Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #721
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I did take a little time looking for stats and couldn't find much, either, which is why I asked. Without facts nothing is proved - and even then you have to be careful.

    My district works pretty good but it's relatively small (4 HS's) and suburban. The "main" school district (city center) has been in deep doo-doo for years and I'd like to see it get better. But, like I said, I've never seen an affordable alternate to public schools that proved to work any better. Inner-city districts always have issues.

    Well, it depends on what you want to see as 'proof'...If you are looking for something endorsed by teachers unions concerning voucher programs, or charters, good luck.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #722
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,965

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Get back to us on this when a non-partisan body, unlike the Department of Education investigates. Until then it's politics as usual.
    You seem to not like it when the heroes of the right wing are shown to be less than the gods many make them out to be. You also ignore the legal mandate of the Department of Education and the obvious fact that it is right and proper they investigate the spending of taxpayer money.

    Imagine what the warriors of the right would whine about if they did not fulfill this mandate?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #723
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I read the Freeper article, so I do know -- it was correlation/causation fallacy. That's so right.

    Freeper: Unwed births to black mothers has gone up since LBJ's mid-1960's Great Society implementation.

    Fact: Unwed births to all mothers -- globally -- has gone up since the mid-1960's.

    Observation: Your prior post, as well as the Freeper article you produced to support it, both reek of denigration based upon race (
    while studiouosly ignoring context).

    Ahh, yes! When there is nowhere else for a leftist to go they retreat to charges of racism.

    So is it your contention then that births to unwed mothers in the United States have gone up equally between Black women and women of other races? That the social programs the leftists initiated were a good thing for Black families?

    Despite $16 trillion in debt, and another record $229 billion increase in the debt last month alone, it's quite likely the leftists will continue to support an defend these social programs despite the damage they have caused to the United States and its people.

    The Black Family: 40 Years of Lies by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Summer 2005

    90.04.06: The African-American Family inCrisis

  4. #724
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Ahh, yes! When there is nowhere else for a leftist to go they retreat to charges of racism.

    So is it your contention then that births to unwed mothers in the United States have gone up equally between Black women and women of other races? That the social programs the leftists initiated were a good thing for Black families?

    Despite $16 trillion in debt, and another record $229 billion increase in the debt last month alone, it's quite likely the leftists will continue to support an defend these social programs despite the damage they have caused to the United States and its people.

    The Black Family: 40 Years of Lies by Kay S. Hymowitz, City Journal Summer 2005

    90.04.06: The African-American Family inCrisis


    Oh Snap!




    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #725
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    So let me get this straight there are those arguing that ……basically … you shouldn’t have to make any effort, any attempt, what-so-ever to prove you are eligible to vote in this country?? [...]
    Mmm, no -- you don't have it straight. The identity requirements of the past -- before the rash of ALEC-inspired Republican legislation -- were sufficient, given that there has been no significant proof to the contrary provided.

    Those requirements consisted of things like a drivers license, or a utility bill, or a school ID, a property tax bill, or basically any type of common evidence that you did indeed live in the district where you were trying to register and/or vote. All that worked just fine until Republicans began to scheme how they could further discourage potential Democratic voters from participating in elections (which has been their modus operandi for over a generation).

  6. #726
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    All that worked just fine until Republicans began to scheme how they could further discourage potential Democratic voters from participating in elections (which has been their modus operandi for over a generation).
    And the major thrust of that nefarious scheme is to ensure that only those eligible to vote are the ones casting their ballots?

    I can see why the Democrats would do everything they could to fight against such a plan. They would lose their base.

  7. #727
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant, replying to Karl View Post
    Ahh, yes! When there is nowhere else for a leftist to go they retreat to charges of racism. [...]
    The right is swaddled in racism. Has been so for decades. Ergo, it is not a charge, but merely an observation of historical fact.

    1981: GOP Strategist Discusses Use of Racist Appeals, Code Words in Campaign Strategies


    Lee Atwater. [Source: NNDB (.com)]Republican political strategist Lee Atwater, in a discussion with political science professor Alexander Lamis, discusses the Republican strategy of using racism to win elections. Lamis will later quote Atwater in his book Southern Politics in the 1990s. Atwater takes Lamis through the evolution of Republican appeals to racism: “You start out in 1954 by saying, ‘N_gger, n_gger, n_gger.’ By 1968 you can’t say ‘n_gger’—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff. You’re getting so abstract now [that] you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I’m not saying that. But I’m saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, ‘We want to cut this,’ is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than ‘N_gger, n_gger.’” Atwater will go on to manage the 1988 presidential campaign of George H. W. Bush, where he will oversee the use of what is considered one of the most overtly racist campaign ads in modern history, the “Willie Horton” ad (see September 21 - October 4, 1988). [New York Times, 10/6/2005]


    History Commons: Republican Party

  8. #728
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The right is swaddled in racism. Has been so for decades. Ergo, it is not a charge, but merely an observation of historical fact.
    Historical fact is the Democratic party is the racist party. I believe Democrats are the only party which had a former KKK recruiter as one of it's oldest and most prominent Congressional members. Jim Crow laws? Product of the Democrats. Segregation in Woodrow Wilson's White House? Absolutely...


    Keep trying to change history Karl. I love correcting you and you certainly keep me busy.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #729
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant, replying to Karl View Post
    And the major thrust of that nefarious scheme is to ensure that only those eligible to vote are the ones casting their ballots? [....]
    Since we all know that there are statistically no ineligible people voting -- that would be deterred by the Republican government photo ID laws -- the nefarious scheme is the huge scam which your post promulgates.

    It would be like passing a law that everyone must wear a tin foil hat to prevent abduction by aliens. There is an urgent need for that law; it would benefit millions, as well as the integrity of the country as a whole. As a side benefit, we could all begin receiving the right wing moonbeam transmissions that are apparently the source of some of the posts we see around here

  10. #730
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Historical fact is the Democratic party is the racist party. I believe Democrats are the only party which had a former KKK recruiter as one of it's oldest and most prominent Congressional members. Jim Crow laws? Product of the Democrats. Segregation in Woodrow Wilson's White House? Absolutely...

    Keep trying to change history Karl. I love correcting you and you certainly keep me busy.
    Go sell that snake oil at the next NAACP convention.... then tell us what you learned about history

Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •