Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    The solution to the problem is clear and clearly suggested. What's the problem?
    the issue is that your side has FAILED to demonstrate that a significant problems exists in the first place.

    I ask again, how many people have been convicted of voter fraud since starting with the 2000 election cycle?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #82
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,269

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Really, that's the only reason you can see?
    Yes. What other reason is there?

  3. #83
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,269

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the issue is that your side has FAILED to demonstrate that a significant problems exists in the first place.

    I ask again, how many people have been convicted of voter fraud since starting with the 2000 election cycle?
    There is no way to know how big the problem is. But the fact that I can vote under someone elses name, is what should be addressed. Being able to prove that you are who you say you are at a polling station seems to be a minimum standard.

  4. #84
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yeah, sawyer, but other than that, how many?
    Good Socratic method. We got us some learn'n going on in here folks. Lookout, some
    Of them big werds are a comming this way.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #85
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,887

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    Really, that's the only reason you can see?
    Yes. What other reason is there?
    It is a violation of one's constitutional rights and the Voting Rights Act to prohibit a citizen from voting.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    There is no way to know how big the problem is. But the fact that I can vote under someone elses name, is what should be addressed. Being able to prove that you are who you say you are at a polling station seems to be a minimum standard.
    Yes there is. You provide the statistics asked for.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #87
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Call me old fashioned Maggie. You tell me there is a problem - I want to see that such a problem exists.

    Even on Sawyers list, lots of it was NOT for voter fraud at all.
    No...what are you afraid will happen if people are actually *gasp* required to show identification before voting?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    It is a violation of one's constitutional rights and the Voting Rights Act to prohibit a citizen from voting.
    No one is being prohibited from voting outside of the consitutional framework.

  9. #89
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    It is a violation of one's constitutional rights and the Voting Rights Act to prohibit a citizen from voting.
    We prevent citizens from voting all the time. There are restrictions, after all. What constitutional right do I have to vote without proving that I'm eligible? Please post wording. Same with Voting Rights Act.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #90
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    It is a violation of one's constitutional rights and the Voting Rights Act to prohibit a citizen from voting.
    So, if you fail to register prior to the deadline, and you are turned away from the polling booth, your Constitutional rights have been violated.... Registration is an acceptable minimum standard and yet showing a picture ID is unacceptable?
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •