Page 75 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #741
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Did someone miss the 1960's change (it was referenced right here in this thread) when people like Wallace were no longer wanted in the Democratic Party, at which point the majority of southern whites started turning to the GOP to continue baring the banner?
    So you're of the opinion that it was Republicans, and not Democrats, who were voting for George Wallace.

    Is that correct?


    Ed:
    Grant argued you can't go back 30 years to make a point (which I would refute because a whole lot of voters were adults 30 years ago) and you're trying to go back 90 years! Denying that any organization doesn't change a little over time is insane. Denying anything in politics persists more than a few decades (as long as living voters can remember) is worse.[/QUOTE]

  2. #742
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    However, I will note that since the vast majority of black people vote Democrat, and his claim is that the Democrats are the racists, would mean that he is inferring that black people are too stupid to know which party to vote for to preserve their own self interests -- which is a racist inference. So, by playing fast and lose with context (historically the South has been racist, while the North has opposed racism, regardless of political party affiliation -- and there was a big shift to the Republican party affiliation in the south when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed), the claim that Democrats are racists is -- in and of itself -- racist.
    How do you explain Robert Byrd? Not ‘southern’, not ‘Republican’, member of the KKK and not ‘racist’?

    Edit: the ad homs are the sign of a lost argument, fellas....
    CLASSIC hypocrisy as your use of ad hom’ is relentless.

  3. #743
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Ed:
    Grant argued you can't go back 30 years to make a point (which I would refute because a whole lot of voters were adults 30 years ago) and you're trying to go back 90 years! Denying that any organization doesn't change a little over time is insane. Denying anything in politics persists more than a few decades (as long as living voters can remember) is worse.
    You can quote me directly, and I did not say what you claim i said. There is too much of the disregard for facts going on here, and always from the Leftists.

  4. #744
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You can quote me directly, and I did not say what you claim i said. There is too much of the disregard for facts going on here, and always from the Leftists.
    I'm sorry, did I misunderstand your point here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    "The right is swaddled in racism" which is why you have to go back to 1981 to quote a man who can't defend himself.
    It seemed to me you were saying going back 30 years wasn't a good reference?
    Or were you saying quoting a dead man isn't a good reference?

    What were you saying if none of the above apply?



    Ed:
    And either way it would apply Woodrow Wilson - unless you have chosen "none of the above".
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 03-11-12 at 04:02 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #745
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So you're of the opinion that it was Republicans, and not Democrats, who were voting for George Wallace.

    Is that correct?
    No it isn't.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #746
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So you're of the opinion that it was Republicans, and not Democrats, who were voting for George Wallace.
    It was Southern Democrats, whose present-day equivalents are Republicans, who voted for him. And the civil rights movement, and subsequent legislation, is the reason that demographic left the Democratic Party to join the Republicans.

    History is not on your side here.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  7. #747
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, conservatives are against unnecessary regulation. Rebublicans, no matter what label they like to wear, are rarely actual conservatives.
    Are you obfuscating my point by twisting off in the distinction between Republicans and Conservatives or agreeing this is an unnecessary regulation that no right-minded conservative would support?

  8. #748
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    What makes this unnecessary?
    There is no problem to be solved, so why have a regulation?

    Again, my understanding is that conservatives do not believe in unnecessary government interference/regulation. My point is this is an example of conservative hypocrisy as conservatives are not against regulation per se, in fact, they love regulations that benefit them.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 03-11-12 at 04:13 PM.

  9. #749
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I'm sorry, did I misunderstand your point here? It seemed to me you were saying going back 30 years wasn't a good reference?
    Or were you saying quoting a dead man isn't a good reference?
    If "The right is swaddled in racism" as you claim, why is it necessary to go back 30 years to quote someone who is no longer alive to defend the accuracy or veracity of the quote?

    "Swaddled" would suggest commonplace, which means you should be able to find dozens of contemporaries around who are obvious racists.
    What were you saying if none of the above apply?
    It should be clear now.

  10. #750
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It was Southern Democrats,
    Exactly. It was Democrats who enacted racism, Jim Crow laws, etc., not Republicans.
    whose present-day equivalents are Republicans, who voted for him.
    Really? So present day Republicans are not allowing Black students into white only schools, have enacted Jim Crow laws, and so on? Perhaps an example or three might be in order.

    And the civil rights movement, and subsequent legislation, is the reason that demographic left the Democratic Party to join the Republicans.
    And you have polls to demonstrate this to be the case? Surveys? You've talked to these people?

    History is not on your side here.
    I prefer facts on my side rather than your version of history. You're confusing your conditioned beliefs with facts,

Page 75 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •