Page 62 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #611
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I agree Grant that ID is relatively simple to obtain, even in the poorest of situations, however, if libs are going to hang their hat on the recipient class voter not having the money, or transportation to obtain these ID's, which BTW, if you don't have an ID life is that much harder, But if they can't get them because of their station in life, then the law that SC passed concerning ID should have NO basis for being blocked by Holder, and the lack of liberal response to me when I point this out tells me that the whole access thing is a false canard to begin with.

    We should be focusing on all of the former ACORN members in multiple states now convicted of intentional voter registration fraud, and realizing where there is smoke....etc.


    j-mac
    Yes, J-Mac, and (former?) ACORN members like Barrack Hussein Obama.

    And we also know the reasons why Democrats are against any voter ID, but they cannot say it out loud.

    How can any Democrat admit they rely on the clueless and undereducated for their votes? Instead they will use their fall-back position of saying it goes against the poor, homeless, and the otherwise afflicted, with the implication being that they genuinely care about these people.

    Without the clueless and undereducated the Democrats would be very unlikely to win elections, and they know that. Of course the unspoken line here from the Democrats is that these people are too ignorant to get an ID card without government assistance and supervision. Yet they want to be sure these same people get out and vote. It's funny, isn't it.

  2. #612
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,183

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Absolutely...outcries against this are phony, and meant to keep the flaws in the system in place to be exploited.


    j-mac
    Outcries against this are phony because the whole issue is phony. It's meant to distract us from the fact that NEITHER party has made the economy any better. If we actually paid attention to that none of them would get re-elected.

    The idea that one party is in favor of voter fraud and the other against it is . Not that it'll stop those who prefer red Kool-Aid to blue Kool-Aid from saying exactly that stupid ****.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #613
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,183

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    And we also know the reasons why Democrats are against any voter ID, but they cannot say it out loud.
    And we know why Republicans favor it. It helps them win an election. They want to stop people from voting because it helps them win. What's hilarious is that you basicallly admit it every time.

    Question: What is Santorum's problem with higher education if the uneducated all vote for Democrats? Seems that he would applaud higher education since smart people all vote for Republicans.

    But go on and spout the crap that it's about "fairness" if it makes you feel better.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #614
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, J-Mac, and (former?) ACORN members like Barrack Hussein Obama.

    And we also know the reasons why Democrats are against any voter ID, but they cannot say it out loud.

    How can any Democrat admit they rely on the clueless and undereducated for their votes? Instead they will use their fall-back position of saying it goes against the poor, homeless, and the otherwise afflicted, with the implication being that they genuinely care about these people.

    Without the clueless and undereducated the Democrats would be very unlikely to win elections, and they know that. Of course the unspoken line here from the Democrats is that these people are too ignorant to get an ID card without government assistance and supervision. Yet they want to be sure these same people get out and vote. It's funny, isn't it.
    Grant, just to clarify, you are saying that 1) the dems do not care about the poor, homeless and afflicted and 2) dems want ignorant people to vote?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #615
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I said right away that comparing it to Jim Crow laws was useless hyperbole. Saying that it somehow means "blacks can't vote" is as ridiculous [...]

    It's all based on the idea that it'll suppress Democratic turnout. [....] false appeals to race work with the Democratic base
    While it may be hyperbole, the fact that blacks vote mostly Democratic (90%-ish) means that it will disproportionately suppress the black vote. Therefore it is not a false appeal to race.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    [...] as ridiculous as saying t will "put an end to voter fraud." [....] appealing to "fairness" sounds better to the Republican base, [....]
    Ending voter fraud is not ridiculous or hyperbole, but -- based on the lack of voter fraud evidence presented by the legislatures pushing these laws -- it is a lie (not that there may be some voter fraud, but that the photo ID laws are needed to prevent it). This is a much more serious breach of the public trust than mere hyperbole that is based in actual fact.

    So... the Democrats are appealing to their base with a reasonable argument ("blacks can't vote)
    while the Republicans are appealing to their base with propaganda ("put an end to voter fraud.") (that's not the actual intent).

    Given the Republican track record with the truth over the past decade, that is par for the course.

  6. #616
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac, replying to another View Post
    [...] SC in their law had in there to overcome every hurdle you list here and are still being sued to block it from being implemented....Why? [...]
    Because, according to the U.S. Dept. of Justice, SC has a history of racism.

    Of course you are already aware of that (in our previous exchange), making it curious why you continue to offer your state up for repeated ridicule. Playing the victim card?

    We're trying to suppress the minority vote, and the federal government is being mean to us... boo hoo!
    Last edited by Karl; 03-04-12 at 10:53 AM.

  7. #617
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,000

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    That is a great post and great point sir. I typed up a post about this last night but had a pet mishap take it down. Fat cat that likes to jump on the desk and land on the keyboard kind. Basically IMO the entire premise of the thread is what is generally known as a galaxy sized STRAWMAN. The premise is that if you are for photo ID voter laws you are FOR "disenfranchising" the same protected class, even if you agree to jump through rings of fire as you get them to the DMV, the court house and don't forget, the polls and anything else they need in order not to be inconvenienced! And then even if you wipe their ass for them when it is all done? You are by nature trying to disenfranchise them. Oh yes, the deep thinkers here say it is so, therefore it must be. Meanwhile, did you know that in the "information age" that you are not required by, I guess, most states or perhaps all of them, to have a state issued ID? The deep thinkers also say it is so, therefore it must be.
    Actually the false premise at work in this thread is pushed by those who claim that voter fraud is a significant problem that demands action when they are completely impotent to present any compelling evidence of a problem that exists to any extent.

    You keep acting as the doctor who tells us we should get some uncomfortable therapy for having a certain disease when you offer no test showing we have that disease in the first place.

    So let us go back to square one: WHERE IS YOUR COMPELLING EVIDENCE OF A SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM OF VOTER FRAUD IN AMERICAN ELECTIONS?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #618
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,183

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    While it may be hyperbole, the fact that blacks vote mostly Democratic (90%-ish) means that it will disproportionately suppress the black vote. Therefore it is not a false appeal to race.
    That 's if you assume that black people can't or won't get ID. Maybe the Democrats should focus on making sure all of these people have ID.



    So... the Democrats are appealing to their base with a reasonable argument ("blacks can't vote)
    while the Republicans are appealing to their base with propaganda ("put an end to voter fraud.") (that's not the actual intent).

    They're both making silly emotional appeals. Given this thread, it seems to be working.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #619
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    QUOTE=rocket88;1060258548]And we know why Republicans favor it. It helps them win an election. They want to stop people from voting because it helps them win. What's hilarious is that you basicallly admit it every time.[/QUOTE]

    Admit it every time? I'm pointing it out frequently. The clueless and uneducated vote for Democrats and more responsible people vote for Republicans. The fact that this has to be pointed out to you yet again strongly indicates into which category you fall.
    Question: What is Santorum's problem with higher education if the uneducated all vote for Democrats? Seems that he would applaud higher education since smart people all vote for Republicans.
    Of course every responsible person wants its citizenry to be better educated, with the exception of the Democrats. Why else do you suppose BHO canceled the Opportunity Scholarship Program funding while his own children go to a private school?

    President

    But go on and spout the crap that it's about "fairness" if it makes you feel better.
    Fairness and equal opportunity is "crap". Spoken like a true Democrat,
    Last edited by Grant; 03-04-12 at 11:04 AM.

  10. #620
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Because, according to the U.S. Dept. of Justice, SC has a history of racism.

    Of course you are already aware of that (in our previous exchange), making it curious why you continue to offer your state up for repeated ridicule. Playing the victim card?

    We're trying to suppress the minority vote, and the federal government is being mean to us... boo hoo!
    All States have a history of racism. It's what's happening today that counts.

    And who is trying to suppress the minority vote? Will any minority be denied access to ID?

Page 62 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •