Page 63 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #621
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    All States have a history of racism. It's what's happening today that counts.

    And who is trying to suppress the minority vote? Will any minority be denied access to ID?

    Pre-Clearance

    In its first decision on the laws, Justice’s Civil Rights Division said South Carolina’s statute is discriminatory because its registered minority voters are nearly 20 percent more likely than whites to lack a state-issued photo ID. Under the 1965 Voting Rights Act, South Carolina is one of a number of states that are required to receive federal “pre-clearance” on voting changes to ensure that they don’t hurt minorities’ political power.
    Justice Dept. rejects South Carolina voter ID law, calling it discriminatory - The Washington Post

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  2. #622
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    j-mac, since you said that SC overcame every hurdle listed by Mo please show me where in the text of the South Carolina Voter ID Law that it says it will resolve issues related to taking time off work and paying for special transportation.

    2011-2012 Bill 3003: Voter ID - www.scstatehouse.gov - South Carolina Legislature Online
    From a USA Today article...

    The law allows exemptions for a voter who can't or won't provide a photo ID, including signing an affidavit that states the voter "suffers from a reasonable impediment" preventing the elector from securing a photo ID or "has a religious objection" to being photographed, the complaint states.

    S.C. sues feds for blocked voter ID law

    Tell me how this would disinfranchize supposedly your protected class of voter?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #623
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88, replying to Karl View Post
    They're both making silly emotional appeals. Given this thread, it seems to be working.
    The Democrats are analysing the facts.
    The Republicans are lying.
    Where is the silliness and the emotion? I can understand the Republicans flailing about as their agenda is exposed, which will of course result in silliness (such as the premise of their attack -- rampant voter fraud) and emotional/racist appeals ('normal' people have ID).

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That 's if you assume that black people can't or won't get ID. Maybe the Democrats should focus on making sure all of these people have ID.
    Your argument for placing an unnecessary burden on minorities is simply that they should bear it. That's pretty cold. Here's your emotional appeal: Black folk, jump thru the white man's hoops, simply because they say so -- or else don't vote.

    Here's another emotional appeal: What's next? Mandatory circumcision?

    A third: Maybe the Republicans should focus on making sure all of "these people" have ID tattooed on the inside of their forearm.

  4. #624
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    From a USA Today article...

    Tell me how this would disinfranchize supposedly your protected class of voter?


    j-mac
    (b) If an elector does not produce a valid and current photograph identification because the elector suffers from a reasonable impediment that prevents the elector from obtaining photograph identification, he may complete an affidavit under the penalty of perjury at the polling place and affirm that the elector: (i) is the same individual who personally appeared at the polling place; (ii) cast the provisional ballot on election day; and (iii) the elector suffers from a reasonable impediment that prevents him from obtaining photograph identification. The elector also shall list the impediment, unless otherwise prohibited by state or federal law. Upon completion of the affidavit, the elector may cast a provisional ballot. The affidavit must be submitted with the provisional ballot envelope and be filed with the county board of registration and elections before certification of the election by the county board of canvassers.

    (2) If the county board of registration and elections determines that the voter was challenged only for the inability to provide proof of identification and the required affidavit is submitted, the county board of registration and elections shall find that the provisional ballot is valid unless the board has grounds to believe the affidavit is false.
    What "grounds" are there to believe the affidavit is false? "grounds" seems vague. This allows too much wiggle room and allows for individuals to judge. This does not say that they have proven the affidavit is false, but that they believe it to be.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #625
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    From a USA Today article... Tell me how this would disinfranchize supposedly your protected class of voter?
    Tell me why people should be forced to sign an affidavit to submit a provisional ballot?

    Why?

  6. #626
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    All States have a history of racism. It's what's happening today that counts. [...]
    They you will agree that all felons, who have completed their sentence, should be allowed to vote.

    After all, it's what's happening today that counts. Correct?

  7. #627
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    What "grounds" are there to believe the affidavit is false? "grounds" seems vague. This allows too much wiggle room and allows for individuals to judge. This does not say that they have proven the affidavit is false, but that they believe it to be.
    Um, no ID....? They are allowed to vote, no one is disenfranchised. Period.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #628
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Um, no ID....? They are allowed to vote, no one is disenfranchised. Period.
    Oops... you fell off the truth train there:

    Voters who don't provide an excuse for not having a photo ID can vote, but the vote wouldn't count until they return to the board of registration and elections to provide a photo ID, according to the complaint.

    from your USA Today link (post #622)
    Better run so you can catch it . . . .

  9. #629
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Oops... you fell off the truth train there:



    Better run so you can catch it . . . .

    Or they can sign an affidavit and vote in a provisional ballot.

    Catch your own train....

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #630
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Without the clueless and undereducated the Democrats would be very unlikely to win elections, and they know that. Of course the unspoken line here from the Democrats is that these people are too ignorant to get an ID card without government assistance and supervision. Yet they want to be sure these same people get out and vote. It's funny, isn't it.
    Really? Here all this time I thought that the educational institutions were all hotbeds of liberal thought and indoctrination. How is it, then, that it is the uneducated who vote Democratic?

    It seems to me that it is the uneducated who vote party line, whether it is R or D, without thought as to who they're voting for or what the issues are.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 63 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •