Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 820

Thread: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

  1. #41
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    Nope. I was not talking to you. I just did not get the post in quickly enough.
    Ok, sorry.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  2. #42
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    Are you going to vote in the next election? If so you should care. We have to decide which crooked thieving lier is going to lead our nation for the next four years.
    So I have the choice of the lesser of two evils? My point exactly. Do I vote for the person who is accused of criminal / terrorist affiliations or do I vote for the person who is accused of being bankrolled / bought by a multi-millionaire's for their own entertainment?

    I would prefer to vote for the person who does not have anyone accusing them of any untoward behavior, but that is not going to happen here, because we fight dirty.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  3. #43
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law - chicagotribune.com

    We have gone through so many years in the United States without Voter ID laws, and we now suddenly need them? Voter fraud is not something that is not common in the United States and this seems like an attempt to disenfranchise certain sets of voters.
    Actually, after every election where Republicans win, the news is awash with stories of alleged voter fraud and "disenfranchisement."

    But if you say it's not common, and those stories are bogus, I tend to agree.
    ďOffing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.Ē-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #44
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Actually, after every election where Republicans win, the news is awash with stories of alleged voter fraud and "disenfranchisement."

    But if you say it's not common, and those stories are bogus, I tend to agree.
    I guess there is no way we can ever "know", but I like to think that people are generally good. From all the bad out there that we see on TV etc.. it does not seem like it, but no one tells stories about the scout who helped the old lady across the street anymore.

    Republicans win, Dems win, lots of noise about something. When do we win?

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

  5. #45
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    "Akin to Jim Crow?" Hyperbole much?

    My only problem with requiring ID is this: it wouldn't solve voter fraud. It would just mean that you need a fake ID to do it. Fake ID's aren't that hard to get, and any well financed group with a vested interest in the outcome of the election can (and probably will) game the system.

    It's also such a small problem. Something like 1% or less of votes cast. It's a solution in search of a problem.

    The Republicans insistence on this makes me wonder if it's just that they've already figured out how to game that system. Democrats hate it because they haven't yet.

    All this talk of "it'll solve voter fraud" or "it'll disenfranchise people" is all just the partisan BS that the two parties are putting into it. Some of you are buying it hook, line and sinker.
    Last edited by rocket88; 02-25-12 at 11:17 AM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #46
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    No, there is no way to know who marked a ballot, but when you approach the poll workers to get a ballot you have to verify your name and address to make sure you are at the correct polling place. If someone is registered as Adolf Hitler, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, I think someone at some point would notice. The city / county clerks have to put your info at the correct polling place so they do see names and addresses.
    Telling the poll worker a name and party affiliation and the poll worker handing you a sign in sheet is not verification of anything.Verify implies that they made sure that something is correct by way of researching, comparing or examining something. Someone telling you their alleged name doesn't verify anything except that maybe the name they provided matches the one of the sheet, it does not prove who you are.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by taxigirl View Post
    I'm walking down the street, a police officer says "Can I see some ID", I say "Am I being detained?" the officer replies "No", I continue walking.
    I think you may walk to jail.

  8. #48
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    "Akin to Jim Crow?" Hyperbole much?

    My only problem with requiring ID is this: it wouldn't solve voter fraud. It would just mean that you need a fake ID to do it. Fake ID's aren't that hard to get, and any well financed group with a vested interest in the outcome of the election can (and probably will) game the system.

    It's also such a small problem. Something like 1% or less of votes cast. It's a solution in search of a problem.

    The Republicans insistence on this makes me wonder if it's just that they've already figured out how to game that system. Democrats hate it because they haven't yet.

    All this talk of "it'll solve voter fraud" or "it'll disenfranchise people" is all just the partisan BS that the two parties are putting into it. Some of you are buying it hook, line and sinker.
    You make some very valid points here. Thanx.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    To those who believe actual voter fraud exists and is a problem: how many people have been convicted of voter fraud in the last decade?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #50
    Educator
    taxigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-21-16 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,205

    Re: ACLU Leader Says Voter ID Law Akin to Jim Crow-Era Law

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Telling the poll worker a name and party affiliation and the poll worker handing you a sign in sheet is not verification of anything.Verify implies that they made sure that something is correct by way of researching, comparing or examining something. Someone telling you their alleged name doesn't verify anything except that maybe the name they provided matches the one of the sheet, it does not prove who you are.
    I'll give you the matching part, but I still think voter ID is a bad precedent.

    And, WHOA Nelly, you do not have to reveal your party affiliation. You do not even have to have a party affiliation. In a closed primary you do, not in an open primary or a general election.

    "You know, when they came and took away my fourth amendment I kept my yap shut, what the hell, I really didnít have anything to hide anyway. When they grabbed up my second amendment I sat still and bit my tongue because, truth be told, Iím allergic to guns. But here we are, you with your cold hard fingers wrapped around the neck of my first amendment and Iíve got to shout as loud as I can, because if I donít, before you know it, you wonít let me say nothing at all"
    --Randolph J. Dworkin

    ďReading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.Ē
    -- Ben Franklin

    "It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world"
    -- Chaos Theory

Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •