Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 208

Thread: Another School Shooting

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Perhaps a mod wants to move this thread to the Basement out of sight?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #172
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    School Shootings in the US from 1700 onwards

    It didn't start with Columbine. What Columbine represents was the first significant one in a predominantly affluent white middle class area with enough "salacious" threads (Doom, Marilyn Manson, etc) during a point where the 24 hour news cycle and the internet was just beginning to get its initial foothold.
    That's exactly right. In fact my big worry at the time was copycats because of the infamy of 24 hour news coverage, I was so glad to be wrong on that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #173
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Perhaps a mod wants to move this thread to the Basement out of sight?

    I don't think the premise of this thread suffers from the patent dishonesty of the one you are referencing

  4. #174
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yes, and I assume a shooter at a kindergarten, like at that Jewish school in Los Angeles a few years ago, would also shoot at those toddlers whom he thought were unarmed.

    your point?

    That's right, because the shooter knew that no one in the school house was armed. Not the principle, the teachers, nor the janitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #175
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Armed people are probably more likely to be the ones committing the crime to. Guns dont just give people a way to defend themselves, they give criminals a means to turn people into victims.
    So do baseball bats and butcher knives. You want to outlaw those, too?

    Let's outlaw pepper spray, too.

    Female gang uses pepper spray in Aurora mugging | Seattle 911 — A Police and Crime Blog - seattlepi.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #176
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Another School Shooting

    I think this is the best explaination which looks at both views.

    The weapons effect is a finding in studies of aggression suggesting that the mere presence of a weapon, words describing weapons, or pictures of weapons, may facilitate an increased likelihood of aggression, especially among angered persons.
    The original investigation of a possible causal link between firearms and impulsive aggression was found by Berkowitz and LePage (1967). Under controlled laboratory conditions, previously angered and nonangered subjects were exposed to guns or neutral objects (badminton rackets) in the environment (on a table) and then given the opportunity to aggress. Results showed that angered subjects exposed to a rifle or revolver administered significantly more electric shocks than did those angered subjects exposed to neutral objects.

    More recent research has shown that weapon associated words – a “priming effect of weapons” or “weapons priming effect” – increases the likelihood of aggressive responses (Anderson, Benjamin, & Bartholomew, 1998), which is believed to be affected by context (e.g., hunting vs. assault weapons) and individual familiarity with weapons. Thus, some researchers suggest that weapons priming effects are diminished among frequent weapons users, and that there may be a heightened potential for weapon effects in societies with lower levels of weapons availability (Bartholow, Anderson, Carnagey, & Benjamin, 2005). Overall, then, the laboratory evidence for a “weapons effect” is robust. The empirical evidence for the effect in naturalistic or real world settings, however, is less so.

    Closely related to the weapons effect is the “offensive effect of a weapon,” which suggests that during altercations where there is a potential for violence, the presence of a knife or a gun may reduce the likelihood of actual violence as it plays a coercive role, allowing the weapon carrier to exert control over another with an increased threat of violence (Kleck & McElrath, 1991).
    Weapons effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  7. #177
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Thank you for the old All In the Family clips. It was the best show on TV and I remember it well.........May Carroll Oconner rest in peace.
    I find it rather funny that you were a fan of "all in the family". The show made complete fun of people like you. Maybe you didn't realize that.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #178
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    I think this is the best explaination which looks at both views.



    Weapons effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Okay. 1) Not relevent to the thread or the constitution 2) We still don't care. 3) It's United States business.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #179
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    I think this is the best explaination which looks at both views.



    Weapons effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Thanks for proving the point in the last paragraph: when a citizen shows a criminal a weapon, the criminal usually fears the threat enough to run away or surrender.


    Also note in the middle paragraph were frequent weapon users were less likely to experience the aggressive priming effect...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Another School Shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, they typically attack people that they know are unarmed.
    criminals walk around with x-ray vision?

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •