Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

  1. #21
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    There are also 4 other states that have already passed a similar law. When over half of the state legislatures have an interest in something, it is a legitimate topic.

    You may not feel it is a legitimate issue, but that is why we discuss things.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    There are also 4 other states that have already passed a similar law. When over half of the state legislatures have an interest in something, it is a legitimate topic.

    You may not feel it is a legitimate issue, but that is why we discuss things.
    And it isn't legitimate just because you say so. Keep that in mind as well.

  3. #23
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws; critics say bill addresses made-up threat - The Washington Post

    This has nothing to do with a fear of anyone. That is hyperbole. I admit it is directed mainly at Sharia Law, but it also would eliminate the Biblical Law arguments against SSM etc.

    American should be governed by American laws and no others.
    If these kinds of laws are passed, what it may do, and be aimed at, is dis-allowing a defense attorney using an argument that says, "But it's legal in Iran. It's their culture, their religion." If that's the reason, I'm all for it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #24
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If these kinds of laws are passed, what it may do, and be aimed at, is dis-allowing a defense attorney using an argument that says, "But it's legal in Iran. It's their culture, their religion." If that's the reason, I'm all for it.
    They cannot use that argument now.

  5. #25
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    25 states have similar legislation.
    not yet they don't. the article say those states are pursuing legislation.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #26
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws; critics say bill addresses made-up threat - The Washington Post



    This has nothing to do with a fear of anyone. That is hyperbole. I admit it is directed mainly at Sharia Law, but it also would eliminate the Biblical Law arguments against SSM etc.

    American should be governed by American laws and no others.
    This is a complete and total waste of time and energy. There is no need to ban Sharia Law because- ZOMG!!!!!!11111- the US is not governed in any way whatsoever by Sharia Law. These legislators need to go and do some actual work. You know, like passing legislation that's actually useful and meaningful.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #27
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    The only actual example the article gives is that of a divorce granted to a Muslim couple in another country, presumably one where there couple has dual citizenship, or at least where the marriage was first entered into. Seems to me that, so long as there is some legal tie to the old country, it is perfectly legitimate for a couple to seek divorce somewhere else. On the other hand, if they are American citizens, who were married in America, they need to conform to American law.

    The only way I could see this being an issue is if one spouse seeks a divorce that American law would not grant, but another country would, and the other spouse does not want one. That is extraordinarily tricky, but I can't see the merit in forcing a couple to stay together when they don't want to. I do think this is overblown, as the application of Shariah or any other foreign considerations would only apply to domestic issues like these. No one who does not willingly have some connection to that culture already is ever going to be affected by it. I really don't see the need for this.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #28
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    These legislators need to go and do some actual work. You know, like passing legislation that's actually useful and meaningful.
    That's not going to happen, it's an election year.

    Both parties seem to have this idea that the electorate are braindead, and will accept silly political stunts as actual substance. I used to think it was insulting that they sold us short. Then I started coming to DP and saw how some people buy into whatever the party says hook, line and sinker. Now I think they might be on to something.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #29
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,227

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    Congress shall make no law ... prohibiting the free exercise... (of religion) But states can?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #30
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Florida mulls outlaw of Shariah, other foreign laws;

    The myth is that sharia aw is somehow in danger of replacing current laws.

    Judges can and do use all sorts of things to help them render judgement. But that is entirely different than replacing American laws with foreign laws.

    This is simple fear mongering.
    I may be wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •