Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

  1. #41
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I think they clearly have a partisan agenda, just like Heritage and all the other partisan nonprofits. I think they serve a role in fact checking hyperpartisan right wing media sources. More often than not, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

    Would you grant the same leeway to Brent Bozell? or Breitbart, or NewsMax?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #42
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Would you grant the same leeway to Brent Bozell? or Breitbart, or NewsMax?

    j-mac
    Yes, I think they're all of a part. They all have a place. The problem is that people tend to focus exclusively on the sites that represent their particular leaning to the exclusion of all others. That just feeds existing biases and leads to an ever widening partisan divide.

  3. #43
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yes, I think they're all of a part. They all have a place. The problem is that people tend to focus exclusively on the sites that represent their particular leaning to the exclusion of all others. That just feeds existing biases and leads to an ever widening partisan divide.
    I listen to, watch, and source a wide variety of differing opinion but I have my own beliefs, and still get accused by many in here, including you of what you are describing.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #44
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce, in post #2, replying to the OP View Post
    Sounds like a personal conflict. I don't see how it's relevant to these links you're talking about. [...]
    Well, it's what the right does -- since they can rarely contest the facts brought by the messenger, they attack the messenger personally. Of course, anyone of any intelligence knows that does not refute the facts, but the right simply doesn't seem to care (since they use the same tactic over and over and over again).

    In fact, it is also what the right's media often does --- according to Fox, who has been after Media Matters for some time, Brock is a weirdo, Van Jones is a communist, ACORN is a child prostitutionist, Shirley Sherrod is a racist, Anita Dunn is a commie lover, Kevin Jennings is a pedophile, and Obama is -- well, the list for him is too long to list here. Suffice to say, none of these personal attacks have nothing to do with the particular person's public actions, deeds, or accomplishments, and everything to do with trying to smear them personally.

    And that's a really repugnant way to try and push one's agenda.
    Last edited by Karl; 02-28-12 at 08:35 PM.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac, replying to another View Post
    Would you grant the same leeway to Brent Bozell? or Breitbart, or NewsMax?
    Speaking for myself, given that the majority of those listed are proven liars, no.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Adam, you're a smart guy...In all seriousness, do you think that MM tells the unvarnished truth in their reports?
    Oh my, AdamT, you sure let yourself get suckered in by that one

    j-mac, if you want to have an independent panel investigate, fact check, and assign 'truth ratings' to all media, then have it and be sure to post the results. I think we all know who will be near the top (it won't be Fox) and who will be languishing near the bottom (it won't be MM).

  7. #47
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,081

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Whenever I have said the same of liberal left sites, I have been told in here to document the lies specifically. But yet, you think you get to just type this and get away with it? No, document what you think they are lying about.
    Just what I saw them do with the "journolist" crap is plenty of reason for me to ask for a better source from them that someone who wishes to remain anonymous.



    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What the....? This is the MSM main method of writing stories these days. Carlson claims the sources are inside MMFA so it makes sense that they would want their names withheld. But, I find it ironic that those on the left who consistantly took the word of shill outlets like WaPo, NYTimes, ACJ, MSNBC, Politico, HuffPost...etc. have the absolute nerve to come back and say 'well, you can't believe an article that gores my ox if it uses anonymus sourcing, that only is credible when talking of hit pieces against your guys'....It is laughable.
    I don't really care. If a main stream source uses anonymous sources, I'd still be skeptical. If it's a hackish rag like Daily Caller, I take it about as serious as I'd take it if I had seen it written on a bathroom stall.


    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Liberalism 101 is to call your opponent stupid enough to be 'duped'....It accomplishes nothing more than to make your argument look weak. But I suppose in the bitterly divided partisan soup that is today's politics thanks to Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What they have done is collude with the WH, and MSNBC to shape opinion of the easily duped.
    Jesus, you're just not worth my time. You wouldn't understand anything I try to tell you anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yes, I think they're all of a part. They all have a place. The problem is that people tend to focus exclusively on the sites that represent their particular leaning to the exclusion of all others. That just feeds existing biases and leads to an ever widening partisan divide.
    So should Brent Bozell, Breitbart and NewsMax, like Media matters, have tax exempt status?

  9. #49
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So should Brent Bozell, Breitbart and NewsMax, like Media matters, have tax exempt status?
    Presumably they are for-profit operations, so clearly they should not be tax exempt. They also take direct stands on political issues, unlike Media Matters, which only critiques other media outfits.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Media Matters boss paid former partner $850G 'blackmail' settlement

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Presumably they are for-profit operations, so clearly they should not be tax exempt. They also take direct stands on political issues, unlike Media Matters, which only critiques other media outfits.
    You mean they only critique Conservative or Republican media outlets, don't you?

    And if those mentioned can make a profit, why can't Media Matters? Their staff appears to be paid quite well in fact.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •