: Coming from a school that has, like, mainly Mexicans, I thought -- I thought that that was wrong. You know, like, they shouldn't have chanted that."

    See. Not racist. Nationalistic (if it was because they were Mexican) or ethnocentric (if the assumption was that Latinos aren't part of the USA culture. Given that even Rosalba said that she thought it was because there school was mostly "Mexican", then I may change my original assumption from ethnocentric to nationalistic.
    Did you read what I posted? I am arguing that this thing is not racist
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #267
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    How is any of that racist? So what if they are Hispanic? They were still born in the US. And even if they weren't it isn't racist, but rather nationalistic and that isn't a problem. I don't get how anyone can say that what occurred is racist unless you are assuming that the Hispanic kids weren't born in the US (which itself would be racist).
    I remember a story of a boy awhile back who was told by his school not to have an American flag on the bike he rode to school. I remember thinking at the time, how does having that flag disparage anyone else? Same thing with this chant, how does chanting USA, in the USA, disparage any other country or nationality? Nobody has ever given me an answer to that.

  8. #268
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Two AMERICAN high schools and when one wins that is predominantly white over the other high school that is more mixed racial they chant USA?

    LMAO, well I have to say I'm never shocked by the ignorance and stupidity of people. Two american schools and one chants USA, to funny.

    Racist? Yes definitely for "some" involved.
    Prejudice? Yes definitely for "some" involved.
    Patriotic? There's no rational for me to believe that hogwash, that's just being naive or dishonest.
    Stupid and ignorant? Yes for all involved (they are HS kids though, I did plenty of stupid things)
    Blown out of proportion? Yes definitely for some.

    This reminds me when morons were trolling sports boards in the past when Argentina won the Olympics for basketball. These numbnuts were posting "white power!!! Argentina beat those blacks!!!"

    This was the purest example of stupidity I've ever seen since anybody that is truly racist AND/OR educated understands that any country in SOUTH AMERICA isn't exactly "white"
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  9. #269
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I remember a story of a boy awhile back who was told by his school not to have an American flag on the bike he rode to school. I remember thinking at the time, how does having that flag disparage anyone else? Same thing with this chant, how does chanting USA, in the USA, disparage any other country or nationality? Nobody has ever given me an answer to that.
    The bike to school I do not get in the way you are telling the story.
    In this case, and I admit I'm guessing based off of common sense and logic, it seems pretty clear the chant was based on the assumption, ignorance and stupidity that the other kids were NOT americans. But see my post 268# I don't think its a huge deal, just the typical stupidity often encountered in the world, not to mention they are HS kids.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  10. #270
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Racist? Texas high school apologizes for fans' 'USA!' chant after basketball game

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    The bike to school I do not get in the way you are telling the story.
    In this case, and I admit I'm guessing based off of common sense and logic, it seems pretty clear the chant was based on the assumption, ignorance and stupidity that the other kids were NOT americans. But see my post 268# I don't think its a huge deal, just the typical stupidity often encountered in the world, not to mention they are HS kids.
    Actually, the bike flag story was not the one I was thinking of. My bad. It was this one;

    Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees | NBC Bay Area

    Where students were told that it was disrespectful to wear American flag t-shirts in an American school on Cinco de Mayo and made to go home to change. My question, at the time, was how is the American flag disrespectful to Mexico? We're not at war that I'm aware of or anything.

Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •