Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #71
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Good work Sawyer. Now can you find out if the vote bullying included any wedgies or purple nurples?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  2. #72
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,266

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Many people, even if they do have an ID, don't have one that contains a current address. This is a bigger problem than you are trying to minimize it into.
    They have two years between elections to get that fixed. The only reason I can see to oppose needing a picture ID to vote is because you want to make it possible for someone to vote for someone else--voter fraud.

  3. #73
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    So its a very small number of people convicted of voter fraud, given the size of the US population.

    Good to know that our current system works well.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    So its a very small number of people convicted of voter fraud, given the size of the US population.

    Good to know that our current system works well.
    You probably think that everyone who smokes pot gets busted every time they do.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,659

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    So its a very small number of people convicted of voter fraud, given the size of the US population.

    Good to know that our current system works well.
    It is even more puny given the actual number of voters over that same time period.

    And I am still looking for an exact figure of how many people have been convicted of voter fraud over the last decade - let us say since the 2000 election cycle.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,659

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    You probably think that everyone who smokes pot gets busted every time they do.
    Irrelevant. You claim a problem. You propose a solution to the problem.

    What was skipped is quantifying the problem.

    Go back and try again with that part of it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #77
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It is even more puny given the actual number of voters over that same time period.

    And I am still looking for an exact figure of how many people have been convicted of voter fraud over the last decade - let us say since the 2000 election cycle.
    What are you so afraid of, Haymarket? Surely you have an I.D...
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,659

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    What are you so afraid of, Haymarket? Surely you have an I.D...
    Call me old fashioned Maggie. You tell me there is a problem - I want to see that such a problem exists.

    Even on Sawyers list, lots of it was NOT for voter fraud at all.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Irrelevant. You claim a problem. You propose a solution to the problem.

    What was skipped is quantifying the problem.

    Go back and try again with that part of it.
    The solution to the problem is clear and clearly suggested. What's the problem?

  10. #80
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    They have two years between elections to get that fixed. The only reason I can see to oppose needing a picture ID to vote is because you want to make it possible for someone to vote for someone else--voter fraud.
    Really, that's the only reason you can see?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggyD
    What are you so afraid of, Haymarket? Surely you have an I.D...
    The only people that are opposed to the government monitoring your every movement are those that have something to hide!
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •