Page 60 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #591
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    That is a great post and great point sir. I typed up a post about this last night but had a pet mishap take it down. Fat cat that likes to jump on the desk and land on the keyboard kind. Basically IMO the entire premise of the thread is what is generally known as a galaxy sized STRAWMAN. The premise is that if you are for photo ID voter laws you are FOR "disenfranchising" the same protected class, even if you agree to jump through rings of fire as you get them to the DMV, the court house and don't forget, the polls and anything else they need in order not to be inconvenienced! And then even if you wipe their ass for them when it is all done? You are by nature trying to disenfranchise them. Oh yes, the deep thinkers here say it is so, therefore it must be. Meanwhile, did you know that in the "information age" that you are not required by, I guess, most states or perhaps all of them, to have a state issued ID? The deep thinkers also say it is so, therefore it must be.

    Well, it is the first thing that a police officer asks for when you are being detained for ANY reason....If you don't have one, then it could be a long night in most large cities.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #592
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    [...] And Holder still sued. [...] Face it, libs are so against this it lends credence to the thought that maybe they believe that they can't win an election unless they cheat.
    The Justice Department must approve changes to South Carolina's election laws under the federal Voting Rights Act because of the state's past failure to protect the voting rights of blacks. It is one of nine states that require the agency's approval.

    South Carolina Voter ID Law: Justice Department Blocks Controversial Legislation
    It appears that "your state" of South Carolina is the one with the history of cheating.
    Last edited by Karl; 03-03-12 at 06:56 PM.

  3. #593
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    [...] I typed up a post about this last night but had a pet mishap take it down. Fat cat that likes to jump on the desk and land on the keyboard kind. [...]
    Interesting variation of "the dog ate my homework".

    Here's your grade: Fail

  4. #594
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, it is the first thing that a police officer asks for when you are being detained for ANY reason....If you don't have one, then it could be a long night in most large cities.
    Oooh... here's your grade too:







    Fact: In most, if not all, states there is no law requiring a non-driver to produce ID for a police officer.

  5. #595
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac
    Face it, libs are so against this it lends credence to the thought that maybe they believe that they can't win an election unless they cheat.
    Face if, the cons are so intent on imposing unnecessary laws despite lack of evidence of a reason, it lends credence to the thought that they can't win an election unless they cheat.

    So much so that a former Republican official admits it.

    Royal Masset, the former political director for the Republican Party of Texas said, in a 2007 Houston Chronicle article, that requiring photo IDs could cause enough of a dropoff in legitimate Democratic voting to add 3 percent to the Republican vote.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  6. #596
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Face if, the cons are so intent on imposing unnecessary laws despite lack of evidence of a reason, it lends credence to the thought that they can't win an election unless they cheat.

    So much so that a former Republican official admits it.

    Royal Masset, the former political director for the Republican Party of Texas said, in a 2007 Houston Chronicle article, that requiring photo IDs could cause enough of a dropoff in legitimate Democratic voting to add 3 percent to the Republican vote.
    Actually you are both wrong and right at the same time. There are republicans and democrats, as well as conservatives and liberals on both sides of the issue! Of course to argue there is no voter fraud issue is fallacious and besides the point. But sure, let us pretend there is no voter fraud. As stated earlier, must be time to trot out the voter fraud prosecution rates and start the organ grinding.............

  7. #597
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I'm sorry -- did you have a pertinent question?

    If not, why should I be expected to address any other?

    Now I do have a pertinent question, which I have yet to see answered: Given that all these new and proposed gov't photo ID voter laws are claimed to be in response to voting fraud, where is the evidence of this voting fraud?
    I said that I didn't know that there was a problem. See how easy it is to answer a question? It's not hard. Want to give it one more go?

    Why wouldn't 15 million people not be able to prove they were citizens?

    Come on, give it a try.

  8. #598
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, it is the first thing that a police officer asks for when you are being detained for ANY reason....If you don't have one, then it could be a long night in most large cities.

    Maybe it does, but that doesn't mean that carrying ID at all times is required by law. If you think it should be...well, maybe I don't feel that I need the government telling me what to do. That would be an interesting turn about if you're in favor of government intrusion and I am not.

    I guess I just can't figure this out. The economy is still in bad shape, and instead of taking measures to improve that, Republicans are focused on this and on who pays for contraceptives. WTF?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #599
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88, replying to another View Post
    Maybe it does, but that doesn't mean that carrying ID at all times is required by law. If you think it should be...well, maybe I don't feel that I need the government telling me what to do. That would be an interesting turn about if you're in favor of government intrusion and I am not. [...]
    Indeed. The right clearly thinks everyone should be required to carry a government issued identity document at all times. Now, this is the same right that resents a) an intrusive government, and b) a large government and champions c) individual liberty.

    Next, the right thinks that you should be able to prove that you are a citizen. My question is, what happens if you cannot? Or will not? Based upon right wing positions in the recorded past, if you are not a citizen (or cannot prove you are a citizen) then you don't have any rights. As we've seen in Gitmo (and elsewhere), the right wing position is that if you don't have any rights, then you can be imprisoned and tortured (or at least, aggressively interrogated) indefinitely.

    At this point, let's all remind ourselves that the right calls themselves patriots. While they are torturing -- sometimes to death -- citizens that refuse to produce a government issued identity document. Granny came to vote, and Paul Ryan shoves her off a cliff . . . .

    Shocking
    Last edited by Karl; 03-03-12 at 08:57 PM.

  10. #600
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,562

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Indeed. The right clearly thinks everyone should be required to carry a government issued identity document at all times. Now, this is the same right that resents a) an intrusive government, and b) a large government and champions c) individual liberty.

    Next, the right thinks that you should be able to prove that you are a citizen. My question is, what happens if you cannot? Or will not? Based upon right wing positions in the recorded past, if you are not a citizen (or cannot prove you are a citizen) then you don't have any rights. As we've seen in Gitmo (and elsewhere), the right wing position is that if you don't have any rights, then you can be imprisoned and tortured (or at least, aggressively interrogated) indefinitely.

    At this point, let's all remind ourselves that the right calls themselves patriots. While they are torturing -- sometimes to death -- citizens that refuse to produce a government issued identity document. Granny came to vote, and Paul Ryan shoves her off a cliff . . . .

    Shocking
    If you're referring to the patriot act, the NDAA, or the many other bill of rights violating acts, then you can point your finger at both the democrats and the republicans, so stop labeling these as right wing policies.

    Besides, Libertarians in general are very opposed to all such legislation.

    @everyone
    I think everyone is making this more complicated than it needs be. We can argue all day about whether an ID is needed to prove your identity to prevent fraud, but regardless of what you believe on the subject, I wish we could all just get together and acknowledge that it's ridiculous to liken this to Jim Crow laws or state sponsored racism.

    If you see an ID requirement as "blacks can't vote", then maybe you should check out your own prejudices or do something yourself to help break down the racial barriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 60 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •