Page 58 of 82 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #571
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I actually haven't been to Canada in a while. I would like to. I used to go to Canada frequently, and back then I wasn't usually asked for any ID whatsoever at either side of the border. That was before 9/11 though. Last time I went I was with a citizen of Japan who was studying in the US. No hassle. She showed her passport, they took a quick look and waved us through
    Yeah, all of that changed a couple years ago. It's a real PITA depending on where you are entering and exiting. I made the mistake of leaving at one of the Niagra Falls exits during the day. It took us around 4 hours to get out.

    I thought they did make it so that you needed a passport to re-enter the US. Could be wrong. Even a birth certificate doesn't prove citizenship. You could be a naturalized citizen and still vote, at which point your birthplace is only an issue if you run for President. At any rate, documentation required to enter Canada is irrelevant when it comes to voting.
    You now need a passport. But yes, irrelevant.

  2. #572
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    I'll be sure to quote this thread on "hat" day at DP next year. I'm certain "college professors" who also cabby but can't answer a single question will be strong contenders. Though strong money says you won't be around.

    EDIT: I'm sorry Karl & Haymarket and other ilk, but is this internet profile worse than that of most TV sitcoms? Seriously? College professor/cab driver that has internet time? Please, I know as I type this, you are lurking. So the second I post this, could you two giants of intellect please go ahead and do what you do? Please? Pretty please?
    Are you implying that I cannot be intelligent because I am working class and a "liberal academic".

    First, learn to read, my profile says "College Instructor" and "Dispatcher", I do what I need to get by.
    Second, I work two jobs and I make time for my hobbies.
    Third, apparently you cannot back up your ill-informed, misguided and ignorant assertion that we need to have ID on our persons.
    Fourth, I hope you find a nice hat for hat day.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  3. #573
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,785

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    I'll be sure to quote this thread on "hat" day at DP next year. I'm certain "college professors" who also cabby but can't answer a single question will be strong contenders. Though strong money says you won't be around.

    EDIT: I'm sorry Karl & Haymarket and other ilk, but is this internet profile worse than that of most TV sitcoms? Seriously? College professor/cab driver that has internet time? Please, I know as I type this, you are lurking. So the second I post this, could you two giants of intellect please go ahead and do what you do? Please? Pretty please?
    After reading this.... combined with differences in your earlier posts .... I suspect we do not speak the same language. I have no idea what your point is.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #574
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    After reading this.... combined with differences in your earlier posts .... I suspect we do not speak the same language. I have no idea what your point is.
    Gie's point is apparently that I am
    Quote Originally Posted by Gie View Post
    A poorly drawn and utterly ignorant character. Er college pro and cabbie.


    I guess I must be ignorant because I have no idea where this attack came from.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #575
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    As far as having a SS card goes, it is a very rare occurrence to run into someone without one. No excuse though? You can't dictate people's choices in life. Some people still set up housekeeping the old fashioned way where Mom stays home and Dad works. The Amish probably don't have much need for them, either.
    You can't substitute a SS number fro a picture ID. The illegals have SS numbers, anyway a lot of them do, all bogus of course.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #576
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post

    Voter fraud is a serious matter.

    0.00009%

    That's serious?

  7. #577
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,785

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    Gie's point is apparently that I am



    I guess I must be ignorant because I have no idea where this attack came from.
    You dared to oppose a political belief and in doing so a target was placed upon your body. Some feel that it is easier to attack the person rather than the difficult task of attacking the idea.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #578
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    0.00009%

    That's serious?
    If voter fraud could be accurately tracked, there would be no fraud. I would care to speculate this number being much higher in reality, but without a study I obviously have no facts to back it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #579
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,785

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    If voter fraud could be accurately tracked, there would be no fraud. I would care to speculate this number being much higher in reality, but without a study I obviously have no facts to back it up.
    Nor does anyone in this entire thread who advocates that there is a significant voter fraud problem.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #580
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Nor does anyone in this entire thread who advocates that there is a significant voter fraud problem.
    The point is, there is absolutely no way to track voter fraud, because the state is inherently unaware of the successful ones. It follows simple logic that in the age of identity theft, a form of ID should be used to identify voters and keep the integrity of our voting system. "Taking someone's word for it" is naive.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 58 of 82 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •